Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you really watch that much tv after you get home from work? I really don't.

Also did you parents watch a lot of tv when you were a child? I do remember our tv being on but with 7 kids and 2 parents we never all seemed to sit down and watch it.

My fondest memories of course were Sat morning cartoons and Sunday it was either Laurel & Hardy reruns or old black & white movies.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
When the weather's nice we hardly watch at all. In the winter we DVR our few favorites and watch at our convenience. When we were kids we hardly watched, just a few favorites like Lassie and Walt Disney on Sunday night. That was about it.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
TV watching for Eileen and me is usually well after dinner, say 9-11PM, when the kids are either in bed or heading to bed.

Familywise, we usually watch something together on Friday nights or elsewhere on the wknds. Either a vid or something we've TiVo'ed. We rotate thru the family for the 'picker', the person whose turn it is to decide the movie/show we're watching together. It usually -- but not always -- avoids WWIII at decision-times.

As a kid, we had ONE SET in my parents' bedroom (my Mom hated TVs in the living room, where company would come over and people would be flopped on the furniture, munching popcorn and swilling soda -- this was well before the advent of a family room). So we'd gather in front of the B&W set in the evenings, fix the rabbit ears to clear up snow, and watch something we could all agree on. After school the TV was pretty much a free-for-all after homework was done. Lotsa Looney Tunes, Three Stooges, syndicated sitcoms. Sat morning was CARTOONS from 8-noon.

My Dad LOVED comedies, so if one of 'his' movies were on -- ANY in the Pink Panther series, "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World," "The Great Race" etc. -- we'd nestle in and laugh along w/him. I always curled up on the floor at the foot of their bed to watch TV, a habit I cannot shake in adulthood. STILL TO THIS DAY, I prefer watching TV while lying on the floor.

My Mom loved musicals, so we'd watch "Singin' in the Rain" and "My Fair Lady" and "West Side Story" and "The Sound of Music." These were BIG-BIG events because, other than a re-release in a big theater, there was no chance of seeing this stuff at all.

Same w/the Christmas/Halloween specials (Charlie Brown et al). Woe be to the kid who missed one. They wouldn't ring around again for a WHOLE YEAR!!!!!!!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Now that the weather is nice, hardly at all. We're out on the deck from the time we get home until pretty much time for bed.

When I was little, Disney on Sundays, The Waltons (Sundays too, no?), cartoons, Davey & Goliath (love that!). The huge yearly event was The Wizard of Oz. Dad would start the fireplace and we'd pop popcorn. :)

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TV watching for Eileen and me is usually well after dinner, say 9-11PM, when the kids are either in bed or heading to bed.

Familywise, we usually watch something together on Friday nights or elsewhere on the wknds. Either a vid or something we've TiVo'ed.

As a kid, we had ONE SET in my parents' bedroom (my Mom hated TVs in the living room, where company would come over and people would be flopped on the furniture, munching popcorn and swilling soda -- this was well before the advent of a family room). So we'd gather in front of the B&W set, fix the rabbit ears to clear up snow, and watch something we could all agree on. We rotate thru the family for the 'picker', the person whose turn it is to decide the movie/show we're watching together. It usually -- but not always -- avoids WWIII at decision-times.

My Dad LOVED comedies, so if one of 'his' movies were on -- ANY in the Pink Panther series, "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World," "The Great Race" etc. -- we'd nestle in and laugh along w/him. I always nestled on the floor at the foot of their bed to watch TV, a habit I cannot shake in adulthood. STILL TO THIS DAY, I prefer watching TV while lying on the floor.

My Mom loved musicals, so we'd watch "Singin' in the Rain" and "My Fair Lady" and "West Side Story" and "The Sound of Music." These were BIG-BIG events because, other than a re-release in a big theater, there was no chance of seeing this stuff at all.

Same w/the Christmas/Halloween specials (Charlie Brown et al). Woe be to the kid who missed one. They wouldn't ring around again for a WHOLE YEAR!!!!!!!
YES we all watched tv lying on the floor!! I agree with having to watch the Christmas/Halloween specials no way was I going to miss them!!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
How could I have forgotten those?! Christmas specials - my favorite time of year as a kid!!! :)

My parents didn't watch alot, but they were huge M*A*S*H fans.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Aim -- One of the Christian stations on our cablebox would re-run Davey & Goliath every morning at 7AM. For months, I'd come in from walking Wes and, while I made his bfst and put coffee on for Eileen and me, I'd watch.

Still entertaining, I've got to say, after all those years. Sally, however, was a nit.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
We've got the tv on for probably three hours a night but we're not always watching. Chris cannot sit in a quiet house so even if we're doing something else, the tv is on. There's probably one show a night we really want to watch and the rest is just background noise.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
I remember when we got our color tv...woo hoo!.
Ditto. It was a surprise. Mom & Dad went out to run an "errand" and came home with a behemoth Zenith color TV. First show we ever watched in color was "Hogan's Heroes." Followed by the movie "The Seven Faces of Dr. Lao," with Tony Randall and Barbara Eden.

That Zenith came with some sort of cardboard wheel that you were supposed to use to adjust the tones and tints. GAH>>> The arguments we had over that damnable wheel. "THE FACES ARE TOO GREEN!!! Adjust the contrast!" "NO not the contrast, the brightness." "Now they're too orange." "ARE NOT!!" "Well what does the wheel say?" "I don't care -- Walter Cronkite shouldn't look like he has sunburn!!!"

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
We watch sports when we are home. We do DVR Survivor when it is on, but that is about it.

When I was a kid, my parents refused to have cable . . . so we only had 3 channels (4 if we could get someone to stand next to the 3000 lb console tv and hold the antena). With all of that technology, we were also only allowed 1 hour of tv per day.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
We didn't have color TV, I remember going to our friend's house to watch Wizard of Oz the first time in color. What a treat that was!

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
We watched a lot in the evenings and on weekends when I was a kid - Ed Sullivan, M*A*S*H, Bonanza, Walt Disney, many others, plus Saturday mornings. Mickey Mouse Club after school.

Now, the TV is on almost all day long, though we are not watching it 75% of the time. I like the background noise.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
We didn't have color TV, I remember going to our friend's house to watch Wizard of Oz the first time in color. What a treat that was!
I rmember watching it with my Dad, and when Dorothy would step out into Munchkin Land, he'd always tell us that this was where it would go into color if you had a color tv, which obviously we didn't. The horse of a different color you've heard so much about pretty much sucked in B & W too.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
my sister and i got home after school, changed, and ran over to the neighbors. we wouldn't come home until 8:00. the same with the weekends. we watched the typical saturday morning cartoons but once the neighborhood kids were awake, we were out riding bikes, playing in creeks, going to the public pool, or shopping in our local town. my mom never had to talk to us about watching too much TV or playing video games for too long.

now that i'm older, i come home, play with the girls, change, and take out my latest book. i'll read for 4-5 hours every afternoon and maybe watch an hour or two of the news.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
LOL!!! True story: Eileen's grandmother was a ninety-something Italian mama who ruled with an iron fist. It was her way or the highway. Yet she lived w/Eileen's parents, all in one home. Funny. She never paid a dime toward the mortgage, but she was a total dictator.

Anway, she decided, oh, probably back in 1959 or so that Color TV would 'hurt your eyes.' So she never allowed it in the home. All Eileen's TVs growing up were B&W.

It took UNTIL WE WERE MARRIED (((that's 1988, folks))) before she saw Wizard of Oz in color!!!!

She never 'got' the gag about the Horse of a Different Color.

Eileen, on seeing it for the first time: "Ohhhhhhhhhh... so THAT's what that was all about!!!!"

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LOL!!!!!

First color show I think we watched was Bionic Woman...but then again my memory is a little foggy.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I watch about 6 hours of TV a week. I sleep in front of the TV about the same amount of time. I don't have a steady after work routine. I live 4 nights a week in a hotel so maybe if that ever changes, I might be inclined to watch more TV.

I don't like too much of the regular programming. I do like NCIS re-runs as they are new to me. Other than that I dont watch the popular shows that most people do. I just don't have the interest for it.

I love the Music channels. They are on all the time. but no picture.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts