Just Labradors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Our dog had TPLO surgery a week and a half ago. Have any of your dogs had this done? I've been giving her all of the meds the vet gave us, her cone stays on and she has been confined to a small area so she stays off her legs as much as possible. She has massive swelling still and her incision site is now oozing a lot. She now has an open wound. I've taken her back three times in three days because we are concerned of infection and not healing. Been told "everything looks fine and will take time. This happens in about 20% of dogs. Just keeping putting ice/ heat on it". I'm calling again this morning because a second staple is coming out. Have any of you had any kind of experience like this? We are so livid right now. TIA

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all. Our dog had TPLO surgery a week and a half ago. Have any of your dogs had this done? I've been giving her all of the meds the vet gave us, her cone stays on and she has been confined to a small area so she stays off her legs as much as possible. She has massive swelling still and her incision site is now oozing a lot. She now has an open wound. I've taken her back three times in three days because we are concerned of infection and not healing. Been told "everything looks fine and will take time. This happens in about 20% of dogs. Just keeping putting ice/ heat on it". I'm calling again this morning because a second staple is coming out. Have any of you had any kind of experience like this? We are so livid right now. TIA
How is she now? It thankfully doesn't look infected from those pictures and the swelling is not unusual and due to gravity it will travel down the leg (our dog's leg did the same). The hole is concerning for dehiscence so it is good that you are being so proactive in taking her in. Looking forward to hearing any updates! On a side note, have you heard of the Assisi Loop? It was a game changer for us with our Seamus for several issues with swelling and an oozing wound!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How is she now? It thankfully doesn't look infected from those pictures and the swelling is not unusual and due to gravity it will travel down the leg (our dog's leg did the same). The hole is concerning for dehiscence so it is good that you are being so proactive in taking her in. Looking forward to hearing any updates! On a side note, have you heard of the Assisi Loop? It was a game changer for us with our Seamus for several issues with swelling and an oozing wound!
When we took her in the fourth day the surgeon put in a few stents that pulled the hole closed some but still left a small hole. Since he's done that, her swelling has dramatically gone down. I have not heard of the Assisi Loop but will be doing some research on it. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi- So sorry that you are going through this. We have had 2 different Labs that had the surgery. One had very bad swelling, and like you kept returning to the vet to have it checked out. After going through the hoop, it was discovered that Georgia had lyme disease. The surgery lowered her immunity, and her leg was like twice the size. The second lab all went normally. I would say trust your gut. Where did you have it done? Was it a place where you have alot of confidence?
Can you get a second opinion at an emergency clinic? It does not look right to me either, and I would be as disturbed as you are. Also, if it is ooozing that is not normal either. It could be an infection. Is your dog on any antibiotics? Sometimes they may need to switch antibiotics, and the best way to do that is to do a culture. Again, sorry for you guys

1 - 5 of 5 Posts