Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the happy, feel good story that everyone is hearing on the local news today.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/11553204/detail.html

I agreed to take in 5 lab pups that where listed on the NC. shelters website when I heard the Lady's where headed south. I should have known better when I called the shelter myself to get some info on the pups. I ask how many there where, the answer from the shelter worker was "I don't know". I ask how old they where, answer "I don't know". I ask how long they had been there, answer "I don't know". Have they been wormed or vaccinated? They knew the answer to that one......NO!

I should have known better.

Just like the two ladies that brought all those dogs back, the little faces haunted me and I said I would take them still. The trip was a disaster. The ladies where 6 hours late getting started on the way home because they sat at the shelter with a dog that ended up dieing in their arms of starvation. They had dogs that where crated together fighting on the way home so they stopped and bought more crates. They got lost. They stopped to change bedding in the crates. The 10 hour trip pushed on to over 24 hours with these poor dogs locked in crates the entire time. I can only imagine the smell.

My litter of five ended up only being three because 2 had gotten adopted.

I finally got to see my pups last night around midnight when I got home from doing my own transport. They did not look to good. They where smelly, covered in feces, stressed and horribly shy. I tried to make them comfortable in my quaranteen room and headed for bed. I was up at 7 to go have a closer look at them. As soon as I opened the door I feared the worst. Anyone who has been around rescue or shelter knows that smell right away. I went in and had a look at the pups, and one was obviously in very bad shape. I went back out and called the vet to let them know I would be there when they opened. I got the IV's out and ready, the antibiotics, the newspaper and towels at the ready.

At the vets we drew blood and a fecal sample for testing. Eight minutes later my worst fears where confirmed, PARVO. The blood test also showed Heartworm positive. Two of the pups also had ringworm.

These where beautiful pups that had probably never seen a kind hand in their lives. They where shy and feared everyone that came near them. I hate the people that dumped them at the pound where they would have been sent to the gas chamber on Easter Saturday. I hate the pound with its minimum wage workers, who are untrained and have seen so many dogs come through that they don't even care anymore. I hate the gas chamber that kills hundreds of dogs there each month. I hate the people that live in that community for paying taxes to support a place like that. I hate the people of that community for not knowing they support a place like that. I hate myself for knowing there was noting that I could do to save these little souls.

The vets office was busy this morning, so I had to wait for clients with appointments to be seen before we could do anything for the pups. That was alright though, because through the tears I gave those puppies the best hour they probably ever had in their short lives. I petted them and told each one what a special little labby they where while tears dripped on their heads. I comforted them. I held the little one as he fought his way through a seizure that left him too weak to even lift his head. And finally I cradled each one of them as the needle went in and I felt their hearts fade and stop.

Yes, I hate everyone in the world today. I sure hope and pray tomorrow is better.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Tomorrow will be better. And those pups' TODAY was better because of you. You give so much hope to so many dogs, I will say a prayer just for you today.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Atleast those pups were loved for ONE hour of their short little lives....... It makes me too, very angry that this goes on and on...... that sweet innocent animals are dealt such a shitty hand in life....... and the reason being, ...... humans......... it is all the fault of humans.......... a very sad ending for these babies..... but atleast they didn't suffer on and on....... atleast someone who cared enough, got them out of that hell hole and into the loving and careing hands that made sure they would not suffer any more.....

Melissa
:'(

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Tear here ... for the poor pups and for you. I don't know how you to it Joe.

Run free pups :angel: :angel: :angel:

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
That is so sad I can't even find words. :'( :'( :'(

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Joe. :'( I am so sorry. How can this happen in the civilized world?

I share your tears.

You tried, so hard. It just doesn't seem fair.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
:'( you are in my thoughts, what a wonderful and difficult thing you do- run free sweet pups :angel:

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Joe you do such a wonderful thing I can only imagine how a day like this hurts. I'm sorry the liitle ones did not make it but you gave them a chance they may never have had had it not have been for you.

Godspeed little ones

·
Registered
549 Posts
How do you control your emotions? I am in tears as I am reading this. God bless you for the time you gave to these pups and your courage to do so knowing their fate
Pat

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Oh h*ll..I didn't read the last few lines..couldn't they have been saved Joe? Or were they that far gone..cripes..I'm soooooooo **** sorry.....big hug to you for trying to save them tho...
Jackie

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The vets office was busy this morning, so I had to wait for clients with appointments to be seen before we could do anything for the pups. That was alright though, because through the tears I gave those puppies the best hour they probably ever had in their short lives. I petted them and told each one what a special little labby they where while tears dripped on their heads. I comforted them. I held the little one as he fought his way through a seizure that left him too weak to even lift his head. And finally I cradled each one of them as the needle went in and I felt their hearts fade and stop.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
North Carolina has them..that's where the pups were from..we had a big bruhaha a few months ago..over the gassing and how inhumanely they do it..according to some animal protection groups down here. I told my husband if we ever hit the lottery..I'm buying a huge piece of property in the boonies..and starting a shelter..a NO KILL shelter..I'll use all the money to keep it up and running..and hopefully get some donations or time donated..to help. I HATE even thinking about all the beautiful animals that get put down every single **** day.
Jackie :'(

awww that sucks i hope everything gets better. wow they have the gas chamber for dogs where you live thats horriable

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mischasmom said:
How do you control your emotions? I am in tears as I am reading this.
Pat
I don't. I cry like a baby, just as I am doing right now. I used to try to hold it back, but I see so many things that it just is not possible. So I cry, and probably again tomorrow.

Jackie, they where too far gone and had too many complications.

I will come volunteer at your no kill shelter!

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Like the others have said, I don't know how you can keep going on being front and center on witnessing cruelty, carelessness and complete sadness. So heartbreaking to read, I couldn't finish.
Thank you Joe for being a strong brave caregiver for these poor souls.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I see Joe..my heart breaks along with yours..poor wee ones!!!! You got it tho..I'll look you up if we get the money and can do this..that would be my contribution to the animal world..save some of them..can't save them all..but I'll die trying.
Jackie

Joe Maringo said:
Mischasmom said:
How do you control your emotions? I am in tears as I am reading this.
Pat
I don't. I cry like a baby, just as I am doing right now. I used to try to hold it back, but I see so many things that it just is not possible. So I cry, and probably again tomorrow.

Jackie, they where too far gone and had too many complications.

I will come volunteer at your no kill shelter!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts