Just Labradors banner

Toby in the round pen today

659 views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  labby 
#1 ·
I didn't get on his back since he was a bit spooky from the high gusts of wind, so I just worked him in the round pen today. His attitude has really changed since we started working in the pen.

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
He couldn't understand why I wasn't in the pen with him after our work. They tend to follow you around afterwards

Have you not seen your countryman Monty Roberts doing join up in a round pen ?

Incredible way to bond with your horse !

I saw him live a couple of years ago here in Kent ! Very impressive.

http://www.montyroberts.com/index_images/videopromo.gif

#9 ·
Explain? You work him from outside the pen? Or leave the pen when the exercise is complete? :confused:

Inside the pen Nance !

It's a method used to "break in " or "bond" horses

Very basically , you chase them round the pen - Laura says with a whip but you can easily use the lunge line ! If you throw it at their back legs then they take off ! You are supposed to avoid eye contact, and as Laura says after they begin to tire they appear to become submissive and will eventually "join up" with you i'e follow you around and be generally submissive. The obvious sign is when they drop their heads and lick their lips. It's a kind way of bonding.

That's the easy version but it really works ! Amazing.

#7 ·
I've not seen him in person Colin, but that's about what I do with Toby. I drive him until I see the chewing motion with his mouth and see him watching me out of the corner of his eye.

The first day, egads! It took him forever. Both of us were in a sweat. He'd stop and I'd have to touch him with the whip to get him going again. He learned he doesn't stop until I tell him to.

He didn't want to turn and I almost had to literally get in front of him and wave the whip in his face. Now I just hold out my arm and raise the whip and he turns on a dime.

In the beginning I had to turn my back and sorta back up to him since he still didn't want to "join up". Now I can drop the whip when I tell him to whoa and he will come and follow me all over the pen.

It's been remarkable.

#17 ·
I wasn't sure it was worth it the first day. That was the "Alpo" day and I wanted to kill him and sell him for dog food. I literally had to drop the dressage crop I was carrying because I wanted nothing more than to beat the living **** out of him.

I stripped off the tack after riding him in the round pen and drove him unmercifully. Then he kicked his heels at me when I asked him to turn and boy did he get it! Instead of the calm talking that I usually do with him, I was shouting at him.

That's when I told him he was only a partial red head and he was about to find out what being one pissed off full red head was like. He ended up slipping and falling while loping (cantering) and made him get up and trot (I was checking to make sure he wasn't hurt). He wasn't so I made him continue. Every few strides I made him turn in the opposite direction.

I told him since he had so much energy to balk and act like a butthead and kick his heels at me, he could keep going until it was gone. He would pretend to submit and I'd stop and approach and he'd throw up his head at me. So off he'd go again. He finally submitted for real and I gave him the chance to come to me, which he did.

I didn't realize Bonnie was standing near the main garage and watching until I heard her yell, "well done." She always thought I was too soft with him. I sure wasn't that day. I was royally pissed off and he paid for it.

He's been much better since then but we're still working on his being a bit spooky going down one part of the street, which is why I've been taking him for walks down that way on foot. I might pony him with Dot and see how he does before I take him down that way while on his back.

I have to remember he's just 6, which is a baby. I prolly shouldn't have gotten such a green horse, but what can you do when it's dropped in your lap the way he was. *shrugs*

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.