Just Labradors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I paid $11 at PetSmart to have my lab's nails ground down. She didn't like it one bit! I bought a PediPaw at Walmart for $9. It takes 3 people to do her nails: 1 to hold her, 1 to grind the nails, and 1 to feed her treats.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Not sure how good the pedi paw is. I've read it's not powerful enough for labs nails...so it might take awhile to do them. I would first let her sniff the tool with it turned off. Let her sniff and give treat. I would do that for a few days. Then I would turn it on and give treat. Pet her with it..give treat. Do that for a few days. Then I would do one nail a day. Do it in small incriments of time. Till she gets use to it and is not afraid of it. My lab prefers the drimmel tool over clipping her nails.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Great suggestions from Katie - I've found that some dogs just never like it (my Jake is one of those :) )

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Time, practice and patience.

Hudler will allow me to use the scissors, but no dremel. And I have to hunt him down to do this.
Maddy will allow either and she'll come and lay on the floor for me and roll over.
Grace really only likes the scissors, and will hide, unless I grab her first before she knows.
Jack wants attention all the time, so he'll let me do either to him, but only in the sitting position.
Jed allows anything as well.

Just keep at it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.