Just Labradors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Need help with my lab who is scared of the rain. My dog is alwayz pacing back & forth and is really scared of the rainy days. He is also breathing with his mouth open like he just finished running. We try to help with find a safe place. We have giving him clamming pills, but those dont work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Every time a storms he starts walking around the house. He wont stay with the other two dogs that stay in the kitchen. I have try to put him in a kennel,he can get out of it, so I have to wrap a rope around it.
He is 2years old my brother had him as a puppy. He as been with me for about a month now, and is house train ( almost ). He has been an outside dog.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
First and foremost, do not comfort him, or that lets him know he is right to be anxious. Act normal, speak in normal tones, play with him, give him treats, make it a fun time. There are ways to desensitize a dog to storms, but you need that information from someone who is more familiar with it than I am.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
We tried the CD with thunderstorms on it. Played it barely audible at first and then gradually increased it and during the time we didn't coddle her. She eventually got over it for the most part. She still wants to get anxious but after a few minutes she calms down and acts as though nothing is wrong. So I'd have to say the CD thing worked or at least helped with it.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
eyana -- is it the rain or thunder as in thunderstorms?

Labs (or dogs) being uncomfortable with the noise of thunderstorms is common -- my Bess would get so distressed with loud, nearby thunder that we gave her 5 mg Valium when we had really intense ones.

My Puff doesn't like thunder, either, but her reactions aren't as severe. If I'm on the bed typing on my laptop with Puff (as usual) dozing right beside me (as I am right now), Puff will wake up, jump down and remove herself to the downstairs bathroom which doubles as a storm shelter with reinforced concrete wall, ceiling, floor. She waits it out there.

If it's rain without the thunder, I suggest you get a consultation with an expert.

As some have suggested, there are some recordings of thunder which can be used to desensitize your Lab.

I suggest you contact Dr. Patricia McConnell's website -- she has many books and pamphlets on various issues, one of which gives you the protocol for desensitizing a dog away from fear of something like thunder.

Caution: to be effective, this type of protocol must be followed exactly: no shortcuts, abbreviations, vacations, etc., in the execution of it. Dr. McC. or her staff can also recommend a qualified expert in your area.

I'll ETA her website ---> http://www.dogsbestfriendtraining.com/index.php (Click on books, publications)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
He has been an outside dog.
Well that explains it. Poor baby was stuck outside to endure rain and storms. :( I'm glad you have him now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts