Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to purchase a tonneau cover for our truck, and I'm clueless. Their are alot of different styles, and brands. Anyone have one? Any recommendations?

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I had looked at those, but decided on a camper shell instead, and I'm glad I did. I haul hay and feed. I can get much more in a camper shell :)

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
Karen - have a hard shell tonneau - "Jason" brand - love it...the tambour ones (roll up) often mess up...soft canvas/vinyl rips...however, if I had to do it again, I'd get one that hinges somewhere midpoint (I've seen 'em not sure what to call it) so that I could get high or bulky things in without having to remove or strap down the hard tonneau. (Was that any help?)

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
We decided against a tonneau cover for our 2001 Silverado. I like that the back is open, and have never felt that I needed one. Not sure what the benefit is... ???

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jan said:
We decided against a tonneau cover for our 2001 Silverado. I like that the back is open, and have never felt that I needed one. Not sure what the benefit is... ???
They increase your gas mileage by reducing wind resistance, weather protection for what your hauling, keeps snow and rain out of the bed, plus i like the look.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Champs Mom said:
They increase your gas mileage by reducing wind resistance, weather protection for what your hauling, keeps snow and rain out of the bed, plus i like the look.
Oh! Well, I'm mostly hauling branches, woodchips, soil, & the odd load to the dump, which works better uncovered. I could use the improved gas mileage though :p

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
karen - I have a vinyl cover that uses snaps
got it from a guy on eb ay that runs a store in FL
if I can find the link for you - I'll send it over

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
k...thanks Claire. I've heard some of the vinyl covers are a ***** in the winter because they shrink in the cold weather, and are hard to get snapped.

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
yeah.. stay away from the snaps if you can.. they can be a serious pain in the ass for that very reason.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
claire said:
hmmm - it is a ***** to get the cover stretched to the snaps when its cold out

I moved south where there's not much of a winter!! :p
Ya, your good to go. You got out of the cold weather. No need to rub it in though...lol
Someday I'll be in warm weather.

C

·
0 Posts
I had an Access cover on my Tacoma.
http://www.accesscover.net/
It fastened with velcro like stuff rather than snaps so it was still easy to fasten in the winter. And the side rails clamped onto the truck so no holes to drill and it was also easy to remove the whole thing when I wanted to put my truck cap on. The cover was still in good condition after eight years of northern Minnesota winters when I traded my truck in.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
We have one on the Silverado. It's a hard cover that slides up like an accordian if that makes sense. Another reason besides protecting the stuff you are carryinmg from the elements is you can lock it. Don't try a do it yourself installation. SU did and it took him and 3 other guys to do it. Pay for it, it's worth it.

I've heard some of the vinyl covers are a ***** in the winter because they shrink in the cold weather, and are hard to get snapped.
You will never get it snapped again in the winter.

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
Champs Mom said:
Mine is similar to "trail fx" but I'd get one hinged in the middle...where you can open it all as shown, or open and fold over 1/2...did that make sense?

As for vinyl, cold is right - then vinyl can shrink in sun - so, Claire, you might not be off the hook totally!

I'd like to see the accordian one Pam is talking about - think that's how I'd go if I could!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts