Just Labradors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I just entered Amber in a 2 day obedience show on May 16-17. One day of a 4 day show (doing agility the other 3) on May 24th. And a 2 day show on June 6-7. So 5 trys to get two legs. I figured that Amber did so well at the show last weekend I should try and finish her.
Of course this only gives me 2 weeks to fix her crooked fronts. I just need to teach her to look up at me as she comes in to sit front. Maybe I should build a pvc "box" to teach her what to do and use the old droped hotdogs from mouth trick to get her to look up. and a clicker to mark the correct position.
She does pretty well for a dog that I never really formerly trained for Open. All I did was train her in field work and then transfered it over. The only thing I really had to train was the broad jump, and I cheated at that by using a dumbell and running it as a bush drill..lol.
Me and Amber both love Open, its alot of fun.

Kelly

·
Registered
65 Posts
I here you about the fronts...always working on those with my Sandy boy. He needs a box also because he is never too sure where his rear is and comes in crooked...also he is aware of 'my' space and doesn't always come in as close as I'd like. So looks like I'll be spitting food at him also. I use the boards from my broadjump as guides when his box isn't around.

Anyhow, hope all goes well at the show and look forward to hearing how you did. I am entered in 5 shows in June to hopefully finish up his CDX title...we need two more legs. :)

Happy training!!! Good Luck!!

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Good luck!

What we did for fronts was teach them to target to one of those claw hair clips, and then clipped it on the front of our shirt, works like a charm. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts