Just Labradors banner
61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
I can't remember if you posted Edwards pedigree - he look SO MUCH like Baxter in his pictures. Do you mind repeating what his pedigree is? I'm curious to see if they have an "relatives".
Here you go.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
He is so handsome and sure has grown.

Ernies great great grandparents are Graemoor amd Marshland Blitz and his Great Grandfather Greamoor Tim too. Fascinating.

I too would leave off neuter as long as possible due to bone growth. Ernie was neutered at 12 weeks. Eeek. He has H.D. and joint issues. Kassa passed with bone cancer of the jaw and she was spayed at 7 months. Not saying early neuter is to blame, but for me if there is even a possibilty neuter/spay could cause problems then I would rather be cautious.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
He is so handsome and sure has grown.

Ernies great great grandparents are Graemoor amd Marshland Blitz and his Great Grandfather Greamoor Tim too. Fascinating.

I too would leave off neuter as long as possible due to bone growth. Ernie was neutered at 12 weeks. Eeek. He has H.D. and joint issues. Kassa passed with bone cancer of the jaw and she was spayed at 7 months. Not saying early neuter is to blame, but for me if there is even a possibilty neuter/spay could cause problems then I would rather be cautious.
Thank you for the advice and fascinating lineage history.
Kassa was a beautiful..... You also have a beautiful garden.... :)

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
My Helo shares a lot of your Edward's sires bloodlines, and the dams too - interestingly enough, his brother had one undescended testes. I wonder if there is a genetic link going on here?

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
Thank you for the advice and fascinating lineage history.
Kassa was a beautiful..... You also have a beautiful garden.... :)
Oh I wish that was my garden. You would all see pics daily. lol. That is the tulip festival in Sept/Oct at the botanical gardens. Only place Kass need to have a lead on our walks so would give me the" what is wrong with you..why is my lead on...they are just flowers" look

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am trying to find the right way to word it so it doesn't sound confrontational - any ideas?
My lab is 13 mos. & we got him when he was 9 mos. old & nothing was said about him being crypt.

Thanks, Linda

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I am trying to find the right way to word it so it doesn't sound confrontational - any ideas?
My lab is 13 mos. & we got him when he was 9 mos. old & nothing was said about him being crypt.

Thanks, Linda
So what doesn't sound confrontational? You are not the original poster, you dug out a 3-month-old post and are rather cryptic in your question.

What exactly are you asking? If you should confront the breeder?

·
Registered
3 Posts
@ amazongold ~ my apologies, I am new to this. My black lab is 13 mos. old & we got him from the breeder when he was 9 mos.
She never said anything about the undescended test. She knew I was planning to have him neutered. All my previously labs were already neutered when I got them. The waiting until they are over a year old was new to me.

So, yes I was going to ask her to cover the extra $120 neuter fee & wanted to find a nice way to word it.

Thank you very much. I didn't mean to "dig out a 3 mo. old post" & you are correct I am not the original poster.
Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers - just looking for some advice :becky:

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
@ amazongold ~ my apologies, I am new to this. My black lab is 13 mos. old & we got him from the breeder when he was 9 mos.
She never said anything about the undescended test. She knew I was planning to have him neutered. All my previously labs were already neutered when I got them. The waiting until they are over a year old was new to me.

So, yes I was going to ask her to cover the extra $120 neuter fee & wanted to find a nice way to word it.

Thank you very much. I didn't mean to "dig out a 3 mo. old post" & you are correct I am not the original poster.
Yes - the breeder should have known and told you that you were buying a dog with a medical issue and you would be within your rights to ask for them to help with the additional expense (IMO).

·
Registered
333 Posts
My one dog Chrome had the same issue, but only one testes had descended and we got him at 5months. When he was neutered at a year old it had descended and wasn't an issue.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts

Okay, now I understand a little better!

I don't think breeders ever cover neutering expenses; they'd go broke in a hurry if they did. She should have told you about the undescended testicle when you got the pup, though; that was the professional thing to do. Have you already had him neutered and it cost extra because of this? Or are you planning to have it done?

If the $120 was over and above the normal fee because the vet had to find the undescended testicle and it was a more extensive surgery, then yes, I would tell the breeder that you were not aware it was going to cost more and feel you should have been told about it up front. Then I would ask what her policy is in such cases and if she would cover the extra cost.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you all! No, Curly has not been neutered yet - I am planning to do it in July (14 mos.) or Aug. (15 mos.)

@ amazongold ~ yes, I was just going to ask for the amount above the normal fee is all & you worded it nicely!
Thanks again :D

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
LOL at the Vet vs MD video... my best friend is a Vet and I actually consult him a lot for my own issues... LOL

I totally understand how you feel. I went through the same with Homer. I got him as a show potential, paid full price, and then he developed ED and has a heart murmur... His parents and most of his lineage have all cleareances and he comes from CH lines, yet I had to deal with his health issues and paid a lot of $$$ for his elbow surgery, and now on maintenance meds he needs throughout the rest of his life.

Look at it this way: For you its only a simple surgery and you have a happy dog the rest of his life. I ended up with a dog that has to live with a crippling desease. But even with that I would never change him... whatever he lacks in the health department he compensates in the personality and love department.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
OK.... Here we go.
Edward had his surgery... went well. However one of his testes was deep in the pelvis requiring three abdominal incisions. He is 5 days out and doing well.....except he has been having urinary accidents in the house which he has not done previously... I guess he is still swollen and having some control issues which most likely will resolve with time.

The cost: not that big of an issue.
Neuter: $94
Cryptorchid surgery: an additional $131

I have asked the breeder to help out with the $131. Not because of how much it cost but out of principle (since she probably was aware of the cryptorchism when she sold him to me).

This is what I sent her:

I hope you and your dogs are well. Edward has been well and is now very well integrated into our extended family.
Edward just had his surgery....went well however one of his testes was deep in the pelvis. He required three incisions. The Surgery was performed by: Dr. Barton at the Commonwealth Vet clinic in Waynesboro,VA.
The neuter surgery cost about $94
The additional cryptorchid surgery added $131

We previously talked about you possibly helping out on this ($131) since cryptorchism is typically diagnosed before 8wks of life and we as the buyers were not aware of this when we bought him.

Thank you...
Dr.B

I will let you guys know what happens.
P.S.- By the way I do appreciate and have appreciated all criticism and comments from you guys.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
That is astonishingly cheap compared to what my dog's neuter cost. Glad he is doing OK. Had you had the conversation about sharing cost with the breeder prior? If so, that message seems straightforward to me.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I'm torn on this subject, and though it's not happened to me as a breeder, it has happened to a couple friends.

There are certain things as breeders that are out of our control, meaning if Edward's parents were never known to produce the issue, how would we know? At 8 wks, a lot can still happen. I always breath a sigh of relief when my vet confirms all the boy's parts are there because it's not always super obvious to me.

However, I guess that's why I pay a vet to do well checks on all my pups. I want it ON RECORD that everything was fine when the pup left here. If a boy had undescended testicles at that time, I'd address it up front and if they did not descend by neuter time, I would offer to pay a reasonable fee (and I think yours was very reasonable-- some vets are outrageous). It's either that or discount the pup right off the bat but then they may drop 2 days later too.

As for all the other possible health issues that can come along, so many are truly out of our control. We can only do the best we can do. At what point do we start discounting and where do we stop? When we are broke? This isn't a profitable venture for most of us. Now that said, I'm also not charging $2000 for my pups... but that was your choice to pay that extra $$$ vs buying a cheap airplane ticket and flying a couple states over where the average price would have likely been less than half that for a similar pedigree.

And yes, I do believe genetics are involved as is injury or trauma. My vet also produced it twice w/ the same stud who was only used a few times. She neutered him when she saw a 2nd pup affected.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Thank you for your comment.
I agree... nothing in life is guaranteed including our health.
My issue is more on disclosure than anything else.

By the way the 1st vet I went to quoted me ~ $700 plus extras.... :-(

61 - 80 of 84 Posts