Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up Hank on Friday. He is the lab/chessie? that Jill pulled from the shelter for me. He is 10 plus years old and has some health issues, but no big deal I thought. When she handed him off to me Friday she gave me the bad news that he had a seizure the night before, and it was pretty bad.

He was fine riding around in the truck with me all day and I thought maybe it was just the stress of the pound. Saturday I was busy with the parvo pups so I did not spend a lot of time with him in the morning. When I checked his crate around noon I saw he had an accident. I let him out to potty and cleaned everything up.

He hung around the family room all afternoon and was doing really good. Around 5pm I haerd a bang and thought he had knocked something over. When I looked, he had gone back into his crate and was in the middle of a full grand maul seizure. I comforted him and stayed with him, it lasted about 90 seconds. He was really out of it afterward. It took most of 30 minutes for him to regain his bearings. After seeing how the crate looked when he was done, I am sure he also had one earlier in the day that no one heard.

Poor old boy, he is so happy and friendly. I wish I could take his pain away. We will be at the vets bright and early tomorrow to see what we can do for Hank.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
He looks like a sweet old guy.
My Tucson had grand mal seizures. Phenobarbytal took care of that. She also had a hard time after a seizure. The vet explained to me that for a period afterward she was blind and deaf.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
What a sweet face -- I hope the vet can give him something to ease his discomfort and help you, too! I say it again, Joe -- thanks for all you do for these dogs.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Hope the vet can fix that problem..... he does look like a sweet old soul....... how could anyone abandon him.......... please keep us posted.

Melissa
;)

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
Aww, his eyes just draw you right in! Hope some meds can help him with the seizures.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Oh Joe, I hope the vet can help him. He looks so sweet, I love his eyes. :-* It's just not fair. Sometimes life sucks. Today it sucks. :-\

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Joe, bless you for all you do. Sounds like the vet will be able to help him and I agree with Linda - his eyes just draw you in.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Joe with our clients, some of them say they can still hear during their seizures & having someone talk to them while they are having a seizure helps them "come out" faster. We usually try to reassure them someone is there, they are safe & to try to relax. :-\
Thanks for giving this older fella a chance. :)

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
I am sorry Joe. It is hard to see somthing like this. I am sure having you to care and love him will be a great help to him. Poor old boy. He looks so charming.

When Sam (the Lab I pay the vet bills for) had a seizure a few months ago I felt so frightened for him. Meds help Sam.

Humans can feel very jaded and often have headaches after seizures, so if dogs feel similar it will take a little time for him to adjust to what has happened.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was blessed to have met Hank when I picked up Jocko. What a sweet, loving gentle soul he is. Hopefully the vet will have good news for you and Hank, Joe. All paws crossed here and prayers flying for both of you.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
I hope the vet can give you something to help him out. What a sweet face and gaze he has. Im so glad he found you and Barb, Joe.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I hope the vet can help Hank out. He has such love in those eyes, it breaks my heart.

Missing you, my friend.
Huckle 1/9/1992 - 4/25/2006

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Those eyes...man...here's holding good thoughts and a prayer that meds can help him. He looks like such agentle soul...with alot of love to give.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i am optimistic that those eyes are gonna be smiling eyes from now on. joe, you were right. our pockets may be empty most of the times but hey, the love our pets make us feel, it's priceless! thank you joe for loving these dogs unselfishly. im also grateful for all the dog owners out there who keep on showering love to our "angels". god bless us all! :angel:

·
Registered
14,925 Posts
What a gorgeous boy he is!!!! I'm so sorry about the seizures. :( Good thoughts Hank's way. Keep us posted about what the vet says.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts