Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 3 weeks ago (maybe a little less), I changed Sally and Hoppy's food. They were both on Nutro chicken, rice and oatmeal. Sally has been on that since she was a puppy. Never any problems.

I changed her to Natural Balance AMP. That's a new food from Natural Balance that is high protein for active dogs.

Now, for Hoppy. We have no idea what food he was on. We know what he was on for the 3 weeks he was back at his breeder before we got him. But when we got him, we put him on Sally's food. He never had any problems at all. So, I'm assuming he went from his previous owner's food to the breeder's food to our food all within a month. No problems. Always had good poops.

When I decided to change Sally, to keep from having 3 different foods, I changed him to Spud's food which is Natural Balance fish and sweet potato.

Well, ever since I switched them, both Sally and Spud have had anywhere from soft to runny poops. For about 7-10 days I mixed their food, but still bad poops. And a lot of poops. Both of them poop probably 3 or 4 times a day.

I've tried mixing in pumpkin and rice with their food. At one point, I gave them a couple of imodium pills because it was so bad. Now, it's very, very, VERY soft.

I'm really surprised at Hoppy especially because he had switched food 3 times so quickly with no problem.

Any ideas to firm it up and keep it firm? Also, what did I do wrong so I don't do it again?

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
I can't tell you how many issues I've had with Abbey and loose poops. We've tried a bunch of different foods and one of them that caused major problems was Evo. It was too rich in protein for her, which might be the culprit for Sally and the AMP.

You can try to mix the AMP with something lower in protein to offset it, but it just might not work... :(

Also, with Abbey, every time I switch her food, I have to do it over a month's time, not just a week. Her system is really sensitive, so I have to slow things down otherwise it's loose stools for a loooong time.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
I was going to say what Betsy said, just feed them a bit less. It just be too much food for them. Ollie gets really soft poops too if he eats too much in one meal, so he still gets lunch, the lucky boy.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
I think you would slowly increase the amount from half, and see at what point you get the runny poops again. Then back down a bit and feed that amount.

Is the AMP higher in kcals than what they were all eating before?

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
High Protein diets have higher calories. WHen I was feeding EVO to the boys, they were only eating 1 cup twice a day. Anything other than that, they'd get loose stools and they'd gain weight. You have to be careful with high protein diets. Cut their foot back significantly. I promise you they won't lose weight.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
henrysmom said:
I think you would slowly increase the amount from half, and see at what point you get the runny poops again. Then back down a bit and feed that amount.

Is the AMP higher in kcals than what they were all eating before?
I'll start doing that today.

High Protein diets have higher calories. WHen I was feeding EVO to the boys, they were only eating 1 cup twice a day. Anything other than that, they'd get loose stools and they'd gain weight. You have to be careful with high protein diets. Cut their foot back significantly. I promise you they won't lose weight.
I didn't realize that. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
It might be Natural Balance period. Derby had been on it for 3 years (potato and duck) and then about 2 years ago, he had nothing but diarrhea, mucus, blood in his poops. He was treated for Giardia, though the test came back negative. Did the pumpkin, did the chicken and rice, etc. He'd firm up for about a week and then back to ploppy poops. I finally switched to another food, did a cold switch and in 2 days he firmed up. Last summer I thought I would given them another shot, tried their Venison and Potato, did a slow transition with a small bag, but as soon he was completely on the food for a couple of days, back to to having diarrhea and mucus. Put him back on his previous food, firmed up in 2 days. No more Natural Balance for my dog. You couldn't pay me to feed it, it cost me plenty in vet bills.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I wouldn't consider Natural Balance AMF a high-protein diet. Yes, it's higher in protein at 27% than Nutro at 21%, but when I think of high protein, I'm thinking more along the lines of 40% or more.

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
Dani said:
Mine did. When the ex and I both put ours on no grains, they all lost weight. The vet was "gasp" what is going on until we told her we switched to no grains and then she was like...oh good; well that explains it and is fine.

Mine and the ex's all lost about 8lbs. They are not on grain free any more but on EP that only has rice and oatmeal and are still maintaining a perfect weight.

Personally, I don't like Nutro or NB foods. Also agree with what kiddsmom said.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
If Sally and Hoppy were doing fine on the food you had them on, why did you change? I think I'd be going back to what worked!

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
AmazonGold said:
If Sally and Hoppy were doing fine on the food you had them on, why did you change? I think I'd be going back to what worked!
Well, I wanted to try Sally on a higher protein food since she trains and works so hard 4 or 5 days each week. So, since she and Hoppy were on the same food, that would have each of them on different foods. (Sally on higher protein, Hoppy on Nutro, and Spud on NB) So, my thinking went, I'll switch Hoppy to Spud's NB and then only have two foods to keep up with instead of three.

Make sense? Well, it did on paper! :whatever:

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
I agree with Felicia and the others who said cut back a bit. Erns has a lot of gut issues and when I was away his minder feed him too much. He was a sick boy when he got home. Runny poops etc. It is the same food he has been on for a year. I put him on rice to settle him and cut his food back. He hasn't lost weight and is much better.

I also feed 3 times a day so his gut isn't over loaded if it is unsettled.

·
Registered
868 Posts
No insight about the bad poops.

My JRT is a very picky eater, while Reba, the Lab, will eat anything and everything that is set in front of her. I believe I could not get the Chicken and Rice Purina Select and bought a bag of Natural Balance AMP. Both dogs love it. I fed the same quantity of it as of the Purina Select - 2 1/2 cups for Reba. She gained weight significantly. Cutting back to 2 cups a day did not seem to help. So I do not think you will have to worry about weight loss. :happy: Reba is now eating Natural Balance sweet potato and venison. Halle is still eating the AMP, but her activity level warrants it, I think.

If you can find a calorie count for the AMP, I would appreciate knowing. I have looked all over the bag and checked the website and can not find that information.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts