Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UPDATE:
Okay, I just set up apollo's reservation for Kennelwood village from May 9th-16th the lady was SO nice. He's gunna get a standard sized room with an outdoor run attached. I wanted to get him something fancier but A.) we can't afford it and B.) I figured it would be best if apollo was able to use the run to potty instead of having a stranger try to take him on a walk on a <gasp> leash and C.) does apollo really NEED a satellite tv with a tropical themed room and a toddler bed? uh..no.

I also have the option for apollo to attend doggy daycare for 4 hours a day for $18.50. I think that we will send him to the day care 3 out of the 7 days he'll be there. AND the daycare package also includes a frosty paws and a busybone. So I think he will have fun during the stay. I hope all works out. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and help and reccomendations. It made it much easier to pick a good place that I can trust.

The people that we thought would be able to watch Apollo in the evenings while he stayed in his crate said they can't do it. Now if you don't know Sam and I are moving back to St. Louis, MO in 3 days and Sam doesn't have the money to move into an apartment yet so he and the ferrets will be staying with his aunt and uncle, the cats will stay with his dad, and I will stay with my mother (who's apartment doesn't allow dogs of apollo's size) so we are in a HUGE bind to find somewhere for apollo to stay while sam gets into an apartment as fast as he can. I've called everyone I know and exhausted all my options and there isn't a single person that can watch him. :-\ With the move coming up so soon, I'm freakin out.

Sam and I really can't afford to board apollo, the cheapest place I found is $126 per week. But if we have to do it, were gunna have to find a way (there is no way I am giving apollo up, not after everything we've been through). So my question is this....

I'm really nervous about boarding him, I don't want him to be super stressed and I'm worried how the boarding staff will treat him. Has anyone ever boarded their dog before? Was you dog ok? I'm probably just a big worry wort. Was there anything you did to make your dog more comfortable during his/her boarding? Like bring their crate or a favorite toy or treats or something? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Anyone here ever boarded their dog before?

No one's boarded their dogs before? Come on guys, I'm a nervous wreck and it would really help if you guys could tell me what you think of the two boarders I'm looking out and share any advice, etc. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts

Knowing Apollo's past, and the problems you have had building trust, I would only kennel him as a truly last last resort.
Doesn't anyone in your family know of someone who could let him stay with them for a short amount of time? Even if you offered them some money to do so? Anyone from work, school, church, the neighborhood? Maybe even the landlord would accept some money, for the short term for him to stay with you? You said dogs his size arent allowed so I assume they do allow dogs...maybe with the offer of some money, or a pet deposit, the landlord would be willing? I just would hate to see him go back to a kennel after all the improvements youve had with him. I know you do also, so maybe offer to pay someone to watch him? A place where you and Sam can see him regularly.

·
Registered
142 Posts

I agree, maybe the landlord would accept a "pet deposit"... it would be worth asking at least...

If you have to go with a kennel, I would advise going to visit them if you can and see what kind of "feeling" you get when you're there. I visited many and I just knew when I walked in if I would even consider leaving Daisy there. I finally found an AMAZING kennel, which isn't really a kennel at all, more like an overnight doggy daycare (with no crates/pens) where the dogs go on 10km hikes every day! The owner was truly amazing, we absolutely trusted her and when we picked Daisy up she had lost a few pounds, was better behaved and in great shape!

Anyways, a few things to think of with a kennel: how often are the dogs let out? do you want Apollo to be able to play/socialize with other dogs? some kennels have policies about whether or not they let the dogs play together (a liability thing for them)... are the dogs constantly supervised? what qualifications do the owners have? could you come visit Apollo, take him out etc? what is the condition of the facility? is it kept clean? what is the daily routine?

I actually had one kennel owner say "um, I don't know how often the dogs are let out. It all depends on the day. We don't really have a set daily routine"... right. ::) Cause dogs don't thrive on routine or anything!!!

Hope this helps... good luck!

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

WeHeartLabs said:
Knowing Apollo's past, and the problems you have had building trust, I would only kennel him as a truly last last resort.
Doesn't anyone in your family know of someone who could let him stay with them for a short amount of time? Even if you offered them some money to do so? Anyone from work, school, church, the neighborhood? Maybe even the landlord would accept some money, for the short term for him to stay with you? You said dogs his size arent allowed so I assume they do allow dogs...maybe with the offer of some money, or a pet deposit, the landlord would be willing? I just would hate to see him go back to a kennel after all the improvements youve had with him. I know you do also, so maybe offer to pay someone to watch him? A place where you and Sam can see him regularly.
Susan I'm afriad we ARE at our last resort. You see my mom's already on thin ice with the apartment complex cuz her dog just bit a maintenance worker AND she said she knows I love apollo but she doesn't want a dog with a history of destroying things in her home AND her dog isn't very dog social to begin with. I have called EVERYONE I know (i even swallowed my pride and asked gabbys mom) and I can not find a SOUL to watch him. The answer is always the same "we dont want him in the house, he pees and chews, EVEN if he is in his crate at their place at night and I come get him and take him out during the day, they still don't want him there. We've offered them money, everything, NO ONE will house apollo while we find a place :'( :'(

I called my childhood friend Jon and he said his parents HATE animals and don't want apollo in their house either. I am soooo upset. Sam's aunt and uncle WILL NOT take on anymore animals, they didn't even want the ferrets but they are making an exception cuz we are so desperate. and my dad wont house apollo, he wouldn't even watch the cats. He said the cats could stay as a last resort (but they DO have a place to stay) and this is his exact quote "but they must remain in the basement, never to see the light of day." what is up with all these people hating animals???????

I think if I find a kennel that will let me come visit apollo during the day that would be good. Maybe I could ask to help and volunteer if they let me see apollo during the day. I think it would be less stressful on him. I HATE to kennel him, but honest to god we have NO other options and I do NOT want to rehome apollo when this will only be a temporary situation and we'll be in our new apartment asap.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

LKG said:
If you have to go with a kennel, I would advise going to visit them if you can and see what kind of "feeling" you get when you're there. I visited many and I just knew when I walked in if I would even consider leaving Daisy there. I finally found an AMAZING kennel, which isn't really a kennel at all, more like an overnight doggy daycare (with no crates/pens) where the dogs go on 10km hikes every day! The owner was truly amazing, we absolutely trusted her and when we picked Daisy up she had lost a few pounds, was better behaved and in great shape!

Anyways, a few things to think of with a kennel: how often are the dogs let out? do you want Apollo to be able to play/socialize with other dogs? some kennels have policies about whether or not they let the dogs play together (a liability thing for them)... are the dogs constantly supervised? what qualifications do the owners have? could you come visit Apollo, take him out etc? what is the condition of the facility? is it kept clean? what is the daily
Thanks for these suggestions, these are great. Here is the kennel we are looking at now, gabbys mom reccomended it:

http://www.kennelwood.com/services/pet-resort.html

It says you can even get your dog a roomate, maybe apollo would like a friend? I know he LOVES small dogs.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts

How long are we talking about?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

one week MAYBE two if things don't go as planned with the apartment. But we are planning on only one week

·
Registered
5,788 Posts

what about a homeboarding situation? Or can the trainer you were talking about earlier, take him that week instead?

·
Registered
6,666 Posts

We've kenneled our dogs at three different places. Two of them we only used once because we could tell Sam and Bodie didn't really like the places (one was Bodie's breeder, which was the worst, and the other place was a "pet spa"). The third place is the only place we use now, and Sam and Bodie absolutely love it there. You can really tell when you pick them up what their mental state is. When they stayed at Bodie's breeder, Bodie peed on my foot when he saw me (not a leg hike, but scared submissive peeing) and Sam was totally mentally exhausted. Needless to say, we never went back there. At the current place, they are happy to see us, but just overall happy and relaxed when we get them. They act pretty much like we never left, or that they had a little vacation.

In 2 weeks we'll be dropping them off to spend 20 days there, which is by far the longest time they've ever spent there (we're going to Europe). It is on three acres and they get to run and play A LOT, which is what makes the difference for them. I think bigger dogs like labs really need to get out and play, or it affects their mental health (at least that's how mine are).

The places you linked to look fine to me. I noticed the first place charges $18 plus $2.75 for each 20 minutes of play time. The second place was $18 and said they can play, but it didn't say if there was additional fee for the playing. If you got free playtime at the second place, that would be great. Also would be very good if you could see him. My place charges $20 per dog, no charge for play time. See how big the kennels are.

How long do you think Apollo will have to stay at the kennel? I know it's not ideal, but he'll be ok, especially if he can play.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts

Oh. I think Apollo will be fine at either place. I like the Whitehouse one where the owner lives on the premises. Yes, I board my dogs, even Tatum, although Tatum has J&A to lean on.

You should pick a kennel that lets you spend time there. One week is not forever. God forbid Apollo ever got sick and had to stay at the vet, he'd survive without you there, and I don't see how kenneling him temporarily is much different. Make sure you spend time walking him during the day. See if you can go and feed him supper and breakfast each day, followed by a walk, and he'll figure out pretty quickly what the new routine it. Dog, even traumatized one, are adaptable.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

kaytris said:
what about a homeboarding situation? Or can the trainer you were talking about earlier, take him that week instead?
I don't know. Gabby's mom knows him. I'm gunna have to get his contact info again and see if he could watch him. Thats a good idea, kaytris.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Momma to J and A said:
Oh. I think Apollo will be fine at either place. I like the Whitehouse one where the owner lives on the premises. Yes, I board my dogs, even Tatum, although Tatum has J&A to lean on.

You should pick a kennel that lets you spend time there. One week is not forever. God forbid Apollo ever got sick and had to stay at the vet, he'd survive without you there, and I don't see how kenneling him temporarily is much different. Make sure you spend time walking him during the day. See if you can go and feed him supper and breakfast each day, followed by a walk, and he'll figure out pretty quickly what the new routine it. Dog, even traumatized one, are adaptable.
I like the whitehouse place, but its so far outside of town I couldn't go each day to see him. Kennelwood has rooms, as opposed to cages with doggy cots and tvs (tuned to animal planet, of course) they let your pup have a roomate if needed and I think they can do doggy daycare too for an additional fee. I like them cuz even though they are $27? a day I could be close by and if they'd let me I could come see apollo.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

the biggest thing is I do NOT want a kennel that might remind him of when he was in a shelter, I like kennelwood cuz its rooms don't seem like the cages at a shelter and I think that might keep him calm.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts

I've had to board Brigetta before, and she has some of the same issues as Appollo. They board at her daycare, so I started her off with a day program. You've gotten some good advice. If you have no other option than to board...here's some of the things I did:
- Spoke with the owner about Brigetta's issues, etc
- Brought Brigetta to the place several times before I boarded her. Let her meet the staff, etc. Since it was a daycare also, I put her in for a day after visiting several times. The owner encouraged me to show up unannounced, which I thought was good.
- Since I was afraid that she might get anxious I made sure she didn't have anything she could shred and eat in her kennel with her that might cause an obstruction. I asked them to put her kong in her feeding bowl to help prevent bloat.
- Find out what Appollo's day would be like as far as bathroom breaks, exercise, etc.
- For a little extra I could sign Brigetta up for play time during the day, so she was tired out.
Good luck!

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Well I filled out an online form to see if there are spots open for the week of May9th-16th. The form asked if apollo needed anything special and I said that he is afraid of men and while he's not usually agressive with them I (and he) would feel more comfortable if we could have a female be his primary caretaker. I think if they let me come see him and maybe me feed him his meals or take him for a walk that would be ideal. I am waiting for Kennelwood to contact me about their availabilty.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts

Also, be sure that he's been vaccinated against bordatella if you are going to kennel him. You don't want him getting sick while he's there.

Many places here require that the dogs be vaccinated against it a certain period of time prior to entry of their facility, so I would make sure to ask the place about that.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Yes, thats a good point, Baloo. When apollo goes to the vet on Tuesday for his heartworm meds he will be getting a bordetella shot.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts

I use www.happytailsinc.net. It's a kennel free facility. Gabs loves it.

i've used kennelwood for a night here and there- but i only do it in conjunction with daycare (otherwise they don't really get exercised). Definitely do a room, not a kennel. Be very clear about his needs if you go there. Don't assume they know anything. If you tell them what you want, they are very good about doing it- but sometimes, they're not very bright.

Matt (the behaviorist/trainer) has his office at the kennelwood building. If you're boarding and doing matt at the same time it's going to be pretty steep.

Other places that people I know have used...

I toured this place and liked it:
www.petropolis.com

My vet recommends this place:
http://williamsburgkennels.com/

check into country acres kennls

Oh and an in home boarding place:
http://www.stlouispetsitters.com/home.html

Vets around here may board as well.

As for the bordatella vaccine- it's bunk. They require it, but most people will tell you that they did it, and their dog still got kennel cough. It only protects against one or two strains of kennel cough and there are like 16. Most facilities here require current heartworm, DHLPP, bordatella, and rabies.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts