Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We made the 1400-1500 mile trip to Vermont w/o incidence -- all but maybe 100 miles was on divided highways (Interstates, etc).

Our preparations were bollixed up a bit by some friends asking for help in finding a suitable therapist for their college age daughter and that took a number of calls getting suggestions, calling them, discussing the issues, etc.

We left Topeka much later than wished but got to our first leg, Indianapolis, IN, (500 miles) eventually.

On previous trips (3k miles: KS→VT→KS; KS→OR→KS) I'd stopped every 2 hours at Interstate rest stops and thrown training dummies for Puff to retrieve. But THIS time, whenever we did that, Puff was so much more interested in sniffing deposits made by other dogs that it was VERY hard to get her attention to retrieve.

ALSO, for those who use GPS personal navigators, be warned: they're not 100% reliable.

I had an early version Garmin Nuvi which worked great almost all the time. BUT recently, ONCE, when I put in an address in nearby Kansas City (home of Garmin) it went completely berserk and directed me around a bunch of wrong streets and highways until I gave up, called the address, and got verbal directions on how to find them.

Today something similiar happened with my brand new Nuvi 760.

On the NY turnpike, with an address for a Syracuse motel entered, it directed me off the highway at 1 or 2 exits too soon, and then gave directions to turn right or left at intersections BUT with completely erroneous names of highways or streets.

I soon discovered I had to ignore these directions and resort to more primitive, previous ways of finding my way. BUT, once I got back on the turnpike/throughway, the directions given were correct.

With my earlier edition Garmin Nuvi, a less sophisticated version, only one similar event happened over several years of use, ordering me in "haywire" directions. That was excellent preparation for this recent occurence and sensitized me to the fact that this can occur.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Unfortuanetly my Garmin Nuvi 360 is in the hands of some crackhead in Queens (Hint: Clean the suction cup marks off the windshield. if the smash and grab crowd sees them, they will break in to find the GPS)

GPS is accurate but it depends on the location. Large metro areas are logged by the old fashioned method of map makers, physically marking each location. More rural areas are mapped via satelite.
So I'm told.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Sounds like it was a good trip, outside your Nuvi giving you bum information.

I have a re-cond TomTom, which I got for $80 on Amazon. So far, it is been spot on with directions. I used it specifically when I traveled out west for work in May. Had to fly into a small (3 gates total) airport in Durango, CO then drive to Farmington, NM. Considering Durango Airport is literally in the middle of butt F nowhere, it got me to Farmington & back without an issue.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
omg.. i have an older model Garmin Nuvi and LOVE it.. man, i would /never/ have taken the trips i have w/o it.. love love love it! Plus, it has never led me astray. =)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
No desire for a GPS.

Today something similiar happened with my brand new Nuvi 760.

On the NY turnpike
So you're still on the road then, Bob? How is Puff adjusting?

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Sounds like a good trip! We have a Garmin it works great most of the time but like you said you do have to watch it. Espeically since we haven't paid the $70 to update the map there are new roads that it doens't have listed.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortuanetly my Garmin Nuvi 360 is in the hands of some crackhead in Queens (Hint: Clean the suction cup marks off the windshield. if the smash and grab crowd sees them, they will break in to find the GPS)
The windshield is too far away if the base is stuck on it in my '06 Civic Hybrid (I'd not be able to reach the screen) so I prop it on the Civic's expansive dash. One attraction of the GN 760 is the ability to quickly disconnect it from its base, slip it in a case and then to my pocket; another is the claim (I've not tried that yet) of taking it with you to find where in the parking lot you parked your car. And removing it each time prevents the type of broken glass you had.

I used my older Nuvi -- one of the first that came out -- for several years and thousands of times without problems.

I do advise people who are getting one to drive around their town using it for a month or so before taking any trips. At least that was a very useful training experience for me. I debated updating my old one but Garmin's update fee is so high I decided to just buy a new one and get more features.

I suspect ANY make GPS navigator will have a bug or two and in reading the reviews (e.g., Amazon's customer reviews) IMO the Garmin Nuvi's have the greater customer satisfaction.

So you're still on the road then, Bob? How is Puff adjusting?
We made it to our Brattleboro, VT, Motel 6 (pets allowed) last night around 7. Had a long walk, threw the training dummy a number of times for Puff, and then met my nephew, Steve, and his new lady friend Lisa, and her college age daughter, Rachel. L&R seem really nice -- genuine -- a very nice choice. The microbrew beer was good, too.

Puff adjusts better on long trips than I do. I recline the back of the front passenger's seat all the way and Puff typically has 5 positions -- (1) navigator/driving instructor: her butt is 3/4 of the way up the seatback, front legs splayed out slightly, head intently watching the road ahead; (2) reclining on the seat back, her butt on the seat cushion, reminding me of Cleopatra reclining on her royal barge; (3) Puff hops over the console to the rear and either sits up, watches, and back seat drives from there or (4) lies down and sleeps; or (5) hops back onto the front seat and tries to curl up on the seat cushion -- that was much more doable when we had our Honda Accord (wider car, wider seats) but it's a bit cramped in the Civic -- her head tries to find a spot amongst levers for emergency brakes, gear shifts, etc. My only choices in sitting are to slightly adjust the angle of my seat back.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
We have the Garmin Street Pilots and love them. My first one saved my butt in Kentucky when the highway was closed for several hours due to a fatal accident. That baby took me through some country back roads that were not on the maps that Bill and his co-workers could find, but it got me to his door without one error. For that one trip alone, it more than paid for itself and I will always use a Garmin product.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Oh for crying out loud. I really need to update myself. I thought a Garmin Nuvi was going to be a dog breed you and Puff had come across that I'd never heard of. Actually, I was thinking it sounded more like a lizard but couldn't figure out why you two would be traveling with a lizard.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Oh for crying out loud. I really need to update myself. I thought a Garmin Nuvi was going to be a dog breed you and Puff had come across that I'd never heard of. Actually, I was thinking it sounded more like a lizard but couldn't figure out why you two would be traveling with a lizard.
:rolleyes:
*giggle* ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts