Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.woot.com/

I've never heard of that brand before, but that price is AWESOME!!! We wanted a wireless network adapter to go with a router for the beach this summer so my brother and I can use our laptops at the same time. Whaddya think? Should I woot it? The ultimate would be if they have a router sometime between now and mid may lol

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know much 'bout puters (lol), but to the best of my knowledge the adapter is for added speed...then again I'm the one who posted to ask what it is lol

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Is that a good deal? It is a good brand?

I don't know anything about the computer stuff, but I'll suspect we'll need a router and wireless adapter in the new house.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
I dunno...the cheapest route we've ever bought was around $70. Right now, we have a wireless router that maximizes the connection speed, and it was like $175.

I have no clue what this thing does...lol

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
This is what my dh had to say when I asked him:

It's a USB wireless adapter, for adding wireless capabilities to desktop computers, similar to the one I have for Tivo.

Answer when asked if it speeds up internet connection: It does claim to do that, although I'm skeptical

besides, unless this person is transferring files between computers on the internal network, an 802.11G network is 54Mbps, much faster than a cable or dsl speed of around 3Mbps, so the bottleneck is always the internet connection, not the wireless connection.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
??? ??? Ha, I'm STILL confused. :-[ Is this what I would need to connect to the internet on my laptop in a different room in the house? We have cable internet in one room. Sorry for not understanding! :-[

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tell your DH I said thanks Aim :)

We have Comcast internet down there and it's typically zippy fast (lol) although it likes to have connection problems every now and then.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
liveelayne said:
??? ??? Ha, I'm STILL confused. :-[ Is this what I would need to connect to the internet on my laptop in a different room in the house? We have cable internet in one room. Sorry for not understanding! :-[
I'm thinking not. For that, you'd use a Wireless router. Which are fairly inexpensive, not $20, but my mom got one at Walmart for like $30 or $40 and it has worked as well as our expensive one, which really ticks my husband off. LOL. I'd ask my dh again, but he's in a meeting.

Does your laptop have an internal wireless card? If so, you just need to buy a wireless router. If it doesn't, you need to buy the wireless router AND the wireless adapter card, which would go into a slot in your laptop.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts