Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Update4: 1:00 pm Sunday

We had a bit of a scare this morning as some of the storms got closer to us than they have all weekend. I can't find anything where they've F-rated it yet, but have been looking. Greensburg is just about an hour and a half from here, but this is still very real, as we go through it every time we go out west. I now have a "tornado" pack with my medicine, contacts, a fresh change of clothes, flashlight, purse/wallet etc, extra dog leashes, bottled water etc.

They have been collecting water, gatorade, snacks etc in Wichita to go out and have sent a couple of semi-trailer loads already from a local tv and radio station.

They are still planning on holding high school graduation and getting the kids to the scheduled athletic competitions left for the year to give them some normalcy. They're getting their faculty together a week from today to talk about the rest of the year, and the vaults in the schools (where records, grades transcripts etc) are still standing--they don't know if the documents inside are safe.

The rain is still coming and there are flood warnings everywhere, but our area has been fortunate to avoid most of the rain.

Thank you all for your prayers for the people over in Greensburg and for all of us in "Tornado Alley" (TX, Nebraska, OK, KS, etc).

Here's the link to the Wichita Eagle, the major newspaper in the region http://www.kansas.com/
---------------------------
Update: 9:30 am Sat Morning

Its all over CNN http://www.cnn.com/2007/WEATHER/05/05/severe.weather/index.html

7 dead and counting, and we are supposed to get more. I live within 150 miles of this area, and we're in the bullseye for more bad weather.

Both of the schools in Greensburg are gone, main street is apparently gone, the water tower is gone. . .

-----------
Sometimes I hate living in Kansas...mostly from April-Sept.

Greensburg Kansas just got hit big time by a tornado that they had been tracking on the ground for almost an hour, and it is still going. It took out an entire hotel and who knows what else, they're saying main street is wiped out, the water tower is not visible. No confirmed fatalities yet, but it doesn't look good with at least 5 critical injuries. Emergency crews from all over the region are headed out.

This sucker is still building :( I just pray no one has been killed.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Tornado just down the road

I don't think we've had one in recent history that has stayed on the ground this long. . . my area is out of the woods now, but it is bearing down on another small town.

They just interviewed a couple that owned the motel that blew away, they survived by going into a a closet. The news talked to them on a satellite phone and are arranging to contact their daughter who is away at college to let her know they are okay. . . no phones and so many people wandering around (literally) out of sorts and needing help.

I can't bring myself to turn off the tv, its like watching a train wreck :(

·
Registered
4,595 Posts

Oh gosh, stay safe. I hope everyone in its path is okay.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Significant damage in 3 cities so far and still moving :(

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Re: Tornado just down the road (update 2 at top)

It was a monster, alright. Anyone heard from Bob Pr? I asked in L/C... he doesn't come in here too often. :(

·
Registered
10,007 Posts

He should be fine, I checked his profile and he's in Topeka about 250 miles north-east of the area that got hit.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Update 3:

Bob's in Topeka. I think I'm the only in SC Kansas.

9 fatalities. They're saying 95% of the town is gone. . poof. A friend went to help out (paramedic/cop) and couldn't begin to describe it. He said he wouldn't be suprised if they didn't discover twice as many fatalaties by the end of the weekend.

Tonights storms are following the same path as last night's. . . Mother Nature has been relentless to our state this year. . first the April snow/wheat crop loss and now death and destruction on a human level.

I bought a weather radio and two extra flashlights today. . .

·
Registered
500 Posts
Re: Tornado just down the road (update 3 in thread)

I'm glad you are safe. What a devastating sight to see on TV. I know I'll be donating some money to help rebuild!

But on a personal note, if you need ANYTHING that you can't get, please let me know and I will be more than happy to send it out to you! Please, don't hesitate to ask.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts

Oh my goodness! I heard about this yesterday. I actually missed it on the news, as I was painting and outside all day, but my dad was telling me one of his former Air Force buddies lives in that town. :-[ I sure hope he's OK.

I'm so glad you're alright. We had a tornado here in 1998. It's the only one I remember in my 40+ years. It did quite a lot of damage downtown. I think tornadoes are one of the scariest things.

What was this one's F-rating?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts

i'll continue to pray for your continued safety. i saw on the weather channel that that area still has another rounds of these storms for today. they said the one last night was over a mile wide and that the warning was given atleast 20 minutes a head of time or there would have been more fatalities. even the basements offered little safety because the houses fell inward in some instances and some families had to literally crawl their way out. most were rushed to hospitals about 100 miles away. i hope you all continue to stay safe and hope these storms end soon.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts

Updates? Are you okay today?

·
0 Posts

How devastating. I'm glad you are safe!!

·
Registered
4,144 Posts

I just saw this now, please stay safe, and we'll be praying for that weather to end and for the folks in that hard-hit town. :(

·
Registered
10,007 Posts

They skipped all around us yesterday, 75 confirmed touch downs in TX, OK, KS, NE and SD, 40 of them between 6pm and 9pm CDT. Just skirted a nasty TS on the way home, only had curb deep water, in the center it floated cars. Salt Creek that runs through west Lincoln is at the natural bank and only the levee's are keeping it in and a lot of the water ain't to Lincoln yet and more today is coming.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts

Oh dear! Everybody stay as safe as you can. What horrible weather. :( This is why Gran and Gramps left Missouri, which, ironically, sounds like the only state that didn't get hit.

B

·
0 Posts
Emyly, you doing ok today? You didn't get anymore twisters last night? We're getting hammered with rain here in KC. It's flooding all over the place.

Paging Noah...Paging Noah...we need an Ark. Stat.

In all seriousness, I hope everyone in the path of this beast of a storm stays safe and this thing goes away.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts