Just Labradors banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Saturday night, we were getting ready for bed. Toby was hanging out in the master bath, chewing on a nylabone (Chamois was already in bed of course!). Everything seemed perfectly normal.

All of a sudden, Toby started making a retching sound and then - without getting up from where he was lying - harfed. Harfed again. And again, and again. Until there was nothing left. He didn't get up or move while he was doing this, which is highly unusual. He kept jutting his head forward and repeatedly sticking out his tongue, as if he was trying to dislodge something.

Mark got him to sit up, and he reached into his mouth to see if he had gotten anything stuck. Nothing. I ran for a flashlight to see if I could see a bit further down. Nothing. He was breathing OK, so we knew he wasn't choking, but he was clearly in pain and panicking. There wasn't anything strange in the harf (except its sudden appearance on my bathroom rug), no blood, no bits of foreign objects.

Just when we were about to put him in the car and rush to the e-vet, he got interested in the flashlight beam and started trying to play with it. That broke the cycle of compulsive swallowing/head twitching enough for the panic to subside. Though he did keep licking his chops over and over. His breathing settled down, and he calmed down enough for us to really get a look in his mouth - nothing obvious. Mark took him downstairs in preparation for going to the e-vet and Toby ran over and started eating grass, so we decided to wait a bit longer before taking him since he seemed to be recovering. Back inside, he followed me to the kitchen and wanted food (a good sign and unsurprising since his stomach was completely empty except for a bit of grass), so I tore up a piece of bread and soaked it in a bit of milk. He ate it right up and asked for more. I waited another 20 minutes, during which time he was still acting like his throat hurt a bit, but was clearly much better, so I gave him some more. He ate, went upstairs, and crashed out by the bed. I got up several times during the night to check on him, and he seemed like he was still slightly uncomfortable but no problems. The next morning, he wanted breakfast as usual, and he pooped, so thank goodness no blockage.

We threw out the nylabone.

The only thing I can think is that he swallowed a fragment of nylabone, and it was sharp enough to irritate his esophagus on the way down. He hasn't had any problems since, but I've also removed the nylabones from "their room", the downstairs bedroom they stay in when we are at work and they do not go to doggie daycare. I don't want that happening again, especially if they are unsupervised. Chamois is bummed about that since she loves them, but henceforth, they will only have the heavy-duty kongs to chew on when we're not home.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I'm so glad Toby's okay. I'm not a big fan of Nylabones. Libby tries to swallow the ends whole. I don't give them anymore either. Nor rawhides.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
That's scary!! We had something similar happen with Tucker, but my husband was able to get whatever it was out of his throat.

Thank God Toby is OK! :)

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Very glad to hear he is okay. That is a scary story. I don't care for nylabones since Ranger broken an end off of one as a puppy. I can easily see him swallowing it whole. Hugs to Toby!

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
That must have been scary. I am so glad Toby is okay. My girls always had Nylabones but since Abby broke a tooth on one...they are now all gone from our house.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Oh wow, how scary! Poor guy. I'm glad he is okay! I've never been a fan of the nylabones either.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I am glad toby is okay.

Fanny chews those things to bits in minutes and so I don't buy them anymore. They ignore rawhide, not good enough I suppose!

I give them marrow bones occassionally but Fanny will break the thinner ones and swallow the peices if I don't watch her.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I am glad toby is okay.

Fanny chews those things to bits in minutes and so I don't buy them anymore. They ignore rawhide, not good enough I suppose!

I give them marrow bones occassionally but Fanny will break the thinner ones and swallow the peices if I don't watch her.
I only give marrow bones now, but I have to watch Libby with the thinner ones, just like Fanny, she can break them and swallow the pieces. I always give those ones to Willy, he doesn't seem to swallow anything.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts