Just Labradors banner
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
As fr as the other comment on "Things I would ask that vet if you didn't already"... I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not.
In any event....Thank you.

And just for you:
Dr. C.F.B. MD, F.A.C.O.G., F.A.C.S. (the double Dr., MD was a special pun for you)
Fellow of the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
Fellow of the American College of Surgeons
Diplomat of the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology
I'm just dizzy from all those titles ;)

Not being sarcastic, quite serious actually. Where I used to work we had a reputation for being the "expensive" clinic. BUT we did full pre-op bloodwork, BP, pulse ox, fluids intraop, used Isoflurane and gave pre-op sedation and sent pain meds home and an e-collar and a recheck appointment all included in the cost for ALL patients who wanted surgery with us. It was a standard of care issue. Other clinics "charged less" but then asked the owner if they wanted to "upgrade" to include any of those other options - and then charged more than we did anyway!

I'm sure if you asked if you could watch many vets would say yes, heck some might even let you assist (although many private practice vets do surgery without any assistants at all - so I'm not sure how much you would do other than cut suture if they don't use Olson-Hegars :) ).

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I'm just dizzy from all those titles ;)

Not being sarcastic, quite serious actually. Where I used to work we had a reputation for being the "expensive" clinic. BUT we did full pre-op bloodwork, BP, pulse ox, fluids intraop, used Isoflurane and gave pre-op sedation and sent pain meds home and an e-collar and a recheck appointment all included in the cost for ALL patients who wanted surgery with us. It was a standard of care issue. Other clinics "charged less" but then asked the owner if they wanted to "upgrade" to include any of those other options - and then charged more than we did anyway!

I'm sure if you asked if you could watch many vets would say yes, heck some might even let you assist (although many private practice vets do surgery without any assistants at all - so I'm not sure how much you would do other than cut suture if they don't use Olson-Hegars :) ).
Thank you.... I will look into all associated charges.
I would hope that the procedure comes as a package...but we will see.
I would love to be able to see or assist...but with my luck I will be working or on call.....:-(

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Why are you getting him vaccinated for kennel cough? Unless you are boarding him and they require it - that is an unnecessary vaccine IMO. There are so many strains of kennel cough out there that vaccinating for it is not particularly effective.

You might want to research that before doing it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Why are you getting him vaccinated for kennel cough? Unless you are boarding him and they require it - that is an unnecessary vaccine IMO. There are so many strains of kennel cough out there that vaccinating for it is not particularly effective.

To be honest, I'm not sure why.
They told me it was required.....maybe due to liability issues...?
I will ask. However, he will not have the surgery until 6-10 months old.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
To be honest, I'm not sure why.
They told me it was required.....maybe due to liability issues...?
I will ask. However, he will not have the surgery until 6-10 months old.
I'd sign a waiver for that before I'd administer an unnecessary vax.

On the age for neuter. You of course have a medical background and can research this yourself - but - consider that hormones play a role in the correct development of your dog. When you neuter early (before physical maturity) growth plates close more slowly and dogs wind up leggier. There is potential for an increase in risk for orthopedic issues.

By waiting until maturity (18 months) you have to be a responsible, vigilant owner to prevent him breeding - but there is very little other associated risk. The risk of testicular cancer is quite tiny in young dogs (and not significant in old dogs either).

Your vet will tell you 6 months because from a "big picture" point of view - if everyone desexed their dogs before maturity there would be zero unwanted litters of puppies. It's not what is really the best thing for the dog, however - IMO.

I waited to neuter Blaise until he was 20 months old and I am very glad I did.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts

I wouldn't get mine vaccinated for kennel cough, because I don't think it helps all that much - I do board my dogs a few times a year, and one of mine got kennel cough when I was still vaccinating them. Then I stopped for a few years, but now my training club requires it or you can't train there, and I really have NO Where Else to train. So I let them get vaccinated, but otherwise I wouldn't

·
Registered
98 Posts
but now my training club requires it or you can't train there, and I really have NO Where Else to train. So I let them get vaccinated, but otherwise I wouldn't
Same here. When I started taking mine to puppy socialization and obedience training, they both required it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
On the age for neuter. You of course have a medical background and can research this yourself - but - consider that hormones play a role in the correct development of your dog. When you neuter early (before physical maturity) growth plates close more slowly and dogs wind up leggier. There is potential for an increase in risk for orthopedic issues.

By waiting until maturity (18 months) you have to be a responsible, vigilant owner to prevent him breeding - but there is very little other associated risk. The risk of testicular cancer is quite tiny in young dogs (and not significant in old dogs either).

Your vet will tell you 6 months because from a "big picture" point of view - if everyone desexed their dogs before maturity there would be zero unwanted litters of puppies. It's not what is really the best thing for the dog, however - IMO.
That brings up the next question...

When is the optimal time to neuter him in order to optimize the classic male prominent features...?
My guess......1yo..?

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
That brings up the next question...

When is the optimal time to neuter him in order to optimize the classic male prominent features...?
My guess......1yo..?

Minimally 1 year - older than that (between 18 months and 2 years) is better.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
yep, optimial is AFTER they have completed growing (18-24 months depending on the lines)

Did the breeder give you a recommendation on this? (not that you have to listen to them but generally reputable breeders will recommend something)

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I just clicked on the link....
OMG..... This is good....really good..... I could not stop laughing. Thank you!!!
So glad you both enjoyed it! :laugh: One of my favorite pup owners/SERIOUS competition homes is a MD/surgeon /dog trainer *extraordinaire*... we've had some laughs over the time. I was very relieved as if anyone were to have post op complications (spay) it was he and his wife (also an MD/surgeon). Their girl started to bleed out on their kitchen floor due to something not being tied off properly during surgery. Holy Cow... it was not a good scene. :eek: Today she's 4 yo, 1 pass shy of a MH title (to be finished this season, all owner trained/handled even), tracking titled, and on her way to CDX (open obed) and agility titles. :)

Dr B, your boy is a doll--- nuts down or not!!!! :D Enjoy him but do be sure to share the info w/ the breeder. We don't always like to HEAR the negatives, but we need to KNOW them.

Anyhow, I have a 3 mo old girl here who just makes me smile too (yea yea, like all of mine haven't!). I would urge you to wait til growth plate closure at the earliest for various reasons but here are the links I provide my pup owners to help guide them w/ their decision:
Canine Sports Productions: Early Spay-Neuter Considerations for the Canine Athlete
http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/longtermhealtheffectsofspayneuterindogs.pdf

My vet supports me w/ delaying neuter as long as she knows they are responsible homes. Early neuter is generally done because not all can be trusted. So sad.

Best of luck! Anne

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Anne,
Thank you for the video and for your advice.
Looks like I am going to wait 12-18 months.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Just a couple more pics ot this little ham... :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
More photos....of Edward... :))

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
My gordy had a hiding testicle that dropped right before our scheduled neuter...I think he was 8 months because we were told to wait and see if it would drop.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Emmett and Edward (anyone see something with this:smile:) are the same age and Emmett's have not dropped yet either, We have talked with the vet (but not the breeder yet) with each visit for his puppy shots and it was "well I think their both there" for awhile. Now we are pretty certain both are there and one is close to dropping and the second is "right there"... It's Emmett's nuts watch 2011 at our house (it's so crazy to me).
At first I thought since they weren't there, they wouldn't be but then my vet said they could still drop. So that was encouraging to me.

This thread has been very informative, I was always under the impression that you "fix" a dog at 6 months. I never gave it much thought but all I've read makes so much sense to me now... Reckless was fixed at 6 months on the nose because he was marking in the house and I didn't know any better then, but I really think I did so many things "wrong" with him I should be happy that he turned out ok.

I'm holding out hope for Edward and Emmett =)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Thank you for the link....very informative.
I appreciate all the help and info you experts provide... :)

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I can't remember if you posted Edwards pedigree - he look SO MUCH like Baxter in his pictures. Do you mind repeating what his pedigree is? I'm curious to see if they have an "relatives".

41 - 60 of 84 Posts