Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not me of course, the dogs. Since we've moved the dogs have been drinking out of the downstairs bathroom toilet. It is convenient for them after they are walked I guess. This only happened a couple of times at our other place. I only use bleach in the bowl when I clean them and make sure they are rinsed good. If we use that bathroom could there be any bacteria that lingers there that could harm them?

F

·
0 Posts
I'am glad you didnt knew where Laika some times drink her water! ;D

But toilet water is just regular water ;)

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
ginger discovered it one day and i let her drink from it for a while. but i now put down the lids because she was leaving a long trail of water everywhere. so now she drinks out her bowls where she licks her lips before moving on.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I do not let the dogs drink out of the toilet. Bathroom doors are closed and seats are down. I just don't need to mop up any more water from the bathroom. They have a big bowl with a 5 gallon tank on it.

M

·
0 Posts
I keep my bathroom door closed. Before, not only did Merlot drink out of the toilet and drool all over the floor, but he would grab the end of the toilet paper and run through the whole house & TP the living room, around the kitchen chairs, lamp tables, etc.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
You know, I'll tell you something that I think is kind of interesting/curious.

Ours were very big on trying to drink out of the downstairs toilet, too. Then I got this really big stainless steel bucket. I bought it from a restaurant supply company, so it is good quality stainless. It's actually supposed to be a restaurant mixing bowl, I think. It's about two gallons, I guess. I fill it with filtered water every day.

Ever since I have been doing this, they never try to drink out of the toilet anymore. ??? Not sure if it's the filtered water, or the good stainless, or having a water source that is a bit higher/elevated, but it is so curious to me that the behavior just stopped when we started using this bucket.

FWIW!

I wouldn't worry as much about bacteria in the toilet as I would cleaning products. But either way, I always discouraged it when I caught them. ;)

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Mine do occassionally, when they join me.........but as I choose NOT to mop up the bathroom floor, plus the kitchen floor and everywhere in between, and do NOT want to clean up toilet paper from the floors because they decide for the first time it would be a good toy, nor do I want to sit on a wet toilet seat unknowingly, the door stays closed at all times.......................

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I don't like my girls drinking from the toilet. We have enough to clean. I feed and water them in the same spot and like to keep it that way. I don't think it's a sanitary issue considering what labs are known to eat. :p

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Mine haven't tried it..... I keep the lid down..... we used to have a Russian Wolfhound, and he learned how to raise the lid and seat UP ! If the lid was shut he would life the seat and all up.... sometimes the seat would come back down and the lid would stay up and he would drink and then dribble water all over the seat , the floor, and leave a trail of water thru the bathroom.... I hated that mess.... and I wasn't really keen on him drinking out of it anyhow...... we use a big huge galvanized bucket for the indoor water needs..... they seem to be happy with that.

Melissa
:)

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
I'm always after the kids to keep the lid down so they don't drink out of the toilet. Because if the lid is up, they both will do it and make a mess. Plus just like most of you im worried about chemicals from cleaning.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I'd like to add my 2 cents from the boarding perspective. Sometimes my pups come to me to board when the owners are on vacation. One in particular had that nasty habit of drinking from the toilet...... Mind you I do not use chemicals in my toilet but know many folks who do!!! This dog goes to other homes as well, and it's just not a SAFE thing to allow your dog to do. Never assume all toilets will be chemical free.
-Anne

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I keep the lid down because I don't like the idea. I'm one of those who has trouble putting their hand in the tank if something is stuck, even tho I KNOW it's just water!

Frances

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Tal will occasionally but since he is usually with me or on the couch when we are home together, I am able to catch him. I have started putting the lid down tho.

·
Registered
66 Posts
we don't allow it...the bathroom door is closed...webster has a perfectly lovely water dish from which to drink from...we just consider it bad manners for our dog.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks everyone, I am planning on getting them a bucket to put in that bathroom because their other water is upstairs and they like having some on each level as is evident from their new water selection :)

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
Our lids on all three toilets are up, Zoe has never expressed any interest in drinking from the bowl.

She knows exactly where her water is....

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Bess used to and it provided a motivation to keep the bowl clean.

Puff occasionally looks in the toilet bowl but has never shown the slightest inclination to drinking from it.

·
Registered
459 Posts
If we leave the lid up..... it's fair game for Zakk to get a drink (not that we like it or really allow it). I put the lid down but Zakks_Mommy has a difficult time remembering to put it down (I'm running and ducking in case she reads this ;)). In fact, if Zakk hears the water running from a faucet, he runs in and countersurfs to get a drink of water :mad:. We are trying to break the habit before it really gets bad.

I think the biggest thing is that it is fresh water... I can re-fill his bowl with cool water from his water pitcher from the fridge (filtered none the less) and he drinks like there's no tomorrow. Let it sit for a while and he won't drink as much. Spoiled dog ;D!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts