Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a Topper?

A topper is a person who no matter WHAT your'e sharing with them, they have done it before you and better than you. If youre going somewhere? They were there first, stayed longer and at a better hotel, If youre sick? They had the illness before you did and it was 5 times worst than your case. If it's about your children, their kids performed said task at a much earlier age and won awards for it. If youre buying new furniture, they got a better brand than you did, 30% cheaper.

No matter what life experiences you will ever have...Toppers will have it bigger, better, longer and more than you will. No matter what.
You cannot top a topper! It's not possible. Nor will you ever be given credit for anything because they have "been there done that" way before you have.

Know anyone like this? Don't you just want to smack them?

Ever met someone like this?

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I saw a skit about this topic recently...but I can't remember where. SNL maybe?

To answer your questions, no...I don't think so.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Brother-in-law. When we buy a big-ticket item, he will harangue us into getting some notion of what we paid. I was raised that these questions were improper; therefore, I seldom answer them, but he's like the Chinese Water Torture ask-ask-asking, and he won't let up until he's got a good idea of the neighborhood of the figure we laid out.

And then he'll berate us that we overpaid.

No matter what kind of sale we got, we were stupid, for had we checked THIS store or waited for THAT sale -- like he did -- we'd've made out better.

::) ::) ::) ::)

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
dweck said:
Brother-in-law. When we buy a big-ticket item, he will harangue us into getting some notion of what we paid. I was raised that these questions were improper; therefore, I seldom answer them, but he's like the Chinese Water Torture ask-ask-asking, and he won't let up until he's got a good idea of the neighborhood of the figure we laid out.

No matter what kind of sale we got, we were stupid, for had we checked THIS store or waited for THAT sale -- like he did -- we'd've made out better.

You think THAT'S bad?!?!?!?

I have THREE brothers and they ALL CONSTATNLY harass me to find out what I paid for every little thing. Sometimes they go through my trash looking for receipts just so they can show me up. I also have two cousins, a father in law, and a sister who hold weekly meetings to compare how they do better than me. My youngest sister will call me at three o'clock in the morning to brag about the deal she got on flip flops.

HAHAH Sorry, couldn't help one-upping you. ;D

P

·
0 Posts
Yup.....one sticks out right now......my boss.......good grief, all the stuff he has done in his life?!?!?! He needs to write a book.....oh wait, I think he already did......ROFL

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Momma to J and A said:
dweck said:

You think THAT'S bad?!?!?!?

I have THREE brothers and they ALL CONSTATNLY harass me to find out what I paid for every little thing. Sometimes they go through my trash looking for receipts just so they can show me up. I also have two cousins, a father in law, and a sister who hold weekly meetings to compare how they do better than me. My youngest sister will call me at three o'clock in the morning to brag about the deal she got on flip flops.

HAHAH Sorry, couldn't help one-upping you. ;D
No one laughed at my joke! Laugh, **** you, laugh!

J

·
0 Posts
I think this is one of the most annoying traits a person can have. You can't even tell a story without hearing about their brother's girlfriends cousin having the same thing happen to them. And god forbid you buy something nice. The next day they one up ya with something even nicer. ::)

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I met a guy once I thought was a topper. He did everything,knew everyone and was accomplished in many sports and endeavors. Son of a beach, it was true! This guy did skydive,spelunk, climb mountains, ski avalanches, minister to the poor and was a decorated chopper pilot in Vietnam. I didn't find out until after he had passed. His lifes achievements were on display at his mom's house after the wake.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
dweck said:
I got it and laughed three chuckles.

And then Nathan PMmed me and said that he gave it four! ;D
Well, if you and Nathan both laughed, I feel COMPLETELY validated! *phew*

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
One of my friends from high school is this way. Her life is fabulous, her house is way better than anyone's and so are her job and her husband, etc., etc. After she visits SU asks me why I'm still her friend and sometimes I wonder, too. I can only see her in small doses because it wears on me.

One of my friends who has a small kid and lives in an affluent area complains that lots of the other soccer moms are toppers and ultra-competitive with their kids' accomplishments. Drives her crazy.

Just out of curiosity: what prompted you to post this, Susan? You dealing with a topper?

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh yesssss....The King of ALL Toppers. ::)

Darn it, my son reads this forum so I can't rag on this person) ::) He likes this Topper and I want him to come to his own conclusions and not poison his impression with my opinion.

R

·
0 Posts
All 4 of my SIL do this to each other, I keep quite and laugh to myself. I know most of it is BS, but it's funny to hear them go on, and on, and on about how thier kids did this and that. The best is when the kids are actually listening and they tell thiers mom, I didn't do that, that was so and so that said they did that. I'm probably sitting there with a smirk on my face the entire time. Toppers, that's a good one I call it "one upping".

:)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts