Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So the division I work in is in the middle of a complete reorganization. My boss's position is being eliminated, and everyone (hundreds of people) is being put into different groups, units, etc. It's all very confusing. At first I was really worried that my position would be eliminated, but then the president and executive vice president sent out a message saying not to worry, this would be great for everyone, no one's job was in danger, blah blah blah. Smiley faces, unicorns, etc.

Well.

Today they hosted a huge meeting with the president so that people could ask direct questions about budget cuts and be reassured. It was a very hostile meeting. The president was getting increasingly flustered as difficult questions were coming at him. At one point, someone asked, "Give us an example of reductions in executive compensation." He said, "Well, we've already eliminated one high-level position" [my boss].

And then paused. Silence. He flapped his arms a bit, unsure of what to say next. And then blurted out:

"And who knows WHAT'S going to happen to the people who work under him???"

Then he made this face ---> :eek: and quickly changed the topic.

Color me NOT REASSURED.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Oh crap! Prayers and good thoughts for you and all the others who worked for your boss, that you all keep your jobs.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Color me, agreeing with you.

Sending good thoughts though.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Gee - not very good at thinking on his feet huh?

I'm sorry that must have been pretty uncomfortable. I hope you hold onto your position there or they find you another.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
Next thing this guy will be scratching his head wondering why those underneath him are having motivational, morality & productivity issues. What an idiot! :mad:

Good luck in keeping your job Nathan.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
That certainly does not instill a sense of confidence. I have a feeling that that is a common occurrence in many boardrooms these days. I suspect that there are a lot of folks in upper management that just don't know what to say. I wish you best of luck!

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, guys. He really is not a smooth operator--sort of has this John McCain thing going on where he can be great one minute, and then get really angry and blow his top and say something crazy.

Meanwhile I'm constantly fielding questions where I have to cheerfully tell people that of course we're honoring all contractual obligations. But I don't really know if that's true. Ugh.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Well those are 30 seconds I bet he wishes he had back!

Uncertainty causes so much anxiety, as I've discovered! I've heard that statistics show employees would rather KNOW bad news then have uncertainty, and I can vouch for that.

I hope things work out for the very best for you Nathan, and that whatever happens you will find yourself exactly where you want to be!

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Oh wow, definitely an unsettling moment!!! :eek:

My fingers are crossed that the axe does not fall in your direction.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Wishing you a smoother, surer flight-path professionally.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts