Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, you all read my tirade about the vet sending off the sample to the path lab late. She actually phoned my husband with the lab results yesterday, but things got a little lost in translation and I had to take Toby in for suture removal today so instead of phoning I waited to go in.

Anyway. we went in this morning. There's good news and bad news, as expected. The diagnosis is fibrosarcoma. So nastier than I'd hoped but not quite as nasty as feared. Slow growing, unlikely to metasticize, small at the time of excision and the margins on all sides looked clean. Vet asked specifically about sample deterioration given the delay and was assured that the preservation was perfect so no damage in that regard. She took the removal down to the muscle layer and the bottom margins were as clean as the lateral margins (where she took 1.5" on each side), so even though this is a tumor type that frequently puts out microscopic tendrils, she thinks we caught it before that happened. It was small.

Change of recurrence is about 25% so we need to keep a close eye on the site.

The incision looks good but she decided to leave in two sutures, so a few more days in a t-shirt and he'll go back Wednesday to have those last stitches removed. The deep tissue has healed well, so little risk of tearing it open, but the surface had gotten a bit scabbed and is slower to heal completely.

Now the thing that is worrying us slightly is that his gallbladder may not be functioning as well as it should be. In his pre-op bloodwork, there were two indicators for bile function that were elevated. Today they were even slightly more elevated (just out of range, but out and trendling slightly higher). Everything else for liver function looks good. So she's putting him on supplements (forget the name, I can't get them till the pet pharmacy opens on Monday) for a month and then a re-check. If the levels aren't back where they should be at that point, we'll probably do an ultrasound. She asked if he's been vomiting bile, and he hasn't. He hasn't been harfing at all lately, or acting at all as if anything is bothering him - appetite is perfect, potty habits are unchanged, energy is good. So I'm really not sure what to think of this latest thing.

It's always something, isn't it! Ideas?

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
No ideas, just prayers and good thoughts for the big guy that he heals quickly and the gallbladder is fine.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
The diagnosis is fibrosarcoma. So nastier than I'd hoped but not quite as nasty as feared. Slow growing, unlikely to metasticize, small at the time of excision and the margins on all sides looked clean. Vet asked specifically about sample deterioration given the delay and was assured that the preservation was perfect so no damage in that regard. She took the removal down to the muscle layer and the bottom margins were as clean as the lateral margins (where she took 1.5" on each side), so even though this is a tumor type that frequently puts out microscopic tendrils, she thinks we caught it before that happened. It was small.

Change of recurrence is about 25% so we need to keep a close eye on the site.

In his pre-op bloodwork, there were two indicators for bile function that were elevated. Today they were even slightly more elevated (just out of range, but out and trendling slightly higher). Everything else for liver function looks good. So she's putting him on supplements (forget the name, I can't get them till the pet pharmacy opens on Monday) for a month and then a re-check. If the levels aren't back where they should be at that point, we'll probably do an ultrasound. She asked if he's been vomiting bile, and he hasn't. He hasn't been harfing at all lately, or acting at all as if anything is bothering him - appetite is perfect, potty habits are unchanged, energy is good. So I'm really not sure what to think of this latest thing.

It's always something, isn't it! Ideas?
Glad the surgery went well and will say a prayer for Toby's complete recovery.

Cappy's cancer is a mast cell tumor and it will be excised tomorrow morning. We're hoping for similar results to Toby's. In June of last year Cappy had an elevated creatinine level (2.1) whereas all other tesst results were mid-point range normals. In November he was X-rayed because of bronchial hacking (my fearing the worst) and it was determined to be a simple bacterial infection that cleared up with antibiotics. They did both blood and urinalysis at that point and whereas all panel components were normal, the creatinine had climbed slightly to 2.2. Last weds when we went in and brought a fresh urine specimen, it came back at 2.5. That indicates a definite potential kidney problem.

I mention this because three other vets who I've spoken with about Cappy's pending surgery and this new "condition" urged me to have the urinalysis down a few more times before undertaking treatment since the results can easily be misread. Best to take a specimen form the first urination in the morning for a more precise and reliable reading. Do them a few days apart. In Cappy's case, we went back to reports of his from 2004 forward and he had always had a slightly elevated creatinine reading, 1.9 to 2.1.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Thanks for the update. I'd been thinking about Toby and the vet thing. I wish it was a better diagnosis but so glad it isn't nastier. Sending good thoughts for a great recovery.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
I am feeling so good reading this report. Everything sounds very positive! I know fibrosarcoma is not ideal, but as I was reading about the clean margins and the excisions and that she had asked the lab about sample integrity, I was just nodding along and feeling very encouraged!

Angus had a malignant mast cell tumor, but just like this, slow-growing and we got great margins (at the expense of a lot of flesh on one side of his rump, but still).

I am really interested in what happens with the gallbladder supplements. Obviously it's not something she thinks is concerning enough to warrant immediate action, so that has to be good. Maybe he's just off-kilter still from the surgery, anesthesia, etc.? I mean, who knows how such an upheaval could affect your body. I hope the supplements work!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts