Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are times that the 'intelligent' stoplights just piss me off.

I was stopped at a stoplight this morning on a 4 lane road behind a line of 6 cars and the light turned yellow before I got to the intersection. There were no cars in the other lane so the 'smart' sensors must have decided to have a short green light duration. Heh, both me and the vehicle behind me blew through and we were lucky that no officer was around.

There's another intersection in my city where if you don't get to the sensor in the left turn lane within a specific timeframe - like when the cross traffic light is still green, and there's no one in the right go-straight lane, it will decide that no one is there and will stay red on your turn. Which means that the oncoming light will turn green but you will not have a corresponding green light. Somebody screwed up the programming on that one.

And why is it that someone will be driving in the left lane on an interstate highway and as soon as they approach a vehicle in the right lane, they slow down to 1 mile an hour above that vehicle's speed to pass? Or they slow down to that vehicle's exact speed for 10 miles before passing? Aaargh!

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
My favorite is the person that slams on their brakes and comes to a complete stop at a yellow.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts

And why is it that someone will be driving in the left lane on an interstate highway and as soon as they approach a vehicle in the right lane, they slow down to 1 mile an hour above that vehicle's speed to pass? Or they slow down to that vehicle's exact speed for 10 miles before passing? Aaargh!
This one pisses me and others off also. I have come up with three reasons for this.

(1) Driver does this unconsciously. The other car just seems to become the pace setter and the driver in the left lane just'travels with the traffic'. Innocent enough, but inattentive.
(2) Happens more when the vehicle in the right lane is a truck, or heaven forbid a semi. The driver in the left lane is truly afraid of the big vehicle, is afraid to move alongside and past. This driver should not be allowed on the road in any lane but the right lane, if that. My MIL falls into this category and it drives me nuts.
(3) Self appointed traffic control officer. Decides that he/she will prevent you from speeding and position him/herself so that you can't get by. Candidate for roadrage incident.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I drive with in the 5 buroughs of NYC almost everyday. Sometimes it's driving sometimes it is more like parking on a road with 2 million strangers

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
You always get that one person who won't pull up enough to trigger the light to change!
This is the worst...seriously...lightning will not strike you if you pull up to the **** line! HINT--that is what the line is for!!!! People that don't pull up or leave huge gaps between the car in front of them drive me crazy.

People with Sunday driver syndrome drive me crazy, too...seems like I always end up behind someone going 60 in a 65 in the LEFT lane...that is road rage right there. And then sometimes they get so pissed off when you pass them on the right.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
I hate the ones like the one Friday night, road is icy so you are driving 10 mph under the limit, so this person passed me on the right (right lane ended a few blocks up) at about 10-20 mph over the limit, then I had to run over the street light pole they knocked down when the spun out on the curve. Was glad I had a heavy pick-up and not a little car. Oh yeah, when I could pull over safely I called the law, cause knocking over a street light is against the law.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts