Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this in my work email:

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN SAN DIEGO HAS ISSUED A * TORNADO WARNING FOR... ORANGE COUNTY IN SOUTHWEST CALIFORNIA... THIS INCLUDES THE CITIES OF...SEAL BEACH...HUNTINGTON BEACH...WESTMINSTER...GARDEN GROVE...IRVINE...FULLERTON...COSTA MESA...ANAHEIM... * UNTIL 130 PM PST * AT 1237 PM PST... NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO 17 MILES SOUTHWEST OF HUNTINGTON BEACH...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 30 MPH. * THE TORNADO WILL BE NEAR... HUNTINGTON BEACH BY 110 PM PST... FOUNTAIN VALLEY... COSTA MESA... WESTMINSTER AND GARDEN GROVE BY 120 PM PST... SANTA ANA BY 125 PM PST... TUSTIN... TUSTIN FOOTHILLS... ORANGE AND 6 MILES NORTHWEST OF IRVINE BY 130 PM PST... PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... IN ADDITION TO THE TORNADO...THIS STORM IS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING THREE QUARTER TO ONE INCH HAIL AND DESTRUCTIVE STRAIGHT LINE WINDS. &&
I work in Irvine, so it might be here in 17 minutes?!?! I don't know what to do in a tornado. Earthquakes I can handle, but a tornado!

We're supposed to get up to 15 inches of rain by Thursday. It's so dark outside right now.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Go to an interior area of the building - a bathroom or hallway - where there are no windows. In school, we always sat on the floor with our heads bent down and our hands clasped behind our head. I've never done that as an adult. If it's really bad, at home, we'll just hang out in the bathroom.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I am in Santa Monica and it ws so dark here about 30 min ago. Better now, I can even see a little patch of sun.

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everyone in my office is worried but no one is leaving their desk. A coworker said a friend in Long Beach just emailed her a picture of a tornado passing through Long Beach (about 20 miles from me). It's a lot lighter outside than it was a half hour ago. It looked like it was about 5pm then and it was just after 1.

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It looks like the worst of it is past. I'm going to leave work a little early so I don't have to deal with rush hour. Southern Californians tend to freak out at rain, and traffic is a nightmare. It's "STORM WATCH 2010!!!" on all the news stations.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
A coworker said a friend in Long Beach just emailed her a picture of a tornado passing through Long Beach (about 20 miles from me).
Now that is what needs to be done, any chance you could get the picture and post it.:D

BTW be safe.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
I found a picture, looks small but like snakes, even small ones can be dangerous:

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Wow--I hope the tornado didn't materialize. It's dumping here in NorCal. too. Just unbelievable quantities of water coming from the sky, and it's supposed to get worse as the week goes on. Parts of the Sierra are expected to get more than 10 FEET of snow this week.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
In our house, i can't think of a room that has no window :( . Is inside the closet a good place to hide for tornado?
That's where we went in our tornado two years ago. Me, the boys, and all the animals inside of our bathroom closet! lol Crammed would be an understatement. :)

I hope the bad weather passes by without any damage/injuries.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
We always went to the basement, but I don't think those are common in SoCali.

Hope the damage is minimal and injuries slight. (It looks like a twister touched down and if it did damage is pretty much unavoidable).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts