Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, everytime, and I do mean everytime, I give the boys a treat they know to sit first without being told. Now the quirk. Duke ALWAYS sits to the right of Freckles as they are facing me. He will run around Freckles to be on the right if Freckles is already sitting. Since I have noticed this quirk I have never seen Duke sit to the left of Freckles.

The second quirk is even stranger. Most of you now know the story of how Duke came to us and his meeting my old man Jake in the Vets office. I am convinced that somehow, at that passing brief meeting, Jake passed on part of his soul and knowledge to Duke.
Jake was fascinated, for some reason, with our back guest room and everytime he found the door partially open he would push his way in. The door would then swing shut on its own trapping him. He would then wait without making a sound until we realized he was missing and "rescued" him from the room. The second day after we brought Duke home he went missing in the house and sure enough I found him quietly sitting behind the closed door to that same guest room. He has since done it several times.

Now yesterday as we were walking the boys Dukesmom asked me if I noticed how Duke reacted to manhole covers in the street and if it reminded me of anyone. Sure enough, Duke, like Jake, refused to step on one of those covers electing to either walk around or jump over.
I hadn't really noticed that before so we started testing him and every time he would avoid stepping on the cover. Freckles, on the other hand, didn't even notice them and walked on them without missing a step.
Could this be a coincidence that two dogs would react the same to two unusual events? Boy I wish I could understand what's going on in those furry heads.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
LOL. It is funny I think they learn a lot by watching each other so maybe duke saw jake do it and figured there must be some reason so he should do it too...lol

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bacatherine,
The really eerie part is that Jake passed away seven weeks before we adopted Duke. They only met once in the Vets office when Duke was still with his former family and he was only three months old.
That's what's so strange about Duke doing the very same things Jake would do.
Twilight Zone material.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Linda,
No. He was never officially allowed to go into that room as we wanted to try to keep it as Lab fur free as possible for guest. I do not know what was so irresistible about that room.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I think Jake connected with Duke somehow, someway. Pretty cool if you ask me. 8)

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
There are many things in life..that leave us scratching our heads..I would like to think..that somehow..in this worlds mysterious way..something passed between them at the time of their meeting at the vets..I'm a romantic..I guess. I think it's neat tho.
Jackie

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I think it's neat too..... we have had a similar experience with our first Lab, Sherman. Our dog that had to be pts suddenly, (bloat) at a ripe old age, we think somehow picked out Sherman for us. We had decided to go look at some Lab puppies at a local breeder. Sherman, was the LAST puppy left from this litter. We were actually looking for a yellow Lab, and that litter was only a few days old. But when my Husband spotted Sherman, (he was about 10 wks old) sitting in the outdoor kennel, so straight and erect with those big ole Lab ears standing out, he was hoping that was the one that was for sale....... well, we brought him home right away...... and ever since, he has been reminding us of our Napoleon...... he does so many similar things........ we have 3 other Labs, but Sherman is the one that always does things that Napoleon used to do......... we just think Napoleon picked him out for us....... and fate led us to him. I feel it's a heartwarming feeling, knowing that part of our Napoleon is still with us , in this way........

Do you believe in Orbs ? Right after we brought Sherman home and took lots of pics, we saw Orbs in them....... I believe, do you ? http://theshadowlands.net/ghost/orbs.htm

Melissa
;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts