Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I know he's muddy. It's spring. I picked his feet out and de-mudded him the best I could.

I've been riding him all week and he's doing super. Yesterday we worked on standing still while I mounted, then not moving until I gave him a signal. Today he stood, but needed a refresher on not moving until I was ready.

Then we went down the driveway to the road, practicing our neck-reining back and forth over the driveway. Went into the road and down to the next house before halting him and making him stand then turning around and going up the neighbor across the street's driveway. Then halting again, then back across the road and up Bonnie's driveway and practicing more neck-reining. Then we turned around and went back down the driveway at a trot before circling around one of the trees and coming back up at a slow walk while neck-reining.

Once we got up near the house we did some figure 8's around the garden area, then we came back up to the garage and stopped.

What a good horse!!!

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I told him today he was moving as I was grooming him out after our ride. It was so funny. He threw up his head and turned to look at me. I told him I'd be there on Saturday when he was moved so he didn't have to worry he was going someplace without me. He put his head back down and shut his eyes.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I'm sure Toby will like the new barn; he clearly knows that he's with you!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I told him today he was moving as I was grooming him out after our ride. It was so funny. He threw up his head and turned to look at me. I told him I'd be there on Saturday when he was moved so he didn't have to worry he was going someplace without me. He put his head back down and shut his eyes.
*BIG SMILE*

He's so handsome!!

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He's 15.1, Colin. He's the tallest horse at Bonnie's. Lady is just under 15 and Gracie is 14.2 or 14.3.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just realized I need to take my winter stirrups off my saddle. lol

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lol Colin. He's still small considering what I could have gotten. Everyone was telling me to get something at least 16hh since my legs are so long. I'd need a crane to get my ass up on a 16hh horse. I can't get on the one I have without a mounting block now. ;)

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
Everyone was telling me to get something at least 16hh since my legs are so long. I'd need a crane to get my ass up on a 16hh horse. I can't get on the one I have without a mounting block now. ;)
LOL!

He is a beautiful horse Laura!

One of the horses I use to ride was 17hh. I needed a leg up to get on him!! (Need to try and locate some pics)

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
What a good boy Tobes is. I think he finally got the drift from you and knows (or has figured out) what you want from him. He sure has come a long way. Amazing what good care, love and attention will do.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My knees are shot. The left one is better than the right, but there's still not enough spring in it to haul my ass up. Plus it's certainly not good for the horse's withers when you're struggling to get on too. I used to be able to grab the mane and flip myself up, but those days are over too. lol

1 - 20 of 29 Posts