Just Labradors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
How is Dee? Hope she is feeling better.
She seems to be feeling much better thanks Hark, and trying to make up for those two meals she missed last week LOL. Up until yesterday she wasn't even paying any attention to the antibiotic tablets I was dropping into her food, but I guess I'm going to have to wrap them in something wonderful to get them down. They have quite a distinct smell, so I was surprised she didn't seem to notice them for the first couple of days. Her mouth/jaw still seems sore, so because of that it's not at all easy to open it and get a pill in. I usually just put a bit of something tasty and slippery on and down they go. Thanks for asking. :)

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad to hear she is on the road to recovery....eating...that is a good thing!! :)

We like to put the pills in philly cream cheese. It is the perfect consistency and Guthrie loves it.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Hark and Justine,

I shoved each of the pieces of pill into a small piece of chicken and then put a bit of peanut butter on the outside. That seemed to do the trick. Regular cheese didn't work, but cream cheese might. She's very good at getting the food off without swallowing the pill. I think the peanut butter makes it too sticky to spit out. :) I have a feeling I saw those pill pockets in my Vet's office.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Hark and Justine,

I shoved each of the pieces of pill into a small piece of chicken and then put a bit of peanut butter on the outside. That seemed to do the trick. Regular cheese didn't work, but cream cheese might. She's very good at getting the food off without swallowing the pill. I think the peanut butter makes it too sticky to spit out. :) I have a feeling I saw those pill pockets in my Vet's office.
With Indy on antibiotics for FOUR weeks, he figured out EVERYTHING darn thing I put them in... They have a bitter taste (from what I could tell from his reaction)... Fig Newtons worked the best for us...Now the crazy hound wants them all the time...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
With Indy on antibiotics for FOUR weeks, he figured out EVERYTHING darn thing I put them in... They have a bitter taste (from what I could tell from his reaction)... Fig Newtons worked the best for us...Now the crazy hound wants them all the time...:rolleyes:
They definitely have a very peculiar and strong odor. This morning I took Hark's suggestion of cream cheese. I squished some regular cheese over the pill and then coated the outside with cream cheese. It went down with no hesitation. :) Hope it works again with the evening dose. Thankfully she doesn't seem to mind the taste of the Metacam at all. It just goes on top of her food and no problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts