Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jacey has earned more freedom in the house. She now can go into the kitchen as long as I can see her and she can run down the hall into the bathroom.
Now for my questions.

I don't always want them to come to me I want them out of a room or area and back into the room or place that I had them..
So my question is
I use "COME" for the dogs to get their little butts over to mme in front of my feet wait for my next command..
Can I teach/use "HERE" to mean stay in this room?? Or is their a better word I can/should use?

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
as long as you're consistent (one word always means the same one action) you can say whatever you like. There's no obedience word police just yet.... ;D

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
If I want the boys to be in one room, I'll say "here" or "go" and point. But then I close a baby gate behind them, so they really have no choice :D

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't mind that after shes older she roams the house (gotta have full trust first). But right now she has figure out there is water in the potty ::) . she runs as fast as she can down the hall back down back and then down again and theres a pause.... Then you hear lick lick lick lick SPLASH lick lick..
Because of my mom having MS and things can be a little hard for her to do the only baby gate we put up is the one to the kitchen..
I would shut the door to the bathroom but Maggie and Dakota have figured out how to push it just right and they can lift the lid on the potty ::) ::) . So I think we will work on HERE for in here and COME for get your butt over to me.. :)

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
We use OUT for a room we don't want them in...which is only 2- formal living room and dining room with wood floors. They have completely taken control of the rest of the house.

Aidan will NOT step into the rooms he is not allowed in. He will come to a comical screeching halt before one toe goes over into the forbidden zone. With Emma it's "what they dont see wont hurt them"...and she gets away with it when she can.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
HERE sounds an awful lot like HEEL to a dog. I use WITH ME when I want Wes in my general vicinity but not necessarily right at my feet looking up (that's FRONT, btw).

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
My dogs know the name of each of the rooms in the house, plus the command "out" and "into." If, for instance, I wanted them out of the kitchen and into the dinning room, I would say, "OUT kitchen! into diningroom," and they would leave the room they were in (kitchen in this case) and go to the room I was sending them too (dining room in this case). If I just say "OUT" they leave whatever room they are currently in.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
dweck said:
HERE sounds an awful lot like HEEL to a dog. I use WITH ME when I want Wes in my general vicinity but not necessarily right at my feet looking up (that's FRONT, btw).
FWIW, I use both "here" and "heel," and Theo discriminates pretty well. "Here" means "come toward me and target my hand unless I tell you to do something else before you get all the way here"; "come" means "come immediately and sit at front." I distinguish the terms for agility vs. obedience. In the park I tend to use "here," with "come" as an emergency cue (and "treat!" or "cheese!" as the backup, super-emergency cue).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts