Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
the USA entry, BMW Oracle.

Oracle is a giant trimaran largely built of carbon fiber with enormous amounts of innovation (including a wing sail). Alinghi is a giant catamaran of roughly the same overall footprint size but far lighter (they're about 90 ft/30 m. long & wide). Oracle's
mast/wingsail is about 230 ft tall.

Larry Ellison, pres. of Oracle software and a billionaire developed this USA trimaran in an attempt to win back the America's Cup from Switzerland and Ernesto Bertarelli, a billionaire owner of a pharmaceutical/biotech company. Previously, Bertarelli's versions of monohull sailboats, various Alinghis, had defeated New Zealand's holder of The Cup which had earlier defeated the USA in the 31st(?) AC.

Oracle cost well over $100m and Alinghi perhaps half that.

The years since the last AC have been filled with multiple court battles over the terms of the race, venue, and which challengers could qualify.

The decision of time and place of the next AC, the 33rd, was only recently decided in court. Valencia, Spain, is the place and now is the time.

I watched the last 30 minutes on a live internet link.

The course (I think) was about 20 miles to windward and then a 20 mile return to leeward.

Winds were about 8 knots/9 mph/13 kph.

Seas about 3-6 ft/1-2 m

Oracle averaged about 26 knots/30 mph/48 kph and finished with a roughly 3,000 meter lead and about 9 minutes ahead of Alinghi.

Alinghi had incurred a Port-Starboard right of way penalty at the start and had to do a 360º turn somewhere during the race or incur a disqualification. She did it just before the finish and that added maybe another couple minutes to the time difference.

The yachts are striking (not sure beautiful is a correct term) -- almost like something from a sci-fi movie -- flying down the course, Alinghi with her windward hull lifted and Oracle with its center hull lifted and with its windward hull/ama 30+ feet/10+ m. above the sea. Both boats looked like they were momentarily about to take off completely and fly away.

This race is sure to be one of the many AC contests that have significantly affected sailboat design over the last 130 or so years. E.g., having sailboats go 3X the speed of the wind is almost mind blowing.

GO ORACLE!!!! Bring the The Auld Mug back!!!!

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I had lunch with Larry Ellison a couple of years ago. He belongs to the same country club as my husband's partner. He is a smug, self-absorbed ****. Two hours of simply being amazed at how he could turn every single topic into a lecture about how successful he is. When we all left, Chris asked me if I thought we needed to bow to him on the way out.

He and Bertarelli are ruining the sport with the lawsuits and have turned it into a best of three between the two of them instead of the week long best of seven regatta it was designed to be. It's too bad; it's a great sport with an amazing history and all they care about is beating the other. No sense of history at all.

I hope they both sink.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
I had lunch with Larry Ellison a couple of years ago. He belongs to the same country club as my husband's partner. He is a smug, self-absorbed ****. Two hours of simply being amazed at how he could turn every single topic into a lecture about how successful he is. When we all left, Chris asked me if I thought we needed to bow to him on the way out.

He and Bertarelli are ruining the sport with the lawsuits and have turned it into a best of three between the two of them instead of the week long best of seven regatta it was designed to be. It's too bad; it's a great sport with an amazing history and all they care about is beating the other. No sense of history at all.

I hope they both sink.
LOL

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I am not impressed and not even watching it this year for one reason. Alinghi isn't even sea worthy. Far to light and not sea worthy. Piece of crap IMO. If I spent $100 million on a 90 foot multi-hull I'd sure as hell want it to be seaworthy in 4-foot waves.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

I hope they both sink.
The history of the America's Cup racing is rife with legal challenges, unfairness'es, rule bending, etc.

Maybe much of it's because these yachts are the mo$t expen$ive $ailboat$ of their era ever produced, so it's only the wealthiest people in the world who can afford such toys -- and people like that aren't typically known for humility.

Sir Thomas Lipton (of Lipton tea) was the challenger from the UK for a number of races and, IIRC, is widely regarded as the nicest, most decent man -- although he was ill-treated by his American defender (Commodore Vanderbilt & others?).

So, AC battles are frequently ego grudge matches, pi$$ing conte$t$ between a couple of extremely wealthy people who don't "cotton" to being denied anything they want.

Yet, somehow out of this,probably in large part because the amount of money they freely spend insures the best in technology, the sport of sailing is very much enriched.

THIS AC race will result in the application through upper echelons of sailing of many new technologies. Among those from past AC races have been wing keels, lighter weight FG and plastic composite hulls, kevlar/carbon fiber/etc reinforcements within mylar/etc. plastic sails. Both boats are using newly developed devices that "see" the wind speeds and directions thousands of feet before they encounter them.

So, I gratefuly tolerate that the contestants both now and in the past have been turds, POS. Beside the point.

The ultimate benefit and that which gratifies me and has me (and many others) drooling are the advances in sailing technology that will ultimately benefit all sailing and racing from such clashes of inflated egos.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
Even though we produce some the bestssailing techology it has become very expensive and a little country like N.Z. found it very hard to keep up financially. From what I understand skippers from Alingi and Oracle are New Zealanders. Both crew on the yacht that took it from U.S.A. I think it is great we can all share the enjoyment of sailing.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Even though we produce some the bestssailing techology it has become very expensive and a little country like N.Z. found it very hard to keep up financially. From what I understand skippers from Alingi and Oracle are New Zealanders. Both crew on the yacht that took it from U.S.A. I think it is great we can all share the enjoyment of sailing.
NZ has more sailors per capita than any other nation in the world.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts

I hope they both sink.
LOL! This is basically every story I have ever heard about Ellison. A friend and her husband went to a wedding where he was also a guest. They were not surprised to find out that he's very short and very homely. And very loud. He was apparently upset when people didn't know who he was.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
NZ has more sailors per capita than any other nation in the world.

I knew you would have some interesting facts. I didn't know this. Most of our sailors come from Auckland where Butterworth and Coutts come from. Think there is probably more boats per head of capita there too.

Wellington and the south island the winds are too unpredictable, so you can't sail as often as you can in Auckland and further North.
Just some mindless information you never know when you will need. lol.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
LOL! This is basically every story I have ever heard about Ellison. A friend and her husband went to a wedding where he was also a guest. They were not surprised to find out that he's very short and very homely. And very loud. He was apparently upset when people didn't know who he was.
That's the best! I love when people think they are more famous than they really are.

That happens to me all the time. I'll be walking out of a trendy little nightspot in Manhattan, fighting off all the young ladies swooning and yellling out, "There's Labs4life!" If someone in the crowd doesn't recognize me I give them the evil eye and refuse to sign their boobs.

Edited to add: I was famous for 15 minutes this morning. 3 labs circled and nudged me until I fed them. It's good to be the king. (or have opposable thumbs and can operate the food container)

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
USA-- BMW ORACLE !! :high5::clap2:

18:43Confirmed then, no protest, so BMW ORACLE Racing win the 33rd America's Cup match for the USA. A fantastic finale to this historic match.

18:37Alinghi cross the finish line 5 minutes and 26 seconds after USA. The Swiss team were 24 seconds behind off the start line, 28 seconds behind at WW 1 mark, 2mins 44 secs behind at the gybe mark, Mark 2.

18:32USA cross the finish line first and should lift the America's Cup subject to any protest. The crew look delighted. It is the first time that a challenger has won a Deed of Gift match. USA win 2-0. Coutts remains unbeaten in the America's Cup match, winning 15 Cup match races on board.

18:13USA making a gybe to lay the finish and are back up to 18-19 knots after encountering a spell of lighter winds.1

8:07A remarkable spectacle as USA stretch towards the finish line of Race 2, towards overall victory. An American team have not won the America's Cup since 1992 when America3 defeated Il Moro 4-1 in San Diego.

18:05Just over 8 miles to go to the finish for USA and what is increasingly looking like a second win for BMW ORACLE Racing.

18:02USA changed their mind at the gybe mark, choosing not to go with the bigger gennaker but to stay conservative, perhaps. USA lead by over 2000 metres.

17:55At Mark 2 the leader's delta is 2 minutes and 44 seconds and so USA have gained 2 minutes and 16 seconds on Alinghi 5 this 13 miles reach.

17:47Alinghi preparing to hoist a gennaker at the gybe mark, USA hits 33 knots.

17:44USA now over 1700 metres ahead of Alinghi 5 down the first reach, and about six minutes to the gybe mark.

17:35So the wing weapon and tri platform does seem to be stronger on this reach, gaining to 1145 metres of lead over Alinghi 5 after about 13 minutes, or half of this first reach.

17:2924 seconds was the delta at the start for USA when they lead Alinghi 5 off the line, and at WW1, the windward mark, the delta was 28 seconds when the BMW ORACLE Racing Team trimaran lead around the top mark. USA now extended to 740 metres after about eight minutes of this first reach. USA hits 30 knots again.

17:27USA has a little more speed, peaking again there at 30 knots in around 8 knots of true wind speed.17:24USA timed, unofficially, at 28 seconds ahead at WW1 and surge immediately close to 30 knots of boat speed as they accelerate. Alinghi give chase.

17:22An extraordinary race, no one expected to be this close as USA approach the windward mark, nearly one hour since the start. USA lead at the mark.........

THANK HEAVENS it's over and out of Bertarelli's hands.

The history of the America's Cup has been marked by many big egos, hidden agendas, courtroom battles, & controveries BUT NEVER EVER SO MUCH.

Bertarelli has held competition for the cup hostage for years. Switzerland, Australia, New Zealand, Italy, (& the USA) have all won the Cup, but NEVER has there been such contention, legal battles, delays in having another race as there has been this time.

Regardless of how egotistical Ellison may be, he's done a great favor to compettitive sailing for all nations both for now and for decades to come by wresting the cup and controlling the conditions for contesting it away from Bertarelli.

VIVA L'AMERICA's CUP !!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts