Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6 1/2 month female chocolate lab "Izzy" recently found Broccoli Spears (freshly tossed in the garbage) and really enjoyed them. I'm wondering though if they're okay for her to eat Broccoli??

In addition since I'm posting (for the first time) I was wondering what anyone might know about Labs eatting carrotts and seedless watermellon?? Carrots had been advised through puppy kindergarden, and she loves them....and the watermellon too was a recent weekend finding over the holiday weekend.

Looking foward to hearing what you might know about Broccoli eatting.

Thanks!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I don't know about the other two- but I do know carrots are fine! Our pup LOVES them - carrots and icecubes are her favorite treats :) The vet just said to limit the carrot intake to a couple per day or it can give them loose stools...

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
I substitute those fat Broccoli stems for rawhide bones sometimes. I give him only one small stem at a time...doesn't have an adverse effects on him :)

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
My dogs LOVE broccoli and carrots. We haven't tried watermelon.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Nellie eats any veggies that I eat. She gets 1/2 can green beans in her food each evening along with any other veggies she can beg from me. She also loves all fruit from bananas, blueberries, strawberries, apples, etc. When it's hot out try freezing some fruit for your pup.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
My Puff especially likes pieces of bananas, peaches, apricots, pineapple, oranges, apple, watermelon, honey dew, cantaloupe, and mangoes.  I understand that apricot pits can be toxic so I only give her pieces of the flesh.  She likes carrots, too, but not as much as sweeter  fruits.

·
Registered
14,925 Posts
Emma loves broccoli too! ...and watermelon, carrots, strawberries, raspberries, apricots.....you name it! But she doesn't like bananas and lettuce ;D

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Oonas Dad said:
Broccoli is fine. Never give her mushrooms, onions, grapes, rasins, and of course chocolate.
Olie
I've given Corby green seedless grapes. Are they not supposed to be good for dogs? ???
He loves them and doesn't show any ill effects, but maybe I shouldn't anymore.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
I'm trying new foods with Brigetta- her stomach is pretty sensitive, but Prudence loves veggies and I want to be able to give them to both dogs- green beans and carrots are a hit in our house!
dakotas mom- thanks for the link.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
We used to give Oona grapes all of the time, she loves them. One won't kill them, in most dogs it would take several. A couple of years ago I read an article in Dog Fancywere 27 dogs had died of renal failure from eating grapes and rasins. Rather than taking a chance we stopped giving them to her altogether.
Olie

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Thanks, Dakotas Mom, I didn't know that about grapes!  I definitely have that off his list of people food now. 

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Any fruits and vegetables other than onions, grapes, and raisins are great for dogs. Those I just named are poisonous, so please be sure to keep them out of reach - and out of the trash!

Shadow loves apples, carrots, watermelon, strawberries, green beans, etc. and they are all healthy treats for them - fills them up with no added calories.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you everyone for your replies. I'm very happy to hear Broccoli is okay for Izzy to eat, with moderation of course! :) And thank you everyone for the other great snack ideas...maximizing her treats with fresh fruits and veggies is great, and I'm happy to hear others are doing it too and have found it to be safe. I'm going to try freezing some sweet fruit as was suggested, great idea, thank you!! This was a wonder link for me. Durning puppy training we were advised to use cheese and chicken for insentives which has worked really well. Yes, chicken she loves!!!...and imported cheese is her delight!! Yep, she's sooooooooooo spoiled, but she's happy and so am I!!

Have a great day...

Izzy's Mom

·
Registered
175 Posts
Murphy LOVES Brocolli....I steam it up for our dinner and always put in a lot of extra for him. His treat is that after dinner, I feed him a spear at a time....he goes crazy for it. The others eat it along wtih him but they are only doing it cuz he does...they really don't care for it all that much!

They also love zuchinni which I have to grate or they don't digest it correctly and end up with the runs. Summer squash, green beans, watermellon, grated carrot or whole, and corn. I don't give them the cob though, I just "knife" off the corn and serve it to them that way along with their kibble.

I try to add at least one vegie per meal; they love their veggies...wish my skin kids did as much as the labs do!

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
All of my boys love broccoli, watermelon, cantaloupe, apples, and carrots. sometimes I put some cut apples into their plain yogurt and freeze it. I don't let the yogurt freeze solid...just kinda icy...they adore it.

·
Registered
405 Posts
One of my dogs prefers Broccoli over Steak!!!!! It seems that they will eat anything especially fruit. I had strawberry's growing outside.......gone as they ripened. I have Peach tree. All the lower branches are missing their peaches. Now everymorning I catch them under the tree looking for their morning snack!! Watermelon is just one of their favorite snacks. Yeah I always thought my dogs were freaks but now I am realizing maybe they are not!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts