Just Labradors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Toby, my friend's dog, has had really itchy, stinky ears full of junk. I've been watching him and have been cleaning his ears out daily but it hasn't seemed to help.

My friend came home this weekend and took Toby, so he went to the vet. Turns out he has an ear infection and the vet prescribed Gentizol and epi-otic.

Toby weighed in at 97 lbs today so the vet said that his food needs to be cut back, but that the increased exercise he's getting with me and Abbey will help, too. I am in the process of switching him to grain-free, which should be better for him altogether, too.

Has anyone else used either of the products above and had good/bad results?

TIA!

Justine

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello Justine,

Both of my labs have had ear infections. Although I can't say that I have used the products you have listed, my vet prescribed Neomycin and Pan-Otic and both worked really well. However, just a note, if Toby's ear is deeply infected, usually none of these kinds of products will work until the vet actually cleans out all of the gunk first. Good luck!

~Becky

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have used the epi-otic for Rudder - it turns out she was allergic to poultry and we went through a few months of stinky ear and that was one of the prescribed medications from our vet. She did also have a good cleaning of both of her ears when she was under when we had her spayed.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Yup my Kiana is also allergic to chicken! Makes her itch ALL over! SORRY back to the origiona question.... some of my fosters have come with those meds. I used them but always went back to the "purple stuff". Seemed to have better & more successful results. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts