Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still can't get over the difference in him in a month.

Then

Today

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Wow. Beyond how much cleaner he is, he is fuller looking! I'd say he's a healthier and happier horse!!

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wormed him the day after I got him. I'm going to worm him again at the end of the month, then he'll be on a every other month worming schedule. That plus the better hay has done wonders, I think.

T

·
0 Posts
bearsdad said:
Wow. Beyond how much cleaner he is, he is fuller looking! I'd say he's a healthier and happier horse!!
That's what I see too!!!! :D

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One thing I found out today, his sorrel parts are warm. I took my hand out of the glove to run my hands over him and I couldn't believe how warm the sorrel parts were to the touch.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Very handsome! It's amazing what elbow grease will do for a coat :)

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yellojakesmom said:
I haven't done any. LOL It's not good to brush a winter coat. It can actually hurt his ability to stay warm.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
labby said:
yellojakesmom said:
I haven't done any. LOL It's not good to brush a winter coat. It can actually hurt his ability to stay warm.
Hmm, I haven't ever heard of not brushing a horse through winter - especially if you're saddling them. I thought you had a thread about grooming him too when you first got him? He certainly looks cleaner! A coat matted down with dirt or manure won't keep a horse very warm. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post? Either way he looks great!

Also, if you're interested I went to a great lecture on newer deworming practices. It was really interesting, I can't post it here as I'm not the owner of it - but it really made a lot of sense to me. If you PM your email addy I'd be happy to send it along :happy:

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
haven't done any. LOL It's not good to brush a winter coat. It can actually hurt his ability to stay warm.
I've never heard this one. You should always brush your horse before and after a ride. Use a soft tooth curry comb to stimulate the skin. It will help circulation and spread the oils that will help both skin and coat condition.

Weren't you brushing him when you first got him?

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
raian said:
haven't done any. LOL It's not good to brush a winter coat. It can actually hurt his ability to stay warm.
I've never heard this one. You should always brush your horse before and after a ride. Use a soft tooth curry comb to stimulate the skin. It will help circulation and spread the oils that will help both skin and coat condition.

Weren't you brushing him when you first got him?
Gee and three vets told me not to because vigorous grooming can remove the protection he needs in the winter from the coat. Apparently, what these vets said, the sebaceous glands produce a waxy waterproof coating next to the skin which vigorous grooming can remove.

Minimum grooming is allowed, but no brushes. Just a cloth over the back before and after riding.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
His transformation is wonderful to see!
(Um... what are his sorrel parts? Rather hear from you than Mr. Google, if that's not too annoying.)

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
He sure cleans up. :)

He's so handsome. Just look how much brighter his color is. :)

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorrel = dark reddish parts or his non-white parts. He's a sorrel and white tobiano Paint. Tobiano means he has a dark head, white patches over his back between his neck and rump and a tail with two or more colors in it.

There are three official Paint patterns. Overo (no crossing of the white over the back, usually a colored tail and a lot of white on the face with usually at least one blue eye), Tovero, (usually mostly white with a medicine hat - dark patch on the head but with blue eyes) with a few color splotches on the body and then Tobiano like Toby.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Paddysmom said:
His transformation is wonderful to see!
(Um... what are his sorrel parts? Rather hear from you than Mr. Google, if that's not too annoying.)
I have no idea what this is either.

But he looks like a different horse!!! Wonderful!

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
ok.. So is his dark red parts supposed to be warm? Sorry.... I have no idea.... :whistle: :laugh:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts