Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We must have a nest of yellow jackets in the back yard. At least that is what I think it is. Teddy seems to be okay, no reaction but a couple of red lumps that seem to itch him. The dogs wanted to go out again, so we went out to the back yard again.
THE SAME THING HAPPENED AGAIN! Only this time the victim was Tucker, my daughter's cavalier. The **** thing got on his ear and wouldn't let go. Tucker was yelping and flipping around and rolling. I saw it on his ear for a brief moment, but before I could grab Tucker and get it off, he was running as hard as he could. Yelping the whole time. I finally got a hold of Tucker and managed to flip the wasp off. Now he is crying every time I touch his ear.
Sigh, another one to watch for a reaction.

I guess I will not be letting the dogs out again until I can get an exterminator here to find the nest and take care of it.They seem to come from the same area of the yard, so my guess is a nest.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Yikes, that is not good, had a bumble bee nest in our yard a couple years ago, sat on the deck and watched where they were going in and out of the hole. I waited till dark and poured a whole bottle of rubbing alcohol in the hole, put and put a bucket over it. Rita gave hell when she got home because of my allergy to stings.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Oh man, those things are nasty!

A couple of years ago we had a nest in the ground here and Buddy got stung. I found the nest and sprayed it with wasp killer. Last year, both boys got a sting on their muzzles, but I didn't see any critters. Buddy is still afraid to walk on the ground in that area when it's hot, and he will stand there and stare at the ground like he is listening to something. I wonder if we have another nest out there.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
That is scary. If you think Tucker needs a benedryl, I've found that small dogs metabolize it a bit faster than the labs. I can give Emily 2 (she is 17 lbs) and it barely fazes her, while it knocks Teddy out a bit more (he's around 80-85 lbs).

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well using MSUlady's calculation I decided I could give Tucker at least 1/2 of a child's benedryl. So far both boys are okay, I guess at this point we are out of the woods.
I'm afraid to let them go out again, though. So it is on leash in the front for now. What a pain! But not as much of a pain as having to run to the ER vet. I just hope I can get an exterminator out here quickly come Monday.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts