Just Labradors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do you get dried liver treats? I have been using pupperoni treats for training but my dog's focuse is lost in class and I thought I would up the treat...I have heard great things about dried liver but can you buy it somewhere?

·
Registered
6,645 Posts

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Have you tried thinly-sliced hot dogs sprinkled with garlic and baked for half an hour? That's the standard at our house. The cheesy hot dogs are especially popular!

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Dan, I want to invent a hot dog slicer that slices the dog into dime-sized slices in one stroke. I will sell it on Animal Planet. :D

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I buy super cheap hot dogs and slice them then and nuke them on a paper plate.
I lay a paper towel on the paper plate, then the hot dogs, then another paper towel. Keep an eye on them or they will burn!!!!!!!!!!
Let them set out for a bit until cool but them in a freezer container and store in your fridge. Cheaper than liver treats and equally effective.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
I do the hot dogs too. Most of the time, treats are steak braised in garlic butter.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the suggestions...I have tried hot dogs before and they worked great until he grew tired of them or something. I have had a hard time finding something to motivate him in class because all he wants to do is go greet every dog. I had heard no dog can refuse dried liver so I will stop at petsmart tomorrow and see what they have.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
I can't beleive he get tired of treats Mocha doesn't care what I give her if I have anything edible in my hand I have her attention :)
I would try to keep something "Special" though for a high value treat for doing recall or other more difficult things.
Have you tried string cheese. mocha loves about any type of cheese but string cheese is easy for class because you can break off little peices.

G

·
I did the exact same thing. Every week at class I just bring some random store bought treat and give them a try. Last week I brought the pupperoni and he just lost all focus, then one of the other people in my class gave me some of those freeze dried liver treats and he fallowed my hand right through the crowd of puppies and people. It costed like 20 dollars a tub but there is quite a bit in there, and I only plan to use it for class or high distraction inviroments.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.