Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Regular leash

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do people use retractable leashes? I don't see the point to them. Don't you want your dog to walk next to you, not pull, and stay by your side on walks? Or am I just a weirdo for wanting apollo to stay by my side on walks? I wanted to see what people's opinions were on retractable leashes. I don't really care for them. How about you? Which leash do YOU use?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
If I'm going on a walk with a dog, I use a regular leash (4 or 6 ft). I use flexis when I'm traveling with my crew and airing them at shows/trials/tests. It allows them to get a little distance from me while finding that perfect place to potty.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
When I'm out walking with Henry, or if we're doing training, he's on a 6ft leash. Yes, when we're heeling, I want him right beside me. When we're just out walking, I don't mind where he is, as long as the leash is slack. I don't need for him to be in perfect heel when we're just out for a stroll.

I also have a Flexi for him (the kind that is the retractable flat tape-leash vs the regular Flexi cord) that I use if we're hiking in the woods (not around other people) and I don't want him off leash completely.

I do have a bone to pick with those owners of (most frequently) little dogs whom we've met time and time again in the park or walking on the street. These (most frequently) little dogs are allowed to hit the end of their Flexis, while the owner is oblivious to where his/her dog is. I don't think that's right. If you're in an area where there are other people or dogs, you should be well in control of your own.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
I didn't vote (haha) because I use both.

If we're in a big open space (ie: the beach, or a big park) and I don't want the girls off leash, but want them to have a bit of room to explore/ roam I'll use the flexi leash...or a long 30' cotton web lead

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
henrysmom said:
little dogs are allowed to hit the end of their Flexis, while the owner is oblivious to where his/her dog is.
OMG - yes! It irritates the crap out of me. Yesterday, I had to take Stella to the vet for her Kennel Cough and I had to wait inside the double doors before entering because there was a woman standing there filling out some papers at the counter and her Cocker was on the flexi at the longest point. Well, I know how Stella would go after her, so I waited - and waited - and waited. Finally, she realized and retracted it - BUT only to a certain point, because there were a billion knots tied in it, where it must have broken. ::)

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
I don't use a flexi, but I think it's fine for people who have good dog sense and have trained their dog well on loose-leash walking and heeling. (For "airing out," as Nicole put it, and to allow a bit more freedom in those areas where you really can't go off leash.) I think it's something you can graduate to. I don't think it's a good idea to start with, because the constant tension in the leash can encourage pulling. I've also seen too many clueless people allow their dogs to get tangled up on the flexi.

I also prefer the thick, flat nylon flexis to the the ones with cords.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Personally I don't like them. My mom's dog pulls on his ALLL the time. ::) I like having apollo right next to me on our walks.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
I am still working with Tal and he is doing very well on his regular leash. For now, I don't want to risk his training. I got one (26' retractible leash) for when I started taking him to the lake to make sure he was comfortable with swimming. That lasted about one trip there.. :-\

Plus I am using a prong collar and when I learned the flexi leash constantly pulls it defeated the purpose of the prong collar by keeping constant tension on it and negating its effectiveness.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Just my 2c here, but I think (and this is probably when used inappropriately by those who do not know how use them properly) flexis encourage poor heeling habits (i.e. people let their dog walk at the end of the lead instead of walking at a heel, and dog thinks it's the norm). I use regular leashes.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I use both just depends on where we are going & what we are doing. BUT just to clarify, our Flexies are the full belt for giant dogs 150lbs & more (they actually have 2 full belt widths). Then I also have leather leashes & braided nylon leashes w/reflector tape. Been there done that with the little rope flexies :mad: We use our flexies most to take the girls, 2 at a time, out potty. ;D

·
Registered
116 Posts
Both Keri and I used flexis but have since learned to dislike them. I remembe5r an obedience trainer in Corvallis who we greatly respect, telling us that retractable leashes teach a dog to pull. We exclusively use European style leads now. I find the versatility is really helpful for controlling Peanut with my shoulder problems.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Sammi is either on the regular leash or free to run! Guess what one she likes best ;D- The only time I do use the retractable is when we are somewhere I wish she could run free, mostly at the beach where there are other people and leash laws, this allows her some freedom, but ultimately I can pull her in if needed!

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
I use both. While 90% of the time my dogs are off leash, I use a regular 6 foot when at classes or those rare times when we are on a street. Like Nicole, I use a flexi at shows/trials and hunt tests to air the dogs. My kids tend to be anal retentive, and need space in order to poop. (In fact I often have to matchstick them in order to get them to poop!)

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Zoe is on a 6' lead. She's a monkey, and needs to learn how to mind me.

We do off leash at the beach when I know we won't get caught. 8) :police: :police:

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
I think Flexi's have their pluses and minuses. On the positive side, they give the dog a LOT of extra freedom and room to explore. On the negative side they can be extremely dangerous if misused. So all in all I think you have to strike a balance. NEVER use one on an untrained dog, never use one in a built up area and know how to use the 'controls' properly.

Now, I do have a Flexi for each of my dogs. They are used when exercise is restricted to on-leash only (say, on the beach when dogs are not allowed during the summer, or for nighttime walks around the neighbourhood). But on our twice daily walks, I use regular nylon leashes as they are let off as soon as we reach our destination.

I can't stand people who misuse Flexi leashes as much as the next person. I remember when I was walking the dogs once we had a yappy Jack Russell (this is a NASTY little dog) bolt over the road at us while on a fully retracted Flexi. It came very close to being hit by a car. Another time I was walking at the beach with my mother and the dogs when a little Shih Tzu on a fully extended Flexi tripped me and my mum up. The old lady on the end of the leash had NO idea what was going on and didn't even apologise. Perfect example of two people who should not use a Flexi.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Just a note for lurkers who are learning about leads from this thread....FYI, never use a flexi lead with a prong or choke collar.

On that note, I use a flat.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I use both also. If I'm going somewhere where I want her beside me, I use the regular 6' leash. But if we are going over to the park to walk around the pond and through the woods, I put her on the 25' retractable leash so she can have more freedom and sniff.

At that particular park, there are soccer/softball fields at the other end. Sometimes, I put the 6 ft. leash in my pocket and when we are finished with the pond/woods, I'll put her on the 6 ft' leash and take her up to the soccer/softball fields to give her practice being around people and especially children.

I agree that having her on the retractable leash counteracts the work I'm trying to do with the 6' leash, but it's worth it to me. I think she needs that freedom occasionally.

I don't see anything wrong with either. It all depends on you and your dog and the way you interact.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
LabLady101 said:
Just my 2c here, but I think (and this is probably when used inappropriately by those who do not know how use them properly) flexis encourage poor heeling habits (i.e. people let their dog walk at the end of the lead instead of walking at a heel, and dog thinks it's the norm). I use regular leashes.
I agree with this completely.

I'd also like to add that I think because the dog feels a constant tension on the flexi (spring action of it) - it never really learns a relaxed walk on a leash. I know that when my dogs are on a leash and they start to pull - I make them stop. I don't allow that at all. I'd be too afraid they would get used to that "feeling" and never be able to go back to a regular leash without pulling.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts