Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I are discussing getting a second lab. Our girl is 13 months and we would love for her to have a brother or sister. We are not completely comfortable with the idea yet as we have never had more than one dog at a time. Any pros or cons to help think it out would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I say if you aren't feeling comfortable NOW then don't get another dog NOW. You can always wait. But if you get another dog when you are not ready, chances are that you will come to regret your decision. Two dogs means double trouble, double work, double costs, double everything. Make sure you have any 'issues' with your current dog (such as recall, obedience, etc) handled before you bring another dog into your home. There are many pros to having two dogs, but there are many cons as well. I currently only have one dog, but I would like another (in the future). Hopefully some of the people with 2 or more pups can throw in their two cents.

·
Registered
286 Posts
We have had two labs for about 12 years. Our first pair were a year apart in age and we got the female because are male needed some canine company to wear him out. We just couldn't tire him at all. The first week we got the second puppy we thought we had made a terrible mistake........they fought all week. Week two was completely different and they lived together in harmony till he was 7 and she was 6. When he died the younger lab went into some sort of depression and separation anxiety without him. It got so bad with the barking and howling went we left her that the vet told us to get her another puppy for company or put her on meds for separation anxiety. But since she was older it might be harder for her.

We got her another canine companion and they love each other now we have two females. The problem is that we are going to have the same problem I think when the older one goes. The older lab is now 12 and the younger 5. The younger one already goes bizarre if the older one isn't with her so we will one day have some adjusting to do.

My advice is the partnership between the two dogs is wonderful and they are better I think as two. The con is that they get so close that they can't be without each other.

We have decided that we won't get another lab and will have to help out remaining lab through things if they happen. But we ca'nt keep going through this all the time.

I don't know if my situation twice is common but that is what has happened to us.

Good luck.

One thing, i was told that two males don't do as well as a male and female together or two females.

Also you also do have to remember that there is double the costs for food, vet bills, etc. It is more expensive but it also sure is great.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Don't get one until you are ready. I love having 2 dogs and would never give them up but to be honest I won't have 2 again. It could be because Buddy was only 11 months old when we got Bailey or if was because I had small children in the house but 2 puppies was alot of work. They are getting better now that they are older and it's becoming alot more enjoy able. It's harder to find someone to take them when you go away and kennel cost are alot for 2 dogs. I never thought it would be an issue cause we don't go away alot but life changes. Food - buddy is on a vet diet cost more, meds if they end up with ear problems etc. it all adds up. make sure you can afford both dogs. make sure you can afford the emergency that happen. Buddy and bailey have both had emergency surgeries.- never thought of that.
I'm not trying to discourage you into getting two dogs I just want you make sure you can afford to do it. I would never trade B&B- I love to see them play together , sleep together and they are great together. Just be pretty sure your ready :)

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I waited 3.5 years to get a second. RIder is 4 and Rookie is 13 weeks. I'd recommend waiting until you are sure, can afford a second dog and have time for a second. And I'd also wait until your current dog is trained to your satisfaction. Because they will revert a little...and your new dog will learn form your current dog....good and bad.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
I agree with the others. Don't get another dog until you are ready for another. Two dogs means double everything. Twice the food, twice the vet bills, etc. Would I have it any other way? Not on your life! Well, unless I decide to get a third! :D

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Definitely agree with what has been said. If you feel in any way, shape or form that you are NOT ready, DON'T do it. Getting a second dog is a huge commitment financially and emotionally. You must be completely sure that you and your family can handle two dogs and everything that comes with multi dog ownership -- for better or for worse. Two dogs can be a joy but they can also be a nightmare so it is important you make the right choice.

Our girl is 13 months and we would love for her to have a brother or sister.
You should only get a second dog because YOU want one, not because you want to provide your current dog with a brother or sister. Remember, they don't care. They can't miss what they don't already have. It will be you who deals with the vet bills, the picking up poop, the two rambunctious dogs on leash and the two dogs who enjoy tearing around the backyard causing mischief.

Some questions to ask yourself. Can you afford two dogs? do you have the space for two dogs? can you physically handle two dogs on the leash? do you have the time to train the new puppy while continuing to train your other dog? are you willing to spend time individually with each dog preferably on a daily basis?

D

·
0 Posts
I personally feel that you should have 2-3 years in age between dogs. Your current dog is still a puppy and will be one for quite a while (behaviorally). Wait until dog 1 is old enoiugh to be a good influence on the new pup. It will make managing the second much easier.

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
You have some great advice above, and good questions to ask yourselves. We got our second dog (Bodie) when our first one (Sam) was about a year old. That was over three years ago. It has worked out great for us, but we were ready for a second dog. Sam loves having Bodie to play with, and right away Sam needed much less attention from us because he was having so much fun with Bodie. Prior to Bodie, we were Sam's main source of entertainment.

There is twice as much food and poop, but for us it hasn't been twice as much vet bills because Sam is the one always needing to go to the vet for something or the other, and Bodie only has needed to go for vaccinations. So Bodie has probably cost us a couple hundred over the years, and Sam has cost us more thousands than I want to count.

I also want to add that I expected Bodie to be somewhat like Sam because they both were labs (Sam was my first dog, so my only experience with owning dogs was with him). I quickly learned that they are as different as night and day, but each one adds so much to our lives. When you are ready, I think a second dog is wonderful.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I wrestled with the same decision several years ago. Now I can not imagine having only one. Nick & Nora are great for each other and they double my enjoyment!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Get a second dog for YOU, not for your dog. We got Finley when Kira was 2 1/2 and although they are best of friends and love to play together, I really think Kira could take or leave him. She always seems so grateful when we give her time away from him. ;D He, on the other hand, is totally lost without her. The day I took Kira to the vet and left Finley home alone, he howled so long and loud the neighbours called the ranger to complain. I suspect we will have the same problem as Lab13 if anything happens to Kira, and I think it is a pretty common problem in two dog households. I personally love having two dogs. They are both so very different and both so very wonderful. Finley did learn alot from Kira, his potty training was a breeze and his recall is decent without us putting much effort in at all, so I am glad that she was a little older when we got him so that she has been more of a positive influence than a bad one. It is harder to take them for walks, there is more mess to clean up, and of course it is more of a financial drain. The extra food cost is nothing compared to the cost of heartworm and flea prevention. It certainly adds up, but it is worth it when you have two soggy little faces resting on your lap. :)

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
We got Abby when Molly was 3 years old. It worked out well for us because Molly was trained & well behaved. She also had free run of the house. I love having the two girls, even if it means more poop to scoop & higher food & vet bills. It is so well worth it. :)

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
All great advice and I really cannot add anything. Right now I do not have the space or resources financially for a second dog. Even if all that were lined up though, I would not now for the simple reason Tal is only 10 months and I want to wait until he is at least 2 years old before getting a second. Plus by then I hope to be in a house with a fenced yard. All that to say that even if you are ready make sure your dog is ready for another also.

F

·
0 Posts
Wait until you're current Labrador is a year of two or three, and then start thinking about a second Labrador ;)

And think about this, you're family is already the pack with you as a leader for him/her ;)

But, a second Labrador is double the fun! ;D

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Emma was 14 months old when we got Aidan. Our ideal was to wait for her to be 2+ yrs but hey...it didnt work out that way.

We couldnt be happier with how things turned out. Emma is thrilled to have a little brother and we are thrilled to have Aidan. Things could not have worked out better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts