Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read all the posts I could find about feeding tripe, but still have a few questions. I noticed that some feed canned, and some feed frozen. I bought a can to try, it is just tripe and water. Is the canned as good for the dog as the frozen? Should I use the canned with all the supplements added? Does the canning process kill all the enzymes?

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
I know my holistic vet prefers that one feeds the frozen cause like all frozen products looses less in the processing. But, if all you can get is canned then that is better than nothing. Some cannot stomach (no pun intended) feeding the fresh or frozen tripe.

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have to agree...it does have a really bad odor. I can only imagine how the raw product would smell! :)
The product I found is Tripett. I have not seen frozen tripe anywhere in this area. I gave him some last night...He LOVED it! I hope he does not turn out to be allergic to it. It looks like everyone feeds 2 or 3 tablespoons a day? The label says OK to feed with either a raw diet or dry kibble, so I think I will stay with it for a while, see what it does for him.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
May I ask where you live? If in the US, you can do a search on the Bravo webiste to find a distributor in your area.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Im wanting to give tripe to my ferrets. All I saw in the store was fresh "honkey comb" tripe. It was like rock hard and looked like swiss cheese. Is this stuff good to give? It came from a cow.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
What kind of store? You don't want to give what you get at a grocery--it's been bleached or something like that. The Bravo labels says it is green tripe from cows and not for humans.

By the way--love the pictures of all the ferrets!

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Thank you. lol I've gotten alot of compliments on my siggy lately. ;D

Yes the tripe I was looking at was in the grocery store. But it was white and hard as a rock and looked like swiss cheese, it just didn't look "right" so I didn't buy it. Where could I buy PROPER tripe for ferrets and apollo?

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I live in WA state. The closest retailers to me are in CA. If he is able to tolerate the beef, I will probably consider ordering from one of them. I haven't looked at their sites yet. Just had thought, do they make tripe from other sources of meat, like venison or goat, or does it have to come from the cow.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
I know that in the ground goat and stuff that I get from Hare Today has tripe in it as well.

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, it is good to know there is an alternate source if it turns out he can't have the beef. Does Hare Today have a website?

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the web address. Quite an interesting site. I did not know you could buy whole animal carcasses. This is a really dumb question, but if you bought a whole rabbit or goat, fur and all, do you dress it out, or feed it as is?

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Feed it as is. My friend who does that tells me her Aussies love it. Then they might not eat for a day or two after eating a whole rabbit.

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sooo...what happens to the fur? Feeding a raw diet might be too much for me! :-\

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
yellowlab said:
Sooo...what happens to the fur? Feeding a raw diet might be too much for me! :-\
I personally don't feed whole animals--I don't think I could stomach it (no pun intended!). I feed mostly chicken backs and ground meat. Most of the ground meat has the bones etc in it. Did feed ground rabbit once with the fur. Did you catch the "once"? :p With just doing the ground meats and the chicken backs it is just like preparing meat for us for the most part!

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So true about the chicken backs and ground meat and preparing our own diets. The part that bothers me most is so much raw meat around the house. Barney is inside 90% of the time. I know I could feed him outside, but in bad weather there is no place to feed where it is dry.

BTW, your Caleb is a great looking dog...his diet must surely agree with him! :)

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
yellowlab said:
So true about the chicken backs and ground meat and preparing our own diets. The part that bothers me most is so much raw meat around the house. Barney is inside 90% of the time. I know I could feed him outside, but in bad weather there is no place to feed where it is dry.

BTW, your Caleb is a great looking dog...his diet must surely agree with him! :)

Thanks you! Caleb is a sweetheart!

As for feeding in the house, why are you worried? Along with being better for the dogs it's better for you, too. As long as you wash your hands correctly afterwards there should not be a problem. I feed Caleb in my kitchen. No need to feed him outside.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts