Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine asked if it was safe to feed uncooked eggs to her goldens. Seems to me that many raw feeders do, but I also read some time ago that the whites can tie up some nutrients or throw the balance off (this was in relation to breeding, but now I can't remember the details). These are fresh eggs, btw-- she rescued some chickens and is now buried in eggs, lol. Anne

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I feed raw eggs probably once a week or so, include quail eggs when i can find 'em. ;) I think the thing with the whites is one of those things where you'd have to feed a ridiculous amount to have that effect (sort of like the "danger" of apple seeds). ;)

And it's important to feed the shell as well (or supplement accordingly, I suppose). Lots of phosphorus in the egg + calcium in the shell makes for a pretty much perfect balance.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
They bind with zinc I believe. I don't know how much or to what extent, but I only feed eggs once in awhile myself.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Mine each get a raw egg every week or so. When I make eggs for us I cook them an egg, too. Now that I have a source for "home-grown" eggs I will feed the shells, too, but I won't with what I buy at a grocery store.

·
Registered
40 Posts
my two love raw eggs and get them once a week with the shells, gets a bit messy at times so generally give them in the yard!

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I have never heard of giving the dog the shell as well...do you just plop a whole egg in their bowl, or do you break it and mix it together?

I have never given Tucker a raw egg..only hard boiled which I nicely peeled for him.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I give whole but when i first started to give them I would tap it on top with a spoon to crack it abit so easier to get to, but they soon realise what to do!

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
This thread coming back just reminded me I haven't fed eggs in forever, lol! :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
giving half a boiled egg a day would in my opinion be fine, you might find they are abit windy from iy though!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Somewhere I read that shell are good but only those that are farm fresh. Egg shells that are from the commercial producers that we buy in the grocery store are treated with something to help preserve freshness and in order to feed these shells you had to back(bake) them or something like that before feeding them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i give my pup an egg a week havent done the shell but a few times and it helped with his coat quite a bit my buddies lab is all dull looking compared to rugers

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I heard the raw egg messed with biotin, but mine only get them like once a week. They haven't liked the shells much, but we get farm eggs now, so I should try shells again with them.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Egg white contains Avidin which will bind with biotin and prevent the body utilizing biotin.

http://www.fitnessspotlight.com/2009/07/06/truth-isfree-range-eggs-healthier-store-bought-eggs/

"Avidin
Raw egg whites contain an enzyme called avidin that acts as an anti-nutrient to bind biotin in the yolk. Also known as vitamin B7, biotin is instrumental in cell growth and the metabolism of fatty acids and amino acids, as well as blood sugar maintenance. Just like with most vitamins, it’s a bad idea to reduce their availability to the body."

giving a raw egg once a week will not cause this deficiency. Just don't over do it.

As a body builder in the past that ate a lot of egg whites I also learned that you need the yolk and the white to benefit from the protein in the egg. Therefore best to include just a small part of the yolk with the white or the body will not absorb the protein

I have also read that eggs are one of the best sources of protein.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
As long as you feed the whole egg, you are fine to feed several eggs per week. The yolk is very heavily concentrated with biotin. One more example of why not to mess with nature, she will provide just fine :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts