Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wyatt is food obsessed, plain and simple.
He FREAKS out when I am about to feed him..... spinning etc and eats his cup of food like a freaking maniac.

I have tried sitting with him and little bits of treats to train him to sit, paw, down etc but it's almost like he's so distracted by the food that he can't even pay attention to me!

Any ideas?

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
:laugh: Well that sure sounds like Angus.

He still really is only focused on the food when we are training. It makes him very easy to teach new things, because he always *really* wants a treat. But it also makes it hard to transition away from so many treats. Or it's hard for me, anyway. Kevin complains that I give him way too many treats when we're training. :whistle:

How about putting the treats somewhere they are not visible - in a pocket, bait bag, etc. - and only when he does the behavior correctly do the treats appear?

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Mocha's the same way and it doens't help to hide the treats because her nose is so good she can tell I have them from 5' away even if she didn't see me put them in my pocket :crazy:
It is nice because she learns quick but it's just hard to get her to do things if she knows I don't have any treats. And beleive me she NOSE...lol

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Raises hand - very treat oriented dog here too! "next time" I will train differently - not sure how yet, but definitely wean the treats sooner. Emilu will do anything and can learn anything for treats. I kind of traded talking to her for treats and we get through Rally pretty well, but in Obedience, where I can't really talk all the much and don't have any treats - forget it - she really can't function. I know that you were talking more about food in general. Is he actually getting enough to eat? What kind of food are you feeding. Some of the cheaper foods don't fill them up as much, even though you feed them more of it. My niece trained her lunky lab to sit and wait till she gave him the command to eat - and he is very excited about his food. Now she can tell him to wait, and even walk away for a few minutes and he sits there drooling and watching her and his bowl, but he doesn't touch it until she says OK. Try training with just praise and maybe a toy or something for now. How old is your dog? Even a very excited dog can learn to quiet down and sit until he gets his treat. Good luck.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
"When life rains lemons, make lemonade"

You might hook this up to the training by using NILIF training techniques (Nothing in Life is Free). You can Google it for more instructions.

Briefly in NILIF training, your dog earns each bite of food (a few kibbles) by obeying a command (sit, down, stay, come, etc.).

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
Judy and Bruno, especially Bruno eat a meal in one or two swallow so I feed both of them on large cookie sheet pans with food spread out. Bruno would jump into his pan as I put it down, spilling kibble everywhere. He does know a solid "leave it" so When I put it down, I say "leave it" and he does until I give the "OK".

·
Registered
371 Posts
Does he like toys or balls? I LOVE dogs that will train for a toy reinforcer.

Also, is it every type of treat? What about a piece of kibble...or a cheerio - relatively low value treats.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I know the pup is still too young but what I do with my dogs is the following:

I started clicker training for stay and down until they got it.

Now if they want to eat they have to stay in the down position while I serve their dishes, and afterwards until I release them they get their food.

Homer is very unpatient and this teaches him that patience and being calm will eventually get him to his food faster.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I too was going to recommend clicker training, although I use a "marker word" (yes) instead of an actual clicker. Using his food dish to teach wait and eventually stay is also a good idea. You can also use his crate to teach those things. He young yet and should grow out of the nerotic way he obsesses about food...his realatives did ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts