Just Labradors banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He is a black 14 week old. He seems like one of the most low energy pups I have ever seen. I am hoping to hunt with him as he is a curious little guy, really smart and is starting to like fetching. I feel like he never gets excited, even when I praise the hell out of him. He is growing extremely fast. He is 33 pounds and eats 4 cups of food a day, split up over 3 meals. His paws are massive. I walk him every morning for 20 minutes and play with him when he is fired up during the day, which is maybe two times for a few minutes or so. When I picked him out of the litter he was one of the most wired, brave and outgoing pups at 6 weeks but not so much since I got him home. When we go new places he seems to get pretty excited meeting new people/dogs. He just seems like a slow mover! He even wags his tail slow, unlike his sister whom my friend has, is absolutely wired. Is he just bored at home, am I not exercising him enough? He is also super birdy and shows great predator drive, his dad is a good hunter.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Gosh- I think we've covered this before for you.What do you want to hear? What do you want us to say that we didn't say before? He is big pup, maybe he isn't going to be super fast, maybe he's just in a "phase", maybe enough time hasn't passed since the last time we discussed this to have things change that much. He sounds like a wonderful pup to me. I do not hunt with my dogs, so I haven't raised enough "hunting dogs" to know how this dog might turn out. Why don't you take him to a hunt club , go to some training sessions with him - not necessarily to train, but to talk to people who are experienced in these things, so they can see him and see what they think. If he is super birdy, and has hunting in his blood, why do you need him to be "wired" at this point? What kind of hunting do you do? Love this pup for himself, enjoy working with him and don't worry about it right now - there's no way you can make a dog "wired" , who doesn't come that way. Most of us spend our time trying to get our dogs to calm down somewhat. Does he have any other dogs to play with - that might get him a little more energized.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Java was super mellow as a pup...it really threw me for a loop as I was expecting a wild and crazy lab pup, but she wasn't at all. She wasn't interested in retrieving or swimming that much.
Now, she is all about retrieving and swims every chance she gets.
May be the same for your pup..or he may always just be mellow. Doesn't mean he won't have enough drive for hunting.
My brother's hunting lab (Hunter) was as mellow as you could ask for-did not fit the stereotypical crazy hunting lab-but he got his MH title and was one of the top hunting dogs in our region. When he wasn't "working" he was just chill.....as soon as my brother said it was "time to go to work" he was as focused as any dog I have ever seen. Hunting was his passion.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well basically, I just wanted to make sure I was feeding him the right amount, his weight is good and theres nothing I should be alarmed for. Sorry Pat I'm 19 and this is my first dog, I was just a little worried because I've never done this before and he wasn't super energetic like most pups I've seen (See why I'm curious...) It's not really a problem, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't... But I live in Idaho and I can't find any groups near where I live to go train with. I duck hunt mostly but he does like to play with other dogs, we don't have any but I've been trying to socialize him as much as I can at the park and stuff. Thanks for the reply Javasmom thats way cool he got his MH title.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Well basically, I just wanted to make sure I was feeding him the right amount, his weight is good and theres nothing I should be alarmed for. Sorry Pat I'm 19 and this is my first dog, I was just a little worried because I've never done this before and he wasn't super energetic like most pups I've seen (See why I'm curious...) It's not really a problem, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't... But I live in Idaho and I can't find any groups near where I live to go train with. I duck hunt mostly but he does like to play with other dogs, we don't have any but I've been trying to socialize him as much as I can at the park and stuff. Thanks for the reply Javasmom thats way cool he got his MH title.
It is very cool that Hunter got his MH title....my point though is that if you had seen him outside of the hunting environment you never would have thought he had the drive to be a hunting dog because he was SO mellow. But, he was entirely different when it was time to work in the field.
Just keep encouraging your pup on retrieves and enjoy his mellowness!!
It's not often we hear people complaining that their Lab puppy is TOO mellow-it's usually just the opposite!!

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
And you're complaining because...? Cherish this. He could be tearing up your house and eating your shoes. Buddy was just like what you're describing. There's nothing wrong with him and he has a Working Certificate from the Labrador Retriever Club, and a CDX from the AKC. Stop worringl

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
that was how bentley was on a leash and when i first got him after 2 weeks from when ig to him he was SO energetic when he came out of his shell and jnust got over his leash fobia.so he is probley just still in his shell and/or have you called your vet about it if you are so worried.check his gumns and make sure he isnt to lethargic remeber puppies gumms can be white but not to white...

·
Registered
41 Posts
After speaking to your vet, I would relax and enjoy your pup. When you get other dogs in the future, you will see the big differences. Be glad for your first one being mellow.
Kera has what I call a fine nose. She is energetic, learning that is a Lab. But she has also learned to mellow, I like that. I will never hunt with her, but I love watching her use her nose, go to point. She makes me aware of what is around some days. I watched her go and round up my chickens, luckily they survived!
You will do fine.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Some puppies do change as they get older - some do not. Some adult Labs can turn off their drive when they are not working. That is actually WAY preferable to having a dog that is hard to live with (so much energy that keeping them exercised is a part time job for you). Enjoy the dog you have. If you can't see ribs and he is gaining and growing you are not underfeeding him.

I find it hard to believe that where you live there is not some group that hunts - even if informally. Have you asked your vet? Inquired with your breeder? They could be good resources for you.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Lola was a very laid back puppy, I thought at first "she must be sick". She never got overly excited about anything, never jumped, never chewed....then she hit 1 and that is all changing. Her energy is picking up. Enjoy the mellow stage, it may not last and if it does consider yourself lucky. Most lab owners would love your dog:) I agree with Javasmom, encourage him to retrieve and enjoy him. Good luck, he sounds wonderful.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright, thanks for the replies everyone. I took him on a short hike this weekend and he met tons of new people, he is always really excited to check out new places/people but I think he's just bored in the house. He loves being outside so I think he will make a fine hunting partner.

·
Registered
1 Posts
He is a black 14 week old. He seems like one of the most low energy pups I have ever seen. I am hoping to hunt with him as he is a curious little guy, really smart and is starting to like fetching. I feel like he never gets excited, even when I praise the hell out of him. He is growing extremely fast. He is 33 pounds and eats 4 cups of food a day, split up over 3 meals. His paws are massive. I walk him every morning for 20 minutes and play with him when he is fired up during the day, which is maybe two times for a few minutes or so. When I picked him out of the litter he was one of the most wired, brave and outgoing pups at 6 weeks but not so much since I got him home. When we go new places he seems to get pretty excited meeting new people/dogs. He just seems like a slow mover! He even wags his tail slow, unlike his sister whom my friend has, is absolutely wired. Is he just bored at home, am I not exercising him enough? He is also super birdy and shows great predator drive, his dad is a good hunter.
Misty is 2 now when I got him at 5 months the previous owner had done nothing but frow a ball for him and it was clear he was worn out he's never really been into fetch since this was a real problem because alls he ever did was chill sniff and pee on walks he had a tone of pent up energy that he would release in a unsuitable manner ie trying to chase kids excessive wyning Iv had to train him a trained retrieve to get him running he's actually pretty good and we work as a team he takes hand signal directions and all that he likes retrieving but he definitely doesn't love it, he's on his first shoots this year and we will c how he does there are 5 field champions in his recent blood lines but he's definitely not got that much drive we do as much as we can whilst still having fun the dog you get isn't always the dog you wanted but is the dog you now couldn't live without

1 - 15 of 15 Posts