Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did/do your children's grandparents take an interest in them? Do they ask if they can keep them for a day....or a night just for no reason at all?
Do they want to come over and spend time with them? What do real grandparents do? I have no idea.

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
I have no children.. but my sister does.

She lives about 4 hours away and my parents go there all the time to see Matthew. In fact they're there right now for a week babysitting while my sister and BIL are in Jamaica.

They'd do anything for that kid.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I hate to say this, but my father likes his girlfriends grandchildren better than his own. :(

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow....I think that's so neat. My MIL did come here for a week when John and I went on a cruise a year ago....which was awesome. Even if she did type up a 10 page booklet (left one on each of our nightstands) outlining everything we're doing wrong as parents and humans. *gulp* But we had to beg her to do that. She had never kept them before or since.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jzgrlduff said:
I hate to say this, but my father likes his girlfriends grandchildren better than his own. :(
Same with my dad. He knows his step-grandchildren better than his real grandchildren.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Even if she did type up a 10 page booklet (left one on each of our nightstands) outlining everything we're doing wrong as parents and humans.
Tell me you're kidding? :eek:

·
Registered
903 Posts
Did/do your children's grandparents take an interest in them? No
Do they ask if they can keep them for a day....or a night just for no reason at all? Never
Do they want to come over and spend time with them? Nope!
What do real grandparents do? I have no idea. I'd like to know as well. *sigh*

My MIL is one of the poorest excuses for a grandparent I've ever seen. She took ZERO interest when I was pregnant. Sent him one small box consisting of a mismatched shirt/shorts a bib and a small toy. After having visited us each summer we lived in CA for the entire summer, she never made it out not once when Nolan was born. They didn't see him until he was a year old, and that was only because DHs company flew us out to Ohio for a week of house hunting. Couple that with the fact that she never takes an interest in seeing his pictures and in fact, said he looked like an "alien" in his 6 week professional photos - and I'd say she's probably not your typical grandparent. In contrast, my BILs out of wedlock daughter has received everything under the sun and she watches her CONSTANTLY so BIL and his on/off again girlfriend can go "party". Nice. My FIL is an awesome grandparent when he is with Nolan, however my MIL runs the show and if she doesn't see Nolan - nobody sees Nolan. It's sad. What makes it even more heartwrenching for me is knowing that my mom would have given anything to be a grandma and would have loved Nolan like no other. And in knowing that, it kind of seems like a slap in the face to me seeing my MIL almost completely disregard her grandson.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jzgrlduff said:
Even if she did type up a 10 page booklet (left one on each of our nightstands) outlining everything we're doing wrong as parents and humans.
Tell me you're kidding? :eek:
Oh nooooo....absolutely serious. It was brutal.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Heather said:
Did/do your children's grandparents take an interest in them? No
Do they ask if they can keep them for a day....or a night just for no reason at all? Never
Do they want to come over and spend time with them? Nope!
What do real grandparents do? I have no idea. I'd like to know as well. *sigh*

My MIL is one of the poorest excuses for a grandparent I've ever seen. She took ZERO interest when I was pregnant. Sent him one small box consisting of a mismatched shirt/shorts a bib and a small toy. After having visited us each summer we lived in CA for the entire summer, she never made it out not once when Nolan was born. They didn't see him until he was a year old, and that was only because DHs company flew us out to Ohio for a week of house hunting. Couple that with the fact that she never takes an interest in seeing his pictures and in fact, said he looked like an "alien" in his 6 week professional photos - and I'd say she's probably not your typical grandparent. In contrast, my BILs out of wedlock daughter has received everything under the sun and she watches her CONSTANTLY so BIL and his on/off again girlfriend can go "party". Nice. My FIL is an awesome grandparent when he is with Nolan, however my MIL runs the show and if she doesn't see Nolan - nobody sees Nolan. It's sad. What makes it even more heartwrenching for me is knowing that my mom would have given anything to be a grandma and would have loved Nolan like no other. And in knowing that, it kind of seems like a slap in the face to me seeing my MIL almost completely disregard her grandson.
I'm so sorry. I can totally relate. (((((HUGS)))) :'(

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Hey we're grandparents! Do we count?

We love having the grandkid over. Alexis is a little young yet at 2 to want to spend a night without Mommy, but she loves coming over for the day. We do all sorts of things with her. We like zoo's,the childrens museum,skating (just introducing her),hiking and just hanging out watching Shrek. She loves our dogs and gets a kick out of overfeeding them treats. Grandpa spoils Alexis and I do not intend to stop. I'm not sure how other GP's are with their grandchildren but we are young in age (and heart) and really enjoy her company.

I think our geographical closeness plays a big role in how often we get to see her. I grew up not really knowing my grandparents as we were seperated by 250 miles. Families didn't travel as much in those days. We moved back from Georgia just to be near our kids and grandchild. (another grand child due in mid-May ;D)

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Did/do your children's grandparents take an interest in them? SU's parents more than mine.Mine ask about them and see them at family get togethers but don't call or come by just to see them.

Do they ask if they can keep them for a day....or a night just for no reason at all? Su's mom did a lot when they were younger

Do they want to come over and spend time with them? SU's Mom does
What do real grandparents do? do all the above ..I am assuming

J

·
0 Posts
I do not have any kids but I can talk about my experiences with grandparents. My mom's parents were awesome, would watch me and my sister all the time, take us sailing. They had 14 grandchildren and treated them all the same.

My dad's parents moved to Bosten as soon as I was born (I was the first grandchild on that side). There are only 3 grandchildren and they never showed an intrest in any of us. My grandmom on my dad's side is the only grandparent that I have alive still. I barely ever visit her (they moved back to MD when I was 18). I feel like I have nothing to talk to her about.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
My kids are very fortunate to have two sets of grandparents who dote on them constantly. We see my FIL and his wife at least once a week. And we see my parents once a month. My inlaws take the kids for the weekend every so often. And they try and plan some day trips with them in the summer.

My MIL and her husband are worthless as grandparents. She is so selfish and he's just a jerk. And I think my daughter is starting to realize that.

It makes me so grateful that they have good grandparents. I didn't. My grandmother was quite judgmental and had favorites. I hope that when there are other grandchildren, our parents are able to devote time to everyone equally and not have favorites. My MIL won't be able to do that- but the others should have no problems.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
I'm not a parent yet but we're working on it. I know both my parents and inlaws will be great grand parents. My parents are an hour and a half away but we visit often and they will come down here if need be. My inlaws are only 10 minutes away and we see them at least weekly. They are always watching my BIL's girlfriends kids (he's not the father) sometimes over night just for no reason other than they like having them around. My grandparents were very involved with our lives while they were still with us as well.

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
I had awesome grandparents.

Courtney's paternal GP were involved as much as I'd let them be - not much since father abandoned her b4 birth.

Courtney's maternal GP decided I was a horrible human, and did everything for and with her they could - including not letting me have time with her (it was much easier to give in than to fight my mom on this - she is nasty!) (no - no drug or alcohol or abuse issues here just a control freak!) Gave her a TON of things I never could have - loved her more than they ever loved me and in short are actually more her parents than I could have been if allowed the precious time. I resent them for taking her, but I love the things their money and free time has allowed her to do - Europe (1st time at 8 yo) Rome, high dollar eduction. Wonderful child - now all grown up - wonderful adult. We love each other, but are not close.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
My parents are very close to my kids. They get them at least twice a month for the weekends (they call and ask for them). They would drop anything to watch them if we needed it. They're a hour away or we'd probably see them more often. I talk to my mom several times a day, so she talks to the kids daily.

Jason's mom & step-dad are 6 1/2 hours away, so we don't see them as often (every 2-3 months), but they are very involved with the boys' lives. They call a couple of times a week to talk to them, and when we go over there, she always makes us go on a date so she can keep the boys by herself a few hours. We went on a cruise a couple of years ago, and she kept the boys the 8 days we were gone. Next year, she said that she was going to start taking them for a week every year - either during spring break or during the summer.

Jason's dad and step-mom are pretty much non-existant in all of our lives. We hear from them on Jason's birthday, Father's day, and Christmas. The boys have no clue who he is. They're closer to their great-grandparents than him, and two sets of them live in California! What's sad is that the kids have seen them more. Oh well... My great-grandfather sees them about once a month or so. He likes to spoil them, but they're still a little guarded around him for some reason. My grandparents lived next door to us when I was growing up, and I practically lived at their house! My mom said when I was 3-4, I used to sneak out of the house in the middle of the night and go over there to sleep, lol If my kids did that, I'd freak out.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Shanna and I didn't have doting grandparents either. My mother's mom was and still is a bitter, mean, hateful woman that disliked all of us. She would tell my mom that her kids were spoiled and mouthy.
I was scared to death of her. My dad's mom was basically old and grandma'ed out by the time I came along. I was the youngest of a whole lot of grandkids. My exposure to her was limited. I don't fault her
though. I know she loved us very much. She was just so old by that time.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
Courtney has always had a close relationship with her maternal grandmother. Her grandfather is deceased. My parents were divorced when she came along and she never met him.

The sperm donor's parents have never had anything to do with her. Their loss.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Charla said:
Shanna and I didn't have doting grandparents either. My mother's mom was and still is a bitter, mean, hateful woman that disliked all of us. She would tell my mom that her kids were spoiled and mouthy.
I was scared to death of her. My dad's mom was basically old and grandma'ed out by the time I came along. I was the youngest of a whole lot of grandkids. My exposure to her was limited. I don't fault her
though. I know she loved us very much. She was just so old by that time.
My husbands mother told us our kids are disrespectful and rude because they don't say HI as soon as they walk in the door. What they don't realize is that my kids do not know them that well and are a bit on the shy side. But since they are so freakin selfish, they assume it is the kids problem, not theirs. Hence the reason we no longer speak to the witch. I don't have time in my life for her. She still sees the kids every now and again, as we let them go with my SIL. But I won't be surprised when both kids decide they don't want to go because their Nanny is a major *****.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts