Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our vet just called... the good news is, his tooth is out. Apparently it was quite a battle to get it out, but it's out. He tolerated the surgery well, and is waking up.

The bad news is, when they flipped him over to clean the other side of his mouth, she found a fracture in the same tooth on the other side. :(

She couldn't extract that one today because he had been under for so long to begin with, so he has to go back in a month to have that one extracted. :(

I just feel sick inside for my baby boy. :( She said that the other fracture likely had been there longer than the one I saw, because it had quite a bit of stain around it, but the fracture is deep and the anterior root of the tooth is already compromised, so leaving it would not be an option.

UGH!!!! :(

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
And they wouldn't remove it while he was already under??? Time schmime...he's already under, the world would end if you were 15 minutes late for the next appt?

Poor Hens! Now he'll need another anasthetic (scares the $hit out of me)...my vet tried that one on me once.

Hope he heals up on one side quick. I'd also find another vet.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
And they wouldn't remove it while he was already under???

Poor Hens! Now he'll need another anasthetic (scared the $hit out of me)...my vet tried that one on me once.
I know, no they couldn't do it today because he had been under for too long as it was already. I trust our vet implicitly, and if she thinks that Henry had been under too long, he had been under too long.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Poor Henery!! Sorry Felicia -- any hint of what may have caused these?
I suspect that it was a marrow bone that fractured the tooth that I found... the boyz have never had these before and got one each for Christmas and I stupidly let them both chew on them around the 28th for about 10-15 minutes.

I have no idea what caused the other one, because the only other bones we have in our house are nylabones.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
That stinks. Well. At least he's halfway done w/the procedures.....

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
OH poor Henery !! It may be bad news, now, but atleast she found it, before it gave other complications Felicia....... I'm happy to hear that he made it through surgery and is waking up good..... I know, it's something you're not looking forward to..... I say just be thankful she found it now

·
Registered
242 Posts
I second the use of Propofol. It certainly makes for an easier recovery for my GSD who normally doesn't react well to anesthetic.

Poor Henry!!:( And, Ollie too! You'll probably have to put away all of the chew toys for a few weeks while Henry's mouth heals.

Regarding chew toys, we only have Kongs, Orbees (ones rated 5 chompers) and rubber Cuz toys here. And, Tasha and Trip get them only under supervision. No hard toys here. I don't even trust Nylabones. Anything which a dog can't destroy is probably capable of damaging teeth. I know it's frustrating when the X-Large Extreme Kong gets decapitated (it's happened here too), but I'd rather replace a toy than damage teeth. Let's face it, it's much cheaper and less harmful to your dog to replace toys on a regular basis than to pay for a dental extraction.

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
Oh no. Poor baby. When Mitzi had hers out last spring, the vet said he worked on it over an hour, and took it out in pieces. He had warned before the extraction that that tooth is difficult to extract. Her face was swollen after the extraction for some time, and it was a while before she chewed on that side. I always wondered if I had taken her to a vet dentist, would it have been easier on her.
Sending Henery our love and get well wishes.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.