Just Labradors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Napoleon is 20 months old ,my husband passed away 5 months ago and I admit I havent been working much with Napoleon. I do his walks ect but training wise just havent had it in me to continue,but have to get a hold of things with him.My biggest problem is when ppl visit he is up on them in the chair or on the couch I say NO DOWN he wont move they have to push him down or myself pull him off. I really need help in how to stop this or is it too late at his age,pleaase help me with this.

·
Registered
187 Posts
No it's definitely not too late. You and he should get into a training class right away. I think that would really help both of you.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
There are a number of ways you could approach this. From what you describe he is being a normal, friendly and exuberant young dog. Shouting "DOWN!" at him will most likely fall on deaf ears especially as he probably knows "down" (lie down) as a completely separate command. Also, "NO!" becomes meaningless when used too often. Try a new command like "OFF!" and make sure you are authoritative with your voice when you give the correction.

Next time you have guests put a collar and leash on Napoleon and allow him to drag the leash. When he goes to jump on the visitors and/or the couch, give him a gentle pop on the collar to redirect his attention and a sharp "OFF!". Do this as many times as needed, rewarding calm behavior with praise and maybe some extra special treats.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Trickster's advice is good BUT I also heartily endorse the suggestion of stlabs

Trainers and training classes differ from A-Z in quality. Visit some, evaluate the trainers, and pick the one that seems the best. It'll do both of you a world of good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts