Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my last post, which got a few views what is everyone else's?
I have owned 2 dogs when I was growing up with my parents and now Kc. Has any one else out there tied there dog up outside a shop or school?

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I sometimes tie Mambo out front of my house, but I am always out there with him and would be able to see if he got stuck. I think some places dont even allow it anymore (legally).

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Haven't and wouldn't. I tried tying my first dog one time for five minutes to a fence post, she nearly strangled herself and I will never do it again.

I just don't take Billie shopping with me. I'll take her walking around an outdoor shopping area that is somewhat dog friendly but I don't go in, unless it's to the pet store. Kansas City is NOT a dog friendly town.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
HK got tied up on a long lead (25 feet) when I mowed the grass. She was happier outside watching me than inside, but i could not trust her to stay on the property. That issue has been worked through and I will not have to tie her this coming year. In the neighborhood, she is never on lead. She recalls well and will sit/down stay on command. I can cross the street to talk with a neighbor and she will not move. Have to work on this more in a more public place with more enticing (little people/other dogs) distractions. We do go along to strip malls and practice as mom wanders around in some of her favorite shops.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Not me. I'd be afraid someone would take them and I'd never forgive myself. Even when I take them to the store in my Jeep, I lock the doors. Even then, I only take them if I'm going to run and in run out.

You're not from the States, are you? I think that's more common in Europe. :)

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
It is very common around here for people to tie their dogs out in front of coffee shops, etc. I do it as a training exercise (put him in a down-stay and walk into a shop), but I watch him all the time. Even though he'd probably be safe in my neighborhood, I don't like the idea of people hassling him while he's holding a down-stay (even though people generally mean well, it's pretty stressful for him to be pet when he's trying to hold still).

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
I do not tie my 2 up outside shops or schools unless i can see them...there are alot of doggy thefts around here and even though noone would be intrested in penny alfie is a yellow lab in tact, nice looking and apparently nearly white is very desirable

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Nope, never tied to anything even if I can see them!

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Nope.....I wouldn't and I won't. :)

·
Registered
692 Posts
I can't recall tying my dogs to anything.

When I was a child the dog I posted about in an earlier thread named Puddles was tied in the front yard by herself to go to the bathroom. Mom was standing in the doorway waiting for Puddles to finish and come inside. A large dog charged the yard and attacked her. She lived, but was badly injured. The dog picked her up in his mouth and flung her from side to side. She required multiple stitches and staples.

I do not tie my dogs to anything. If I can't stand with them holding a leash at all times I leave them at home and find another time to exercise or socialize them. I understand our lives are very different though. I have an hour commute to work, grocery shop 30 minutes driving distance from my home and absolutely NOTHING is in walking distance from my house since I live in BFE. There aren't even sidewalks where I live.

I still wouldn't risk it though. Too many people would want to run away with one of my boys and they would happily tag along with them. Either that or somehow get loose and wind up in the street. Or a kid could terrorize them. Too many things could happen for me to feel comfortable.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Absolutely not.

There is a chance that they could be hurt, taken, hassled, etc. whilst I am in the store completely unawares. There isn't any bit of merchandise I could buy that is worth taking that risk. NO MATTER how small or remote that risk might be, it is still there, and that's enough for me to exercise caution.

ETA: I don't use tie outs at all unless I am right with them. Not even on my own property.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I have never tied a dog outside any place that was not my own home.

As I do not have a fenced yard, our boys go out to potty on a 25' tie-out. They are in our sight the entire time they are outside, even though we live in the country and someone would have to stop their car on the road and walk into the side/back yard to get to them. They stay out long enough to do their business, then they come back in the house. The tie-out is on a swivel buried in the ground and is placed so that they cannot get it tangled on anything. Of course, watching them aim at a tree that's three feet away is quite amusing! ;)

·
Registered
250 Posts
I was thinking about posting a question like this because I had been wondering the same thing.

Last week I had the kids home for Christmas break and needed to get bread so thought I would take everybody to the store to get out and get some exercise. When we got there I let my oldest, six, go in the store (small convenience one that we go to often) and I waited outside with the dog because I did not feel comfortable tying him to one of the poles outside. I was able to watch my son the whole time he was in the store from the window and the people there are very nice and know us, but a lady was standing outside and couldn't believe that I let my kid go in by himself. She told me that many people tied there dogs up and were fine, but the poles are right in front of the parking spots, not where I would be able to see him, and then there is the fact that someone could hurt or take him or that he might jump up on someone walking by. I think I am a pretty protective parent and my son still has to even cross the street with me and I rarely let him out of my sight if we are outside, but he is in grade one and I think is responsible enough to buy some bread, although I did have the door open and was talking to him while he paid.

Anyways, I was wondering what people did with their dogs if they wanted to run into the convenience store to buy milk or something quick?

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Joey said:
Anyways, I was wondering what people did with their dogs if they wanted to run into the convenience store to buy milk or something quick?
If I had my dog with me and needed to get something, provided the weather was acceptable the dog would stay in the locked car. Depending on where I was of course.

For instance, I was at the fire station helping Scott vacuum out his car on Sunday. We were done with mine. Billie stayed in my car, locked in. I could not see her the entire time, obviously my head was inside Scott's car while I was vacuuming. (before anyone asks, we can't use our driveway. We have to take our shop-vac to a flat spot - our driveway is useless because it is so steep. I can't even walk down the **** thing in high heels. So we go to the fire station where Scott is a volunteer firefighter.)

I have not taken her with me to run other errands thus far, but I would run into the gas station should I need to (the local one, not the one by the interstate).

If I lived in a smaller town, one that wasn't right next to a major interstate and intersecting with a major highway, and one that had small grocery or convenience store I might be more amenable to taking my dog on an errand with me and leaving her in the car in the winter. As it is, I am unlikely to do so unless it is a specific set of circumstances. And I don't walk to any stores in my area.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Joey said:
Take the dog home and make a separate trip. :)

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Joey said:
Wait a minute. You're not suggesting that people actually <gasp!> WALK to the store, are you? :eek:

:)

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
I rarely ever do. I have done in the past but ONLY if I can see them clearly at all times and I know I will be literally less than a minute. But I haven't done it in a long, long time and I avoid it.

It makes me cringe when dogs are left tied outside shops and restaurants for long periods.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Trickster said:
I rarely ever do. I have done in the past but ONLY if I can see them clearly at all times and I know I will be literally less than a minute. But I haven't done it in a long, long time and I avoid it.
I have only done it to get coffee, newspaper, dry cleaning. In all of those places, I have a good view of him at all times. We live in a neighborhood that is busy and people walk places. I am not one to take risks with my dog, but people know Theo around here, and there is sort of a culture of people taking their dogs everywhere. More typically, I will be walking with SU or someone else, and one of us will go in the store and the other will wait outside with him. Our dry cleaner lets you bring dogs inside. :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts