Just Labradors banner

Tucker is Back ... but he brought a friend with him ...

2K views 26 replies 25 participants last post by  budbud 
#1 ·
So as many of you know, we nearly lost Tucker (our 2.5 year old black male) on Sunday night due to a massive seizure/seizures. By the grace of God (or whatever higher power you believe in :) ) he pulled through and is home right now, playing with Quacky (his stuffed duck). Unfortunately, he now has kennel cough. I kid you not. On Monday, as we were celebrating Tucker's return, we got a call from Steve's aunt whose cottage we had been at the weekend before - 'Ruby (Sheltie) has kennel cough.' At the time, Tucker showed no symptons. All three dogs there had been drinking out of the same water bowl BUT we assumed he was safe. Tonight when I got home from work, a very excited Tucker begin the whooping cough that is indigenous to KC sufferers. Frig. Tucker has been vaccinated EVERY year, but this is the SECOND time he had gotten KC. Of course, I immediately called the vet and we are heading back tommorrow.

Oh lah! I am not asking for good thoughts/prayers as you have all been generous enough in that department and it is only KC - there are more dogs here that need them. Just wanted to keep our peeps in the know!
Tucker is certainly no worse for the wear.

Dude, Kennel Cough sucks ... look how stressed I am ...

See less See more
#18 ·
Feel better, Tucker. All 3 of mine got it after I got home from the Potomac. There are so many different strains out there....still better to have the vaccination but as you found out, it's not a guarantee.
Love that picture of him..he looks completely relaxed 8)
If the cough gets really annoying for him, you can use robitussin cough medicine. I bought the gel caps rather than struggle to pour the liquid down their throats ::) I used one cap at night so they could get some rest. ( and me too :laugh:)

#19 ·
WeHeartLabs said:
Feel better, Tucker. All 3 of mine got it after I got home from the Potomac. There are so many different strains out there....still better to have the vaccination but as you found out, it's not a guarantee.
Love that picture of him..he looks completely relaxed 8)
If the cough gets really annoying for him, you can use robitussin cough medicine. I bought the gel caps rather than struggle to pour the liquid down their throats ::) I used one cap at night so they could get some rest. ( and me too :laugh:)
Oooh good to know about the Robitussin, thanks Susan. This should be fun, there is an incident in this household called the 'Pepto Bismol Disaster of '06' where, in an effort to give Tuck the PB it ended up on the couch, his body, me ... everywhere but in his belly ;D The boy doesn't like meds that cannot be hidden in cream cheese.

#24 ·
Awwwww... poor boy ! I hope you get over that stuff real soon !! You've been through enough , already!! He is going to HATE going back to the vets !! (((((hugs))))) Tucker...... even though you do NOT look stressed in that pic !

Melissa
;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.