Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My home computer died tonight - fan died, 2d fan, no longer made. So, I'll be looking for a new system. I'm sitting here using Lynn's notebook. I'll probably be scarce for awhile. See you all when I get a new system up and running. :(

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Eric!

I'll pull the old one and check the size. My old system is a Dell Slimline model and you know how Dell is with their parts. They never make it easy to fix them.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
G'day,

Depending on which fan died, your computer might still work just as well.
If, however, its the CPU fan thats died, then it'll cost you a bit more to replace it, I'd recommend any of the Thermaltake processor coolers, though you might want to look at Passive cooling if you've got a very slimline case (As a Fan & Heatsink combo won't fit)
If its just a case fan, get a small fan, open the case, and point your fan at the guts of the computer.

Cheers,

Pottsie

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pottsie said:
G'day,

Depending on which fan died, your computer might still work just as well.
If, however, its the CPU fan thats died, then it'll cost you a bit more to replace it, I'd recommend any of the Thermaltake processor coolers, though you might want to look at Passive cooling if you've got a very slimline case (As a Fan & Heatsink combo won't fit)
If its just a case fan, get a small fan, open the case, and point your fan at the guts of the computer.

Cheers,

Pottsie
Dell sucks! They use proprietary connectors so even if I go to the fan manufacturer for a new one, the connectors won't work. And they no longer make this computer or stock the fans.

Good idea on the passive cooling - I'll get a small fan that I can use to keep it cool temporarily. It's the CPU fan so as soon as things heat up I get a fan failure shutdown. At least with the passive fan I can start to move the stuff I need over to my external hard drive in case it fails completely.

I'm just going to get a new computer. Been talking about jumping to a notebook since we have the house set up for wireless - I'm standing at the kitchen island working off Lynn's notebook as I type this.

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
Sorry. I will never again buy one of the slim or smaller towers. The heat built up in mine and had to I replaced the cpu fan twice and when it went the third time it went in the trash.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Linda1 said:
Sorry. I will never again buy one of the slim or smaller towers. The heat built up in mine and had to I replaced the cpu fan twice and when it went the third time it went in the trash.
That's right where I am Linda. This is the 2d fan that blew - probably didn't help that the guy that fixed it put the fan in backwards! ;D
I didn't pay anything for the repair - he had the fan from another slimline that was going in the trash! So I can't complain - it gave me another year.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
FYI all you have to do is splice the new fans wires onto the old fans connector wires

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bearsdad said:
FYI all you have to do is splice the new fans wires onto the old fans connector wires
I was going to do that - can't find the right size fan. It is a wierd configuration due to the slimline case - vents out the side instead of the top of the fan. I am just tired of dealing with this crappy system.

A good friend of mine used to work for IBM - retired a few years ago. He can let family/friends use his employee discount. I just ordered a Think Pad T60 Widescreen notebook - loaded. Saved almost $800 with the discount! :D

Now I just need to figure out how I want to move my data from the old system.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts