Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's when we watch for the wall cloud (tornado activity).
Right now it's just heavy thunder-bumpers and some rain (good sign).
Oklahoma City area gets the worst... right now we're just under "severe thunderstorm" warning.

The dogs hate it. The drop in barometric pressure disturbs their ears. :(

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Linda - it really does turn an odd and eerie shade of green. Subtle... like a watercolor wash. Probably the cloud cover and the newly leafed out trees and plants reflecting off of it, but whatever it is, we always kind of get the creeps.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
It does that here, too. I was looking it up when you mentioned it because we always talk about that when it happens and no one ever knows why, but it does seem like if it's green or yellow there's almost always either hail or tornadoes.

Stay safe (and stop posting online and go get in the hall - or wherever your safe place is). Are there any warnings in your area? Nevermind, you can answer that when it's safe.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Nance, I googled "tornado green sky" and saw what you're talking about. Wow.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
I've had nowhere near my share of tornados like you have Nance, but I've seen that green sky you speak of. Also, the air takes on a funny smell as well, and it's super eerie how much silence there is. The year the big tornadoes touched down in Grand Valley, we watched that green sky and were scared to death from it. It's really something crazy.

Stay safe you guys. I hope the worst of it passes by you.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
I just logged on to say..... It's gunna be a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnng night. :-\

I saw your thread and thought.... this is the appropriate thread to write this in.

I know that green you are talking about. My stomach always turns when I see that color. It's skeery.

What I really hate is losing power. Then you don't know anything. I need to hook up my weather radio again.

I swear.... every time this time of year hits.... I wish wish wish we had a tornado shelter or a basement or something.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Stay safe you guys! I'll be thinking of you!!

I could never live in a storm-area, I'd be constantly terrified!

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I'm hoping those storms don't get too bad by you
keep a radio close by Nance

shanna - I never understood that
in an area where you really need basements
most residents are not built with one :/

that was one of my requirements when I moved down south
is to have a basement

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Got caught outside on my way home from school in 3rd grade in Abilene TX. Crawled in a culvert. Once was plenty....I have lived through hurricanes, blizzards and all other weather conditions but it is tornado's I hate the most...so unpredictable. Stay safe.

G

·
Just checking on you guys in Texas and OK - you make it through the night safely? The storm that hit here in KC last night came up from your area if I'm not mistaken. It wasn't fun here but no spinning stuff.

Hope you all are ok - check in when you can. I know that green sky and eerie silence is SCARY.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Nance - Hope you're buttoned up safely in the Wooserie and that all is well. Goes for everybody else, too. Um, not that they're ALL in the Wooserie but that.... Why do I sound like Green Acres' Hank Kimball all of a sudden?

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
I am petrified of tornadoes. I could never live in tornado alley. We get a tornado warning and I am hiding in the basement with the dog.

G

·
You sound like me. I had to go outside last night and drive home in the thunderstorm. The cloud to ground strikes were so frequent I almost didn't need headlights and I was about to scream the whole time. The storm blew up so fast I didn't see it coming or I'd have left earlier...and when tornadoes are out, forget it. You can't blast me out of the basement. I set up a camp in there so it is ready to go and I can just run down there with the dog.

Stay safe everyone. Today looks like it's going to be bumpy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts