Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have a question about raised food bowls

I have read that they can help to prevent bloat, and I have read that they can help to cause it too!! argh!

I personally like the aesthetics of the raised dishes better, but I wanted to get a feel for what people on here think..

do you raise your dogs dishes or no? do you have any particular reasons for raising vs. not raising? what have you heard or read?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
I think Nick recently posted a new study on a large # of dogs that was done at a university vetmed school that found that raising the bowl increased the frequency of dogs bloating. (Older studies had suggested that raised bowls decreased its frequency.) It evaluated a variety of factors and gave the degree of risk.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Rider eats froma raised bowl...Rookie does not, yet.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I do not use raised bowls. From what I've read, they used to think it was better for the dog, but now they are finding that it actually increases the chance of bloat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is actually Gabby's Mom (under BF's account) - the studies I read showed it could be easier on arthritis to raise the bowls, but could raise the incidences of bloat. Half dozen one way...

·
Registered
837 Posts
All four of mine eat from raised bowls. Coleman has bad hips and knees it is easier for him to eat standing, else his butt swings all over the place while he is trying to eat. Bailey was growing so fast as a pup we were told it is easier on his forelegs and shoulders with raised bowls. Tootsie has lp, there is less choking with a raised bowl. When Sarah grew tall enough her bowl was raised too.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Trickster said:
Personally I think it is unnatural for a dog to eat out of a raised bowl. Naturally they eat off of the floor.
that was my thought also, especially if they are eating raw :)

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
Barnsley said:
Trickster said:
Personally I think it is unnatural for a dog to eat out of a raised bowl. Naturally they eat off of the floor.
that was my thought also, especially if they are eating raw :)
I've always thought the same thing, too. The only reason I raised Mick's bowls was because he had laryngeal paralysis. It was easier for him to eat and drink with his dishes up on a box.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I originally used the bowls on the ground, but we got new floors and she made less of a mess with the bowls elevated... Both worked fine otherwise...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts