Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday Bill had the full-body PET scan, the results of which we will learn on Monday. Today he will have the port implanted in his chest for the chemo, which should start a week from today.

However, there is a research program that wants Bill to participate in a group study. The meds are designed to work with and enhance the chemo he will be getting. He is going to ask the oncologist about it Monday before he gives them an answer. If she agrees and feels it would be beneficial, then we may have to wait another week before chemo starts. They will have to send a sample of the biopsy away to be tested for a certain gene; if he has the gene, they can't use him because the meds will not work for him.

We're hoping they can use him in the study.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Good thoughts for both you ((hugs))

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Sending you and Bill good thoughts. (Note on the port: it should have a cap or something that you keep on it. Try not to lose it. My MIL lost hers and the doctors were very upset with her.)

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I have been going through this for almost 7 years with my dad...I KNOW what you are going through...my thoughts are with you...while everyone knows the patient has a difficult fight, I know the caretaker has an equally difficult road...just a different path...I wish you both the best!

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
Keeping you both in prayer. My MIL had a port for several years and it was well worth having done.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Good luck. My Mom had a Power Port and it didn't have a cap. It was like a little disk under her skin. It will make it much easier on Bill with the chemo and all of the blood draws they do. Is this a clinical trial or a study? There is a big difference and clinical trial is most often after they have done chemo.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good luck. My Mom had a Power Port and it didn't have a cap. It was like a little disk under her skin. It will make it much easier on Bill with the chemo and all of the blood draws they do. Is this a clinical trial or a study? There is a big difference and clinical trial is most often after they have done chemo.
Bill's is a disk under the skin, no cap. This is a group study just prior to the meds being put to the FDA for release for general use. They are using them on 3,000 people with colon cancer, and the meds enhance the chemo. They are given as an assist to the chemo treatments.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
The new ports are great- so much easier for the pts. and medical team. Lots of good thoughts coming your way!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts