Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scout now has very bad diarrhea with blood in his stool. I don't know if it could be from the antibiotic, but he has to go potty so many times a day. The good news is that he is going to the door and letting out a bark to let me know he needs to go outside. I'm so pleased with this progress. I know he now knows that he needs to go outside to go potty. I've still got some work to do, but I know I will get there.

Unfortunately I can't drive right now. I failed the stupid driving test and I have no way to get Scout to vet except to ride my bike. I've got a big bad that fits over my bike rack on the back that he fits into. It has a cinch string so I know I can keep him in the bag without him jumping out. I tested it. I'll take a picture of him in the bag on the bike rack when we leave for his appointment in an hour. Gosh kennel cough and bad diarrhea in 4 days. Poor Scout.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Debbie, where are you at? I'm off today and if you're anywhere nearby I'd be willing to come and give you a lift. Blood in his stool can't be good...

Kevin

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
OMG that doesn't sound safe!!!

The vet should be able to tell you over the phone if the diarrhea is from antibiotics. Or at least bring them a sample to test, and leave him at home.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kevin, that is so thoughtful and kind of you, I'm really taken aback by your generous offer. I'm in Irvine and have a 10:00 vet appointment only a mile from my house. Don't worry though I'm sure I will be safe it is not far to go. Scout's head will be the only thing out of the bag on the bike. The bag is meant to fit large grocery store bags. Thank you so much again. By the way where do you live.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Blood in the stool. Find a way to get him to the vet. Relative, friend, neighbor, someone!

Could just be worms that are easy to correct, could be serious, but blood in the stool isn't good.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Don't worry though I'm sure I will be safe it is not far to go. Scout's head will be the only thing out of the bag on the bike.
Can you put a helmet on him? :(

BE SAFE!!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Amy, I called the vet and asked if it would be ok to just bring the vet a stool sample and they said I had to bring the dog in. Thanks for the suggestion, it was a good try, but no go.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Kevin, that is so thoughtful and kind of you, I'm really taken aback by your generous offer. I'm in Irvine and have a 10:00 vet appointment only a mile from my house. Don't worry though I'm sure I will be safe it is not far to go. Scout's head will be the only thing out of the bag on the bike. The bag is meant to fit large grocery store bags. Thank you so much again. By the way where do you live.
Bummer, I live in Florida, about halfway between Orlando and Tampa. I don't think I could get there in time... ;)

Kevin

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
No taxis in Irvine, huh?

Blood in the stool (small amount) is not uncommon with an unhappy gut and it could certainly be from antibiotics or from a bug. He should be seen. Poor guy - an awful lot of sick in his short life so far !

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I got a ride to the vet so I'm happy about that. I have an appt in 15 minutes and provide update later. I feel so sorry for my little guy.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
How is the little guy doing this morning? I was so glad to see that you got a ride to the vet. I had scary mental pictures of you on the bicycle with him. LA can have a lot of crazy drivers who don't pay close attention to bike riders or pedestrians sometimes. Hope the vet was able to tell what might be up and give him something to slow down the "squirts". Update soon please!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Update please? I hope the little guy is doing better today. :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thanks guys for asking about Scout, sorry I didn't give you an update. I was just being conscientious because I worry I send out too many posts.

Well the news was pretty good. Scout no longer had blood in his stool and he has no fever or parasite. He just has an upset stomach and but he still has watery stools. His cough is worse and I finally gave him the cough suppressant. So anyway at least I know Scout is not going to die. I know, I'm such a drama queen about my puppy.

The good news is that through all this and the multiple times he has to go outside to poop and pee he has not had one accident over the last two days. I'm saying Yahoo!!! :D He goes to the front door and jumps on it when he wants to go out and go potty so at least he knows how to get my attention and holds it in until I let take him outside.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts