Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
be taking Boo in for her ACL surgery. I am stressing out over this. My stomach is flipping, I am just so nervous about it. I feel like crying. Any suggestions from you to make getting through this any easier????

***Well, once he put Boo under and could really check her knees out, he recommended that an anti-inflamatory is the way to go at this time. He doesn't think she has any real damage but mostly inflammation. He also x-rayed her hips to rule out a hip problem and found that she has some HD in her hips. Nothing extreme at this time but she will probably have arthritis in her hips and knees as she ages. Right now tho, he thinks we need to monitor her rather than jump into surgery that may not be needed. I haven't gotten to talk at length with him but will when I pick her up in an hour or so. Whew, I have been a mess through this.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers and support. You are a wonderful group and I thank God you are there for me and everyone else you all help.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Re: Tuesday at 8:00am I will

Pray. That's what I did with Frankie's neuter lastweek. :angel:

I hope and pray that Boo will have a successful surgery and a quick recovery. Will be thinking of you tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts

Prayers and good thoughts coming your way. Try having a couple of glasses of wine tonight, that might relax you.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Nellie's mom, I may just go for a couple of shots of tequila with salt and lemon. AAAhhhh a few of those and they could do ACL surgery on me. :eek: I know I won't sleep good tonight. :-\

·
Registered
4,419 Posts

nellies mom said:
Prayers and good thoughts coming your way. Try having a couple of glasses of wine tonight, that might relax you.
That's the only advice I have...... try the wine........ will keep him in my prayers.

Melissa
;)

·
Registered
10,345 Posts

jzgrlduff said:
Pray. That's what I did with Frankie's neuter lastweek. :angel:

I hope and pray that Boo will have a successful surgery and a quick recovery. Will be thinking of you tomorrow.
I second that. And prayers and good thoughts for a successful surgery and very speedy recovery!

·
Registered
10,258 Posts

good thoughts for a great surgery. Take it one day at a time. That's what I did. Don't look at the far off point, but just at one day at a time :) Recovery will go by quicker than you think.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Thank you all for your support. I know she will do just fine, we have excellent vets and one is a personal friend so I know he will get her through this. It's just so scary! Thinking of your sweet girl going under the knife. ewwwww

·
Registered
8,752 Posts

Sending good thoughts and prayers for you and Boo!!

·
Registered
577 Posts

I will be keeping you and Boo in my thoughts. We are 4 weeks post TPLO with Gus and he goes in for his first checkup on Thursday. One of the hardest things in the whole process for me was when I took him in the morning of surgery. I cried most of the way home!

Is Boo having TPLO or traditional?

I was a wreck the first few days, but we are surviving and Raian is right, the time just flies by. The biggest problem we are having at the moment is keeping him calm. He thinks is is ready to go for a run!

The things that really helped me:
-the support of the folks on this board (I don't post much so I really appreciated everyone sending out thoughts and prayers for Gus)
-reading everything I could (the Yahoo ortho dog group was helpful and Labby has some really good information on her site)
-I used Labby's idea of making a sling out of a tote bag and that worked better for me than the slings that you buy or a towel since the handle was easier for me to grip
-I bought a telescoping pet ramp and we are using it to take Gus outside and for the Jeep-I purchased it for vehicle use, but it works perfect out my front door so I only have to support him with the "sling" instead of lifting him up and down steps.

I'll be glad to help with any questions if I can. I am certainly no expert, but I am at least going through the process just ahead of you so things are fresh in my mind. Lots of folks on this board have been through the surgery with their labs and I bet there is someone here who has encountered any situation that we might get into with our dogs. Thankfully, they are all willing to share and give helpful advice.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts

I saw that someone posted about this so I answered there - then I found this post. Buddy (a/k/a/ Boo at home) had his 2nd leg done last Thursday. The procedure he gets seems to be different than what most of the others get. He comes home groggy from the anesthesia but once it wears off, he does remarkably well. He was actually toe touching over the weekend and is using it today. Not a lot but enough to show me he's on the mend.
I hope and pray this goes well for you and Boo. I know how scary it can be. I'll look for updates.
Pam

·
Registered
6,118 Posts

No advice, I'm always a wreck when I have to leave any of the fur-kids at the vet overnight or take them in for something serious. But positive thoughts coming your way - to Boo (and vet) for a successful surgery, and to you for strength.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts

There are some wonderful yahoo groups for people who have been through this surgery with their dogs.
Labby also has a section on her site from when Darby had the surgery.
Orthodogs is a good group also.

Sending lots of good thoughts and wishing the best for Boo. Update is when you can.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts

just seeing this today, hope all went well with boo's surgery.
good thoughts out to you guys!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts